www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:25 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

So, I stumbled onto this site researching out an upcoming "Dental Tourism" trip. However, the dentist I selected is way the hell out in El Ocotal, so I'm flying in/out of Liberia...and I figure, with the amount and type of work I'm getting done, I probably:

A. Won't be a very attractive candidate for anyone until I am leaving

and

B. Probably am not going to be up for anything, anyway.

Anyway, I'm down there the week of Dec 9...so please, that week hoist a glass for poor Panhead, who's whacked out on Painkillers and Nitrous Oxide while a stranger pokes sharp objects into his gums...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 pm 
Dude, Hold your horses. Private message coming.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:30 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I know many guys who have work done and had a great trip.....is it to late to change where its being done at?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:21 pm 

http://www.whatclinic.com/dentists/cost ... ion-dental

Most of the SJ dental offices mentioned by posters on this board are included in the above link. Cavellini's office and Prisma get high marks and best prices, serve both locals and gringos.

If you want the gas, better make sure your dentist provides it, not an absolute in CR, don't know why, and it is $$$ extra if he/she does. No charge over the initial quoted price for the work you need for as much novocaine as you want.

I had alot of heavy work done over a 6 month period with just novocaine and was only uncomfortable a few times for brief periods. I would have preferred the gas to have avoided that but it wasn't an option at one of the gringo popular offices on this board and is listed in the above link. I am just guessing that the doctor has to have added certifications in administering this form of anesthesia and some don't. Just a guess.

Party time? Depending on what work you have done, your diet may be limited to soup and the like if you have temps done like me. They also told me not to drink cold stuff but you know the answer to that. I partied every night.

How are you planning on getting from Liberia to SJ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:35 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Quote:
How are you planning on getting from Liberia to SJ?

I guess I wasn't clear - for this trip I wasn't planning to go to SJ at all. The dentist I selected survived a pretty detailed vetting process, and as I said, I'm figuring that I really will not be up for my "A" game with everything that will be going on it my mouth.

I had found the site mentioned before
Quote:
ttp://www.whatclinic.com/dentists/cost ... ion-dental
and initially was going to go with one of those dentists. That party was much cheaper, but definitely did NOT pass the vetting process. From further research, it appears that site may suppress negative information/reviews about it's advertisers. However, I am looking at options, so I will throw it open to the esteemed CRT members: if anyone has a dentist/oral surgeon they would recommend down there, who they personally used, I will check the dentist out. PM me if you want.

We're talking implants, root canal, all that fun stuff - the result of years of hard living, a nasty motorcycle accident, and a couple of intense barroom interpersonal relations. However, the follow up trip (post implants - just crowns) is but 6 months away and will be a very different proposition :D

And, if I'm feeling up to it - I guess I may be able to head to SJ for the day Tuesday/Wednesday - I'll be driving. But I 'm not planning on it given the aforementioned oral surgery.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:21 am 

Sounds like you are doing your due diligence.

If turnaround time is important, the labs where they are going to make your crowns and stuff will most likely be made in SJ and not in Guanacaste, maybe I am uninformed about clinics in Guanacaste. A popular gringo place is 90210 that advertises on this board and is one on the link I gave earlier in this thread, aks known as Smile Clinic and CR Detnal Team I think, their lab for making stuff is upstairs of the clinic so minimal turn around time.They did my temps while I was there and they were working on other parts of my mouth. But, heavy "vetting" as you term it will turn up some things, although only a few on this board. My feeling is that any busy clinic is going to have a bad result on occasion as in N.America as well.

You were smart to get a car, easy driving up there and alot of cool beaches. For chicas, Jaco is not all that far, 130 miles from Ocotal, on nice roads if you want to play around a little. Minimal action in Guanacaste although I think I have seen posts of some in Flamingo and Coco. My hunch is, having been to both once con SJ chica, it ain't worth the hunt. Driving to SJ for one day/night to me would also not be worth it, driving in SJ is a pain in the ass, and Jaco is a very cool alternative without that hassle.

Lots of girls in Jaco hanging around Hotel Cocal--that's the current hot spot as you probably have read on the board. Crummy beach but a much nicer beach, Playa Hermosa is only five 5 minutes away by car.

I think you'll be OK to drive after you are out of the chair an hour or so and the stuff has worn off. I didn't have any pain afterwards with similar procedures and more, but I did use the anti-inflamatory Rx after each session, and got an anti-inflamatory injection at the farmacia across the street from 90210 on Jeff's advice--you'll need a Rx for that too. I had no swelling and I attribute that to the Rx's. Jeff is really a cool guy who works at the clinic.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:47 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Great tips! Thank you very much!