www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Jose May 7 - 17
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:35 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Headed back down to San Jose in May. Splitting my time between the Sportsmens and the Castillo, five nights in each. Hoping for some nice weather but it will be the start of the rainy season.

If anyone wants to grab a beer or two, give me a shout.

Post subject: Re: San Jose May 7 - 17
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:21 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Headed back down to San Jose in May. Splitting my time between the Sportsmens and the Castillo, five nights in each. Hoping for some nice weather but it will be the start of the rainy season.

Great. May 15 to 18. Newbie to CR.

i am confused about these 2 - seems Castillo is nicer(?) ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:01 pm 

hunkyfunky wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:

OK , you're confused. You've posted that in 3 or 4 places. The only way to figure it out will be to search all the posts on each one and decide which is best for you. Every one here may have their own preferences, but it is a split between all three. I'm certainly not going to try to write a book for you on the pluses and minuses of each one, but the book is here to be read, just keep reading various comments.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:33 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Zeos wrote:
hunkyfunky wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:

OK , you're confused. You've posted that in 3 or 4 places. The only way to figure it out will be to search all the posts on each one and decide which is best for you. Every one here may have their own preferences, but it is a split between all three. I'm certainly not going to try to write a book for you on the pluses and minuses of each one, but the book is here to be read, just keep reading various comments.

Thanks, I get it :-)
Sorry for multiple posts - opened multiple tabs and ended up posting everywhere.
I decided to go with Castillo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:11 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

You can read a lot of posts and get an idea of the hotel choices; you will get a diversity of opinion. But that’s like reading a lot of Yelp reviews to pick your new favorite restaurant. You will find some useful information about the atmosphere in each place, but the only way to be sure it actually fits what you personally like is to visit and hang out a bit.

For the four days you will be there, stay at the one that seems like the fit for you. Castillo is a good choice. But visit the others, hang out, have a couple beers, talk to a few chicas… Next trip you will know much better which hotel best fits your personal style

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:07 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

bulldog10 wrote:
You can read a lot of posts and get an idea of the hotel choices; you will get a diversity of opinion. But that’s like reading a lot of Yelp reviews to pick your new favorite restaurant. You will find some useful information about the atmosphere in each place, but the only way to be sure it actually fits what you personally like is to visit and hang out a bit.

For the four days you will be there, stay at the one that seems like the fit for you. Castillo is a good choice. But visit the others, hang out, have a couple beers, talk to a few chicas… Next trip you will know much better which hotel best fits your personal style

yeah.. i have the option of staying 2 days each....is it too much? castillo has my choice of room only for 2 days...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:32 pm 

hunkyfunky wrote:
bulldog10 wrote:

yeah.. i have the option of staying 2 days each....is it too much? castillo has my choice of room only for 2 days...

Moving around is a pain in the ass... different check out times versus check in times, etc. No problem with the Castillo, even if it isn't a favorite room...unless of course you are not liking it, then by all means try one of the others.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:39 pm 

I agree that changing hotels can be a pain but I pack light and the walk from the SL to the Castillo is pretty short (and a bit downhill). I normally wouldn't switch on a trip but I like both hotels and they both provide a unique experience. And I find that although the food at the Castillo is great, it can be a bit boring over a long stay. Also I have a tendency to eat and drink too much with the all inclusive and always pack on a few unwanted pounds.

I decided to do five nights in each. I opted for the Castillo second as room #18, the ground floor, king balcony was available for those dates. Also I like taking advantage of the free ride back to the airport.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:44 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Harddrive43228 wrote:
I agree that changing hotels can be a pain but I pack light and the walk from the SL to the Castillo is pretty short (and a bit downhill). I normally wouldn't switch on a trip but I like both hotels and they both provide a unique experience. And I find that although the food at the Castillo is great, it can be a bit boring over a long stay. Also I have a tendency to eat and drink too much with the all inclusive and always pack on a few unwanted pounds.

I decided to do five nights in each. I opted for the Castillo second as room #18, the ground floor, king balcony was available for those dates. Also I like taking advantage of the free ride back to the airport.

For me it is 4 nights and 3 days - so decided to go with Castillo. first 2 nights king, next 2 nights king with balcony. I dont know the room no though - its not in the confirmation mail.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:26 am 

On the ground tomorrow (5/7). Don't anticipate a late night as my outbound flight leaves Ohio at 5:30 AM. Stop in Atlanta and arrive SJO at 11:45AM. Hopefully will beat most folks to the immigration line. Unpack and a quick nap at the Sportsmens and the party can begin.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:19 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Harddrive43228 wrote:
On the ground tomorrow (5/7). Don't anticipate a late night as my outbound flight leaves Ohio at 5:30 AM. Stop in Atlanta and arrive SJO at 11:45AM. Hopefully will beat most folks to the immigration line. Unpack and a quick nap at the Sportsmens and the party can begin.

Have a safe trip and enjoy. We might get to have a beer on 15th night at Castillo!