www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:39 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I use my daily USA Verizon phone when in CR. They have an agreement with Claro. Not extra charge for talk or text. Not sure about data. I'm always on wifi for Whatsapp and web browser.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:02 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Previously I was able to get my TMobile to work in Costa Rica both for voice and texting. I could also place calls to the US on TMobile. Then with Whatsapp I could call and receive calls with people located in Costa Rica whether I was in CR or the US so long as I had internet access.

Does anyone know if this still works? I've not been down to CR in a while so confirmation of this will be appreciated.

Is low self esteem a prerequisite for being a good Ho or is it a result? ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:34 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Lennydo wrote:
Previously I was able to get my TMobile to work in Costa Rica both for voice and texting. I could also place calls to the US on TMobile. Then with Whatsapp I could call and receive calls with people located in Costa Rica whether I was in CR or the US so long as I had internet access.

Does anyone know if this still works? I've not been down to CR in a while so confirmation of this will be appreciated.

T-Mobile still works in CR thru Claro Costa Rica for both voice and texting to and from USA as of February 2023.
You can continue making and receiving calls on WhatsApp while in CR as long as you have WiFi.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:00 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

In August of 2022, AT&T started providing free talk, text, and data in Costa Rica plus other Latin American countries. It may require an unlimited plan, which I have. Used it several times in Costa Rica and Mexico with no charges except for a 10-cent international long distance overage charge. I can even use my phone as a mobile hotspot for my computer and other phone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:47 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Does anyone know if this still works? I've not been down to CR in a while so confirmation of this will be appreciated.[/quote]

T-Mobile works fine in Costa Rica. If you are on their premium Magenta Max you actually get a nice data package with 5gb high speed included.

Upon arrival you will get a text message with options and info on your costs. Basic T-Mobile plans or any old Sprint plans like I currently have, I would recommend buying an international package especially if you’re traveling or plan on being outside your hotels Wi-Fi.

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-pla ... Y4LHD29981

I have found even something as simple as ordering an uber exploring San Jose W/O a high-speed data package or Wi-Fi can be difficult and frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:12 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I also have an old Sprint plan and w/o the international add-on, it's pretty much useless for data. In fact, I keep a link on my phone to purchase a plan because my data link is so slow without it it sometimes takes an hour or more for the new offer to arrive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:16 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

LocoGringo wrote:
In August of 2022, AT&T started providing free talk, text, and data in Costa Rica plus other Latin American countries. It may require an unlimited plan, which I have. Used it several times in Costa Rica and Mexico with no charges except for a 10-cent international long distance overage charge. I can even use my phone as a mobile hotspot for my computer and other phone.

I did not even realize that had happened. I had on old ATT plan with the $10 a day international plan for years that I used and this year I finally bit the bullet and just got the unlimited everything plan. What a plus that many Latin American countries are now included at no additional cost.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:10 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I also have a $10 a month International call and text plan that got me $1.99 a minute rates. Not sure I really need it anymore with the new Latin America coverage and Whatsapp. Never tried their daily plan. Here is a link to the info on their free international talk, text and data with an unlimited plan.

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-dat ... n-america/