www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie with question
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:10 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Guys just joined VIP and had a question or two have read alot of posts so hope my questions are not redundant. Anyways just got back from Europe 2 week vacation lined up before I learned of CRT and have used up most of my vacation.

Wondering would a short trip say leave on a Friday morning return on a Monday evening be worthwhile or would I be spinning my wheels for too short a time? Also first time trip would u recommend staying in the belly of the beast at the BM or a little away at Presidente or Sportsmans? Would be in July so would lack of A/C be a problem hate to sleep in a hot room

Thanks for all you guys great info

Sammyboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:34 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Sammyboy.

The answer to that question has a lot to do with your financial status. If for example your airfare is $400.00 and you stay for 3 nights your daily air fare cost (DAFC) is $133.00 per night, if you stay for 2 weeks your DAFC is only $31.00.

If you can work out the financial end I think it is definitely worthwhile to schedule the trip. Given it is your first time and your limited time in town I would stay in the HDR (belly of the beast). Something everyone should try at least once.

Have fun :lol:

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:53 pm 

We don't know all your circumstances (flt times airfare, etc.), so this is a little hard to say. But it is definitely do-able. You won't have time for much else besides mongering, but you should be able to pack in quite a bit of chicas in just those few days. Sunday is generally slow and that might be a good day for you to experience a little bit of the rest of CR, with perhaps a whitewater raft trip or visit to a volcano, etc.

AS for hotels, The Del Rey (HDR) is not particularly popular with most vets, but for such a short trip and as a newbie that may be the best place for YOU. For just 3 nights the price differences in the various hotels are not going to add up to that much. OTOH, if you plan on taking multiple chicas each day back to your room (rather than mixing in some MP's and on-premises clubs), those $10 chica fees could certainly add up very quickly. The other reason, I don't think the HDR would be that bad is that since you are a newbie, the BM is something you're probably going to want to experience heavily, even immerse yourself in, and staying at the HDR right up the stairs is as immersed as you can get. The Presidente is a short walk away, but the SL is someplace better reached by cab after dark. If you were staying in town longer or had been there before, you would probably find the HDR to be a bit TOO much and will want to go further afield. But for your purposes it would be just fine.

AS for A/C, that again would depend on you. Speaking as one who comes from Florida, I find that usually a fan keeps things cool enough, particularly at night after the rains have cooled things down, but in July it can get a bit hot and if you're intolerant of that would probably be better off at a place with A/C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:54 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I prefer doing short trips. Keeps me from feeling burned out and bummed out. It is costly however...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:52 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Hey, if you are taking two days from work off take TH and Friday rather than Fri and Mon. Sundays are dead in most Latin countries, I use Sunday as my prefered travel back day.

Have fun and hope you can squeeze in a trip (or two),

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:06 pm 

Hola U-10,
I take a different tach. Sun., Mon., Tues.,Wed. are my favorite nights. For a first trip 3 nights would be great. Probably the best 3 of his life.
Sammyboy- go for it! I would bet you don't go to Europe again.

"Predators gather where prey abounds"

Post subject: Staying at the DelRey
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:08 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

The Delrey has rooms with A/C. Three days would still be a great time.

Post subject: Newbie with a question
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:46 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Thanks guys for the input am looking at a late June or late July trip have trips for work in early june and july or would probably going sooner.

One last question was thinking of purchasing a ballcap with the CRT logo from the logo shop on the CRT site and was just wondering if you guys thought would be good idea. Was thinking it might help meet the vets but didnt want to be overly conspicous if u guys thought that would be the case.

Thanks again for all the great info hopefully will meet some of you in CR in next couple of months

Sammyboy

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:46 pm 

Sammyboy,
A CRT cap is a GREAT way to be easily spotted by other members. You could also just walk up to small groups and ask "CRT?" like I do, if you don't mind sometimes seeming a little strange or foolish. Obviously, I don't have that problem. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:11 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Sammyboy, Your trip will be a short one but you will enjoy it. One day in CR is better than none. If you decide to do a day trip make sure it is the San Lorenzo Canopy Tour. It is a blast, probably one of the most enjoyable things I did other than the chicas. Actually, the canopy tour is better than being with a dead beat chica.