www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Safety on the Streets
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:28 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I am reviewing Don Grodo's excellent map in prepartion for my first trip and am wondering 1) is it safe to walk from the BM/KL/DR area to Zona Blue and/or New Fantasy during the day? during the night? 2) If it is OK, approximately how far is the walk? 3) Lastly, the same question between Zona Blue and New Fanatasy, is it safe (day and night) and approximately how fare between the locations?

I am incredibly excited to be leaving tomorrow to experience my first trip.

Thanks in advance, this site is great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:10 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

It is safe to walk to all of the above during the day and most anywhere around downtown.Just use precautions like carry just money you need in front pockets,no credit cards unless you plan to use one.Pick pockets are a big problem in crowds.Early evening is OK if your comfort level is fine but most people take taxis after dark.The MP's mostly close my 9. Avoid walking by Morazan Park in front of Holiday Inn very late as that is the tranie hangout.Of course if you are with anyone I would be less concerned than walking alone.rbc100

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:14 pm 

Soxfan wrote:
I am reviewing Don Grodo's excellent map in prepartion for my first trip and am wondering 1) is it safe to walk from the BM/KL/DR area to Zona Blue and/or New Fantasy during the day? (yes,just a short walk thru parque morazan) ........................ during the night? (take a taxi )2) If it is OK, approximately how far is the walk? 3) Lastly, the same question between Zona Blue and New Fanatasy, is it safe (day and night) and approximately how fare between the locations? (a little stroll)

I am incredibly excited to be leaving tomorrow to experience my first trip.

Thanks in advance, this site is great!
........................you lucky man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:12 pm 

What's with these newbies? This is the 2nd time in a week that a guy has been a member for 6 weeks and waits until the day before leaving to ask some basic questions.

It's obvious he did little research otherwise he would know how poor and outdated Lump's map is compared to what we have in the VIP section on CRT.

You should be able to walk from the Del Rey to New Fantasy over to ZB and back to the Del Rey in 20 minutes. The whole trip is only 11 blocks.

Of course that doesn't include the 3 to 4 hours you spent in NF and ZB.

A note to all new CRT VIPs:
You paid for the privilege of being a VIP so use the resources available.

If you have questions do some research on the site. If you still can't find the answers by all means ASK, but don't wait until the last minute.

Last edited by Witling on Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:33 pm 

Soxfan,

The walk from the Blue Marlin, Key Largo, Del Rey area to the New Fantasy, Zona Blue area will take you about 15 to 20 minutes. As for safe walking during the day, my opinion is yes. As for safewalking at night, many will disagree, but I feel it is relatively safe. I personally have done it dozens of times with no problem. You may not want to risk it at night, and if that is your choice, you can easily get a cab to take you there for 500 to 700 colones.

As for the distance from New Fantasy to Zona Blue, it's about 2 blocks down the hill from New Fantasy and on the opposite side of the street at the intersection. As for the safety of day and night walking between them, my opinion is the same as above, however I'm sure others will disagree. I'll be disappointed if they don't.

Have a good time.

Zebra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:59 pm 

Zebra,
More like 5 minutes tops from KL to NF (3 blocks), but I agree with you completely on everything else you just posted.
---------------------
3 blocks =300 meters = .184 miles (call it .2 mile)
at 20 minutes/mile = 4 minutes
add 1 minute to cross Avenida 5 w/o getting killed by a speeding bus or cab :shock: = 5 minutes total

You guys need to get into better shape.

Last edited by Prolijo on Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:06 pm 

Prolijo are you running from KL to NF......5 minutes is maybe a little short, I agree with you that 15-20 is too much but it all depends on the individual. I would say the average person should be able to may the walk in 10-15 minutes.

Just my 10 colones input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:43 am 

I'm certainly glad we got that resolved. I stand corrected. Thank you.

Post subject: walking at night
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:20 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I know there are many people who walk around San Jose at night often and I used to myself. I also know three people who claimed that they had never had a problem who were robbed walking around the gulch or the parks north of there in the last 2 years. Two of them were stabbed and one was beat up. The wounds were not life threatening, but get a grip on reality -- San Jose at night is not very safe. Take a cab. All 3 of them talked about how it wasn't a problem before the incident, like a lot of the people on the board do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:41 pm 

Prolijo wrote:

Quote:

Nice equation but has no basis in reality in San Jose. 100 meters is one block here. That block might be 25 meters or it maybe 1000 meters. It is the next block not a precise measurement. Ticos say 100 meters for any one block distance not any precise measurement.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:11 am 

Ding Dong wrote:
Prolijo wrote:

Quote:

Nice equation but has no basis in reality in San Jose. 100 meters is one block here. That block might be 25 meters or it maybe 1000 meters. It is the next block not a precise measurement. Ticos say 100 meters for any one block distance not any precise measurement.
This is quite true, but whats your point? My point was that 15 minutes to walk 3 blocks was a bit excessive. I realize 100m/blk is just an approximation ticos use, which btw is why I didn't use .184 (though to be conservative I rounded up). Since in this case there is nothing particularly exceptional about these blocks, 1 block equaling 100m is actually probably a pretty good approximation. Even if its over or under by 10 meters or so and that would amount to a probable variance of less than 30 seconds (24 seconds actually). Furthermore, since I already have a much wider safety margin than that thrown into my estimate for crossing Avenida 5, I think I can stand by my original estimate. If I walk a little faster, there is no traffic on Avenida 5 and the blocks are a little shorter than average I might even shave my ETA down to 3 minutes. Hows that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:53 am 

I guess we didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:13 pm 

met a few newbies at the news cafe this morning, who had been robbed around the parque morazan last night.........they thought the tranny's were hot chicas and were down a few dollar's to-day..........