www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quick Q - Jaco v Limon
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:02 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Hi all

I'm still RTFF, but I'm trying to plan some tentative accommodation for May and would appreciate some advice.

I'm spending my first 4 of 7 days in San Jose at Sportsmens. I reckon that's the ideal place for a newbie to CR. But I want to venture elsewhere also. I was thinking Jaco for a few days. But I was curious if there is any kind of scene in Limon? I understand that there tend to be more darker skinned ladies there, but please correct me if I'm wrong. That appeals to me so if there is any kind of scene there, even just a few bars, then I'd consider a couple of days there.

If it's a total bad idea, let me know! I'd be keen to hear the thoughts of the much more knowledgeable friends here. I'm learning myself, but as I've only got 6 weeks until I travel, it would be really helpful to know whether Limon would be worth a trip.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:21 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Limon is also a Province but I believe your asking about Puerto Limon, Only been told about it's not safe for tourists lots of crime and gangs ...

a place in Jaco and Night visits to the Cocal is a great spot for a 1st timer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:36 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Even if you want Caribe heritage there are a some woman from the Dominican Republic in the Cocal & they live in Jaco. Not alot but they are there.
I always have a few of my fav bachata tunes on my phone I share when talking with them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:41 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I appreciate the response guys, thanks! I'll stick with Jaco if there are likely to be options there for what I'm hoping for.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:26 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

It all depends what you are looking for. If it's mongering then not even a close comparison, Jaco is the place to be. But if you want something off the beaten path then maybe try Puerto Viejo on the carribean side (I wouldn't reccoment Limon). Lots of European backpackers if you're into that as well as laid back locals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:54 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Limon can be reached easily with direct flight on Sansa from SJO, but if you travel there should be for specific location and purpose. Limon is central to drug traffic routes in CR and lots of crime is present in this area, especially after dark, but can easily happen during the day.

Puerto Viejo area is nice, many affordable places to stay and crazy bars and restaurants, also direct flights from SJO on Sansa that are fairly cheap. Some of the best food I ever had in CR located in this area.

As was already mentioned, Jaco still the best location for dark skinned talent, they are plentiful at Cocal. Sportsmens Lodge is a great location to start from, you'll meet lots of other Mongers while there and can get more up to date info onsite at the bar.

Safe travels!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:35 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

If your primary purpose is hooking up then Jaco is the place to go outside of San Jose. Be advised you are going to spend quite a bit more for hotel, food, drinks and company in Jaco than you did in San Jose.

If you want to be in the center of the action, the Cocal is the place to stay, especially if you are a newbie but it is very pricey and depending on your room, sleep can be difficult due to loud bar noise. I did stay in a nice place in Jaco, Hotel Jaco (used to be Canciones del Mar) that is totally guest friendly and about 5 to 10 minutes walk from the Cocal. Right on the beach, suite type rooms with a kitchen, great pool, onsite bar / restaurant (pretty pricey) and the hotel is about half the price of the Cocal.

If you are looking to just kick back for a few days and don't care about having hookers everywhere then I would recommend either Puerto Viejo as mentioned above, just south of Limon or Tamarindo on the Northwest Pacific coast. Both had a good party atmosphere pre-Covid (don't know about now) and if you are young and have some game, there are plenty of gringa turistas there on holiday partying.

Both can be reached by Sansa airline (I think you fly into Limon to get to PV). If you are going to use ground transport, I would opt for PV as it is about half the travel time. Flying, Tamarindo would probably be quicker as you fly directly into Tamarindo.

Each city has a completely different vib. Tamarindo is a resort town that also attracts a lot of surfers and backpackers. You get a mix of the upscale folks from the resorts and the younger economy traveler. Pre-Covid they used to have a rolling party every night that rotated across the bars on the main drag by the beach. A very fun place.

PV as a previous poster stated has a definite Caribbean vibe. Lots of good drinking bars, lots of reggae, definitely not as upscale as Tamarindo but just as fun. You can get some incredible and cheap seafood from the little restaurant shacks along the beach.

Where you go really depends on what you are looking for. If you want point and shoot company, then you definitely want Jaco. If you have the budget to fly internally in CR then I would opt for Tamarindo. If you are looking for darker skinned ladies then PV could be your spot. You aren't going to see many obvious hookers there but the women are definitely available.

Enjoy your trip.