www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:44 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I have never been to San Jose, hence this question.
I have read on multiple occassions that it is not safe to walk alone in the San Jose downtown area and that Uber is the preferred mode of transport.
So is it unsafe even to go out for a after dinner stroll? I love to explore new cities on foot. Till what time is it safe to be outside alone, as per the exprienced folks here who have spent time in San Jose?
How about a short walk from SL to Castillo which is about 5 minutes? Is that safe at say 8 PM...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:32 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

tomato wrote:
I have read on multiple occassions that it is not safe to walk alone in the San Jose downtown area and that Uber is the preferred mode of transport.
So is it unsafe even to go out for a after dinner stroll? I love to explore new cities on foot. Till what time is it safe to be outside alone, as per the exprienced folks here who have spent time in San Jose?
How about a short walk from SL to Castillo which is about 5 minutes? Is that safe at say 8 PM...

Day time I've walked much or most of the downtown at one time or another. Never a problem.

Yes safe at 8 generally. Once in a while there are characters usually later. One well known guy that speaks good English and sometimes he helps people park their cars. I think he is harmless, but I told him to back off one time at about 11 at night as he was trying to talk and engage me in some sort of conversation. And once in a while there are individual trannies on the corners but usually later. Just say buenas noches if you want as you walk by. But after midnight it probably is a bit more sketchy especially if there are groups of unknown people at a corner or something.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:17 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Zeos wrote:
tomato wrote:

Day time I've walked much or most of the downtown at one time or another. Never a problem.

Yes safe at 8 generally. Once in a while there are characters usually later. One well known guy that speaks good English and sometimes he helps people park their cars. I think he is harmless, but I told him to back off one time at about 11 at night as he was trying to talk and engage me in some sort of conversation. And once in a while there are individual trannies on the corners but usually later. Just say buenas noches if you want as you walk by. But after midnight it probably is a bit more sketchy especially if there are groups of unknown people at a corner or something.

Thank you for the information!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:04 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

It is as safe or dangerous as walking in any big American city.
Use similar precautions.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:00 pm 
Honestly, it is always better to be cautious whether in San Jose or in time square... Keep forewarned in any situation and always be one step ahead....