www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:59 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I had pops pick me up on my first trip here so I have no idea how much it would cost.

Cab/Uber cost from the airport to SL, what does it usually run?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:34 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Cab $20 - they will also help with Bags if you have several to haul .. make sure to pay as you exit airprot and they will give you a receipt

UBER approx $10-14 ...but most of the time they will only meet you upstairs at departures at 3rd crosswalk to avoid run in with Cabbies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:11 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I would NEVER use a cab at the airport. SL will make arrangements for you if you want the hassle-free option. Uber will be the cheapest - sometimes. Once I had a guy take me a long way and Uber refunded the fare, another Uber driver was from Venezuela and didn’t know how to get there. Some people take the bus, but I don’t like that option with suitcases and the “I got something to steal” look.

I once had an airport cab driver follow me across the street, upstairs where there used to be an ATM. I didn’t want to use the ATM with him behind me hassling me with “where you go”. I had to threaten violence to get him to leave.

No, never use taxis at the airport.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:58 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I always use the orange airport taxis. No fuss, and conveniently waiting for you right as you're walking out of baggage claim.

Then again, I speak fluent Spanish and I'm totally familiar with the route to/from the city.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:15 am 

Miamiheller wrote:
I always use the orange airport taxis. No fuss, and conveniently waiting for you right as you're walking out of baggage claim.

Then again, I speak fluent Spanish and I'm totally familiar with the route to/from the city.

When Copa had a meltdown and sent everyone home, they gave me a voucher for the Orange Taxi. They told me I had to use it on the upper level (departures). I assume they must have contacted them to let them know tons of Copa passengers would need one. The service was acceptable. Probably since Copa was paying.

Those hawkers when you leave baggage claim may or may not be taxis. For example in my first travels I went to use one and the man offered to carry my suitcase. The guy walked me out of the airport to a real taxi and then wanted a propina. I, speak Spanish as well, and told him that I wasn’t giving him a propina, he said he WAS the taxi. I didn’t need a guide to walk me out of the airport to a waiting taxi. The taxi driver said I had to give him one. I jerked my suitcase out of his hands and walked back to the airport. They tried to come down in price then threaten me. I told them sure, we could fight if they want.

Again, another story of violence by those baggage claim hawkers. I have never had to threaten violence in the 25 countries’ airports I have visited.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:32 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Miamiheller wrote:

For almost 20 years, I've always had a good experience with the orange airport taxis. I think that they are the only drivers who are allowed to stand inside the terminal building (arrivals area, just past customs). At any rate, as long as they're wearing the shirt with the official logo on it and driving the orange taxi with the logo on it, you should be good to go. Over the years, they have switched back and forth between paying at the booth at the airport or paying the driver directly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:26 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Ditto with using the orange taxis. Get assigned a driver at the exit, hand him my bag, provide the destination, and away we go. Amistad is only a couple hundred feet away from SL, so $20 to either. No fuss, no muss.

Only issue I've ever had is the same one I have with all taxis in CR, mainly no working seatbelts. As a first responder, I've had plenty of experience with the results of unsecured bodies inside vehicles during wrecks, so transportation in CR tends to be a bit a a white knuckle affair for me. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:33 am 

SleepyJay wrote:
Ditto with using the orange taxis. Get assigned a driver at the exit, hand him my bag, provide the destination, and away we go. Amistad is only a couple hundred feet away from SL, so $20 to either. No fuss, no muss.

Only issue I've ever had is the same one I have with all taxis in CR, mainly no working seatbelts. As a first responder, I've had plenty of experience with the results of unsecured bodies inside vehicles during wrecks, so transportation in CR tends to be a bit a a white knuckle affair for me. :shock:

Strange, I've can't recall ever being in a taxi in CR where the seatbelt didn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:33 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I take the official orange taxis from the airport most of the time. After all the time spent at the airports and flight times it is worth the extra cost to get to my hotel. The cost to SL, HDR or Taormina is not $20, it is closer to $30. Depending on the traffic it will run between 15,000 and 19,000 colones. 18,000 colones is $27.69 so give I them $30. If you get a driver with a van the rate is higher so it could press $35.

The bus is cheap but takes a lot of time with all the stops along the way. Uber is cheap but I have run all around the airport to find a spot they were comfortable to pick me up since Uber is still illegal in CR.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:36 pm 

LocoGringo wrote:

The bus is cheap but takes a lot of time with all the stops along the way.

Anyone have any experience taking the bus from airport to Parada Alajuela station?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:18 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I don't know about that specific route, but you can probably find some info and local bus route apps at this site.

https://mytanfeet.com/about-cr/public-t ... osta-rica/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:23 pm 

LocoGringo wrote:
I don't know about that specific route, but you can probably find some info and local bus route apps at this site.

Thank you Loco!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:12 am 

LocoGringo wrote:

Good information Loco, thanks for sharing.

I was wondering if it would be prudent using the bus from the airport where you will have luggage and obviously a considerable amount of cash on you. Any thief or relative of a thief or friend of a thief would see this as a golden opportunity.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:04 am 

Rolleratnight wrote:
LocoGringo wrote:

Good information Loco, thanks for sharing.

I was wondering if it would be prudent using the bus from the airport where you will have luggage and obviously a considerable amount of cash on you. Any thief or relative of a thief or friend of a thief would see this as a golden opportunity.

Luggage may be an issue, depending on size of suitcases. I only use carry on size, plus a backpack, and have never had a problem on the bus. And safety wise the bus is fine. The area where it drops you downtown can be a bit sketchy for a block or so but then you are on the downtown ave central pedestrian street. Or take a cab from where the bus drops you to wherever you are staying. That cab ride will be very cheap compared to cab from airport.

Cab fares from the airport will probably jump a bit with the latest price increases. I would expect closer to 40 dollars, versus the old 30 dollar standard fee into the city.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:38 pm 

Anyone have any experience taking the bus from airport to Parada Alajuela station?...go to bus stop and take alajuela bus, sign on front of bus, its only a two mile journey,cab would be a couple of dollars..the bus from downtown san jose,lets off passengers at airport bus stop,and then goes on to alajuela