www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:39 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Does any one know what stores sell it in San Jose other than a gun store.
Can you buy it at a hardware store or wall mart in San Jose. Does any place near the lodge sell it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:33 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Perfectly legal in Oregon. I have five cans hidden around the house and one in each car.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:36 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Yes you can buy pepper spray in CR. Walmart does not have it. A big hardware store may have it. A gun store is your best bet.
I saw it for 10 mil at a variety store in Cartago. So ask around

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:58 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

You might be able to buy it but be prepared for an incredible amount of hassle / mordita / even arrest if you use it on a citizen of Costa Rica. Regardless of whether you are right in using it and are in fear of your life or not, the police are going to side with the local in most cases. And in Costa Rica it is not innocent until proven guilty. It can be detention in a pretty bad place until they feel like doing something about it (or you pay $$$$$$$).

Take taxis after dark, don't walk around too intoxicated and avoid the sketchy areas in centro. If you must walk after dark, find a wingman willing to take the journey with you. Avoid conversations with strangers on the street.

Been coming here for over 20 years and the only real incident I had was being pickpocketed and that was my fault as I was walking after too many beers from Theos (Malibu) to the Taormina. I guy ran by me and quickly extracted my wallet after bumping into me. Pepper spray wouldn't have helped as he was well past me before I would have been able to get it out of my pocket. He was probably disappointed as the only thing in the wallet was a laminated copy of my passport and a copy of my entry stamp. My cash was loose in my other pocket.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:17 am 

I googled a bit and found this place -

http://sts-cr.com/en/shop/pepper-spray/ ... ray-15-oc/

Also, this old thread popped up -

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=48210

Looks like the place on Calle 5 is still open, Armeria REX. Sells pepper spray. According to google maps it is a 10 minute walk from SL.

Armeria REX, Calle 3, El Carmen, San José Province, San José, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:45 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

floridajohny wrote:
Can you buy it at a hardware store
Just buy a small can of hornet spray, perfectly legal to have and much more potent than Mace, and you can buy it at a hardware store.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:22 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I don't know why everyone is worried about self defense here.

First of all, highly unlikely you will be mugged in the daytime in the areas we frequent, and usually it's a hit and run, and the mugger is long gone while you're fumbling in your pocket for spray or anything else.

I have been going and living downtown for decades and never got a serious threat, in the daytime. Stay away from brothels on calle 6, lol, or south of Avenida 2, even in the daytime and you should be fine.

Don't get drunk in public.

Don't wear flip flops out in the street. If I see you I might knock you over just for fun and run, even pushing 68 you won't be able to catch me, you tell the world you're an easy tourist target.

COMPLETELY ignore strangers talking to you, don't give any response, keep walking.

Take cabs and Uber at night.

Try to hang with at least one friend, the more the merrier in walking around in public.

Don't go to a ho'z house.

All in all, I lived in S Florida decades and view San Jose as dramatically safer if you use common sense and don't attract attention and don't make stupid decisions.

Of course you can always buy a big long umbrella and go to EPA and get a big steel bar to put in it and bash heads of anyone who looks at you cross eyed, but that would be a last resort... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:53 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I just wrote about wasp-hornet spray as an alternative to buying mace, it's more potent and has no restrictions carrying it around.

Depends where I'm at, but generally I'm not that worried about criminals, mostly because if you follow some guidelines as discussed above, your unlikely to be hit.

If your a regular person not connected to some local VIP's, or have a team of attorneys on retainer. You get jammed in between the criminal underclass from one end and the government trying to jam you up from the other. Of the two I'm more worried about the latter, look at Cuba Dave as an example.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:01 pm 

Thanks for the info