www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:01 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I saw the announcement where they were finally going to let us poor folks from Ohio into the country starting November 1. Then got an email shortly thereafter from Bill that the Sportsmens was going to open (again) on October 15. I'd love to head down there early November, but I have a committed first-time sojourn to the Dominican Republic that starts this Sunday on October 11 through October 27.

I plan to primarily stay in Sosua at the Ahnvee with a couple of nights in Santiago as I fly back to the states from there. Sounds like there is still going to be some kind of curfew in place but it sounds like that can be worked around pretty easily, especially at the Ahnvee.

So I booked a Delta flight to SJO flying out on January 11 for 12 nights. Staying at the Sportsmens the entire trip.

The Delta flight was quite reasonable, Economy class $550 all in. I have status on Delta so I could get the exit row for no charge. And the Amex Platinum card has a promotion where you get a $200 credit if you use the card for travel (on any airline or at most hotels) and you book through Amex Travel. Their fare was the same as the fares on the Delta site so it was a no-brainer. Net $350 return Ohio to San Jose is a great deal.

Hopefully things get / remain stable in San Jose so the authorities don't change their mind. I'm holding off purchasing any travel insurance as I am sure those requirements will change before January.

Can't wait to get back down to San Jose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:15 am 

I thought Delta was not flying to SJO?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:10 pm 

I was able to book a flight in mid January, Columbus OH thru ATL into SJO. I could have booked directly on Delta but chose to use the Amex site to get the $200 statement credit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:55 am 

Thanks, perhaps Delta is starting up again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:18 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I also Use Delta I find it to be the best and fastest route from Columbus so good I got the Am EX Delta card for free bags :D I found some flights as early as October 30 back into SJO ... the prices seem to be High right now but with the Furloughs and lack of people with willing to Fly and no competitive rates from other airlines that's to be expected looking to go down in December

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:59 pm 

I don't believe that you get the $200 credit with the Amex Delta card (I have that one too for the free bags). I think the credit is only valid with the regular Platinum card. They wantwd almost $1100 more for first class. Too steep for me, Economy is just fine, especially with exit row seats.

So I bought my ticket with the Platinum card for the credit then I will check in at the airport with the Delta card for the free bag.

Yeah, in January it was a pretty good connection. Take off at 7:10 in the morning. Connect in ATL. Land in SJO at 1:30 that afternoon. At the Sportsmens by 3 pm.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:26 pm 

And banging by 4!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:20 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Harddrive43228: That's great you got a $200 credit not sure I ever brought that up :? and you are also aware that Basic Economy has a chance to get bumped and or lose seat assignments, IMO it's always worth the extra money usually $40-80 more to get Main Cabin on Delta. I bought a 1st class in Feb for $700 so yeah $1100 is way too high.

Whitecat: I'll be waiting a least a few weeks as more airlines announce some Flights back into SJO these prices will drop with more competition.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:38 pm 

Sorry when you mentioned the Delta Amex I didn't want you to think the credit was applicable.

The $550 fare was for main cabin with assigned seats not basic economy. And Medallion status (only Silver) let me get exit rows which are usually an upcharge.

I usually try to fly first or business but the fare was $1100 MORE or $1650. Way too much for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:44 pm 

I fly Delta alot and usually first class. If you have flexible dates and mark that on your search, it will show many different prices for the same flights but on different days. The last time I paid $830.00 for first class. Other dates were as much as $1,200.00. I just put in a search for December. Lowest first class seat was $935.00, highest was $2,400.00 because of the holidays. Same flights.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:05 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I saw the same thing Whitecat if the high prices don't drop I'll be booking Main Cabin Or Comfort +, They have also announced Blocked Middle seats on Delta until Jan 2021 so this gives us bigger guys more room and comfort.

HardDrive43228- no worries I just got the cheap $99 Am Ex Delta Gold. I don't travel with Delta enough to justify any larger annual fee. My offer is Spend 10k in a year and they give an $100 Delta Credit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:05 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Whitecat ... So finally after watching Delta Airlines for several weeks as of today they have added several more flights on my Route and prices today were cheaper than yesterday as well. I just Booked a RT Comfort+ $582 and I had a $100 credit with my Delta Gold CC. FYI - Middle seats also blocked thru Jan 6 on Delta flights.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:50 am 

Thanks for the update, TF!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Whitecat wrote:

Your welcome 1st Class was still way overpriced saw few RT over $2k ... very nice to see more flights being added

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:02 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

TF74 wrote:
Whitecat wrote:

Your welcome 1st Class was still way overpriced saw few RT over $2k ... very nice to see more flights being added

Just a few days ago Delta 1st Class Seattle to San Jose was just over $1000. I got American 1st for just over $1200. Need to keep the mileage family :lol: