www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Safe to bring laptop?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:10 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I'll be taking my second trip to CR and I was wondering. Is it generally safe to bring a laptop? I have a funny feeling that it will get taken from my luggage through the airport somehow. Has anyone had that problem before?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:42 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

No issue you can bring it in ..bring it in carry on

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:16 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Anything of value should be in your carry-on, not in checked luggage. That's true of anywhere, not just CR. Your laptop is in more danger in your room if you don't lock it up than it is during travel. Be aware that the safes in the Castillo are not that big and a full-sized laptop won't fit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:05 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
This won't keep someone from stealing your suitcase however would make them think twice and look peculiar taking it from your room. I usually lock my laptop in my suitcase or roller case when I am outside my room. And if you stay in LA, Castillo, SMs etc. the staff are of a higher caliber I believe so slim chance they would steal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:32 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

+1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:39 am 

Have been taking a laptop with me on trips since 2009. Always in carry on. Never a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:23 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I have a full sized laptop so I'm slightly anxious. So I should put it in my suitcase in my room when I walk around the city? Is there a chance that someone can come into my room when I'm not there?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:39 am 

JadePhantom wrote:
I have a full sized laptop so I'm slightly anxious. So I should put it in my suitcase in my room when I walk around the city? Is there a chance that someone can come into my room when I'm not there?

Yes, there is a chance. Same as in Paris and in Rome And in places far from home. From the mountains to the sea. To wherever the road may lead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:47 pm 

JadePhantom wrote:

The maids will.

If your laptop is too large to fit inside the safe, get a laptop lock. They're less than 10 bucks at Staples. Yes, they can be cut but the idea is to have it very visible as a deterrent.

Or don't bring it with you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:17 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I carry a couple of pad locks and lock my laptop in my bag. Never had a problem. I do the same with my cash as safes are easily opened by hotel staff. Nothing is fool proof. Watch some YouTube videos by the Lock Picking Lawyer the see just how easy it is to open locks, doors and safes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:43 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

JadePhantom wrote:
I'll be taking my second trip to CR and I was wondering. Is it generally safe to bring a laptop? I have a funny feeling that it will get taken from my luggage through the airport somehow. Has anyone had that problem before?

What kind of laptop are you bringing? You can get a laptop for a few hundred bucks and use it for travel. If you use OneDrive it will synch the desktop and TPM/Bitlocker will encrypt the drive if you get Pro. Don’t bring your best computer, bring one that will do just the things you need to do. If it gets stolen, so what. You’re not out much. Thrift stores now have a computer section with an tech that can help you.

I don’t bring my high-end equipment when I travel and the just-what-you-need to do computer will save you from worrying.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:54 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I lock my laptop in my suitcase to keep it away from the chicas. A chica strolling out of the Castillo/SL is going to get stopped and questioned. I don't worry about the maids. I've traveled the world for the last 30 years, sometimes spending as many as 250 nights a year in hotels, and I've never had an issue with theft from maids.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:18 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Rolleratnight wrote:
JadePhantom wrote:

What kind of laptop are you bringing? You can get a laptop for a few hundred bucks and use it for travel. If you use OneDrive it will synch the desktop and TPM/Bitlocker will encrypt the drive if you get Pro. Don’t bring your best computer, bring one that will do just the things you need to do. If it gets stolen, so what. You’re not out much. Thrift stores now have a computer section with an tech that can help you.

I don’t bring my high-end equipment when I travel and the just-what-you-need to do computer will save you from worrying.

This is a potentially good idea to get a cheapie laptop for just travelling. I wish I'd be able to do my software development work on a chromebook, though. There are limitations on the kind of stuff you can do locally. It's just meant for web work.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:09 pm 

sb_boise wrote:
This is a potentially good idea to get a cheapie laptop for just travelling. I wish I'd be able to do my software development work on a chromebook, though. There are limitations on the kind of stuff you can do locally. It's just meant for web work.

Virtualize everything.
With a 64bit Dual Core Intel, 1.3 GHz, 4 GB laptop and a Ubuntu or RedHat base load you can install VMWare Workstation and then download environments for multiple Windows and Linux desktops. You can even do separate distros for "work" and "hobby". Store the packages to the cloud in the US. Then wait until you get to CR to clone, then put it back on the cloud before you leave. All you bring through customs is a pristine laptop. No apps, no client data, no hobby photos. Cost should run about $300, you could even wipe the hardware and gift it to a favorita for her or her K*D.

If you need Mac capability, you can get a used MacBook Pro and add paid VMWare or Parallels to get any iOS. I just saw an old Mac running BigSur on eBay for $350.

When I was consulting for multiple clients, I would clone an environment for each one and do development to their individual requirements. You can even use remote hosting and VSphere to develop and manage multiple server environments.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:26 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

That's a good plan. I think I'd also consider docker as a way to virtualize stuff.