www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Money Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:51 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

catbert55 wrote:
Schwab has been very good at fraud detection. My card has been skimmed a couple of times and every time Schwab detected the fraud and denied the charges. That said, I use the card in a very specific manner, is I only transfer money into the account to use for my trip. That way, the card isn't tied to my real bank account. Second, and this is crucial, lock the card and unlock it only when you're using it. Getting skimmed taught me to be diligent about keeping the card locked. That way, even if someone does get my card info, it's highly doubtful they'll be able to use it in the five minutes or so the card is active.

Hmm.. perhaps our cards are different here. I'm not sure what you mean by locking your card. Mine only works with a pin, and perhaps with tap up to a relatively small limit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:17 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Zeos wrote:
catbert55 wrote:
Schwab has been very good at fraud detection. My card has been skimmed a couple of times and every time Schwab detected the fraud and denied the charges. That said, I use the card in a very specific manner, is I only transfer money into the account to use for my trip. That way, the card isn't tied to my real bank account. Second, and this is crucial, lock the card and unlock it only when you're using it. Getting skimmed taught me to be diligent about keeping the card locked. That way, even if someone does get my card info, it's highly doubtful they'll be able to use it in the five minutes or so the card is active.

Hmm.. perhaps our cards are different here. I'm not sure what you mean by locking your card. Mine only works with a pin, and perhaps with tap up to a relatively small limit.

Open the app on your phone. Select More->Client Service->Manage Cards. You should see an option to lock or unlock your card. If your card is locked it can't be used as transactions will be blocked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:31 am 

catbert55 wrote:
Zeos wrote:
catbert55 wrote:

Open the app on your phone. Select More->Client Service->Manage Cards. You should see an option to lock or unlock your card. If your card is locked it can't be used as transactions will be blocked.

Ahh... I don't have them on my phone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:36 am 

Hank wrote:
Seraph wrote:
wulfgar wrote:
I agree about the card being the most economical. But I'm a bit paranoid about my debit card; I only have one, so I try to limit it's exposure. I'd rather do the math - keeps my brain fresh!

You should be. NEVER use your debit card for anything other than ATM withdrawals. Your debit card has DIRECT access to your bank account. Use only a credit card for transactions, other than ATM withdrawals. Don't be fooled by the VISA or MC logo on your ATM/debit card. You DO NOT have the same kind of protection that a credit card has.

Used my debit card at a pharmacy in Cancun and they cloned it and withdrew $1,000.00 from my bank account The card never left my hands and I have a $1,000 limit So they got all they could get

Any idea how they got your pin number. Sometimes its a camera near where you enter the info on the keyboard, other times its a rigged terminal or software on the terminal that intercepts your keystrokes before they are encrypted...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:06 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Zeos wrote:
Any idea how they got your pin number. Sometimes its a camera near where you enter the info on the keyboard, other times its a rigged terminal or software on the terminal that intercepts your keystrokes before they are encrypted...

It sounds like the thief just did a "run debit as credit" transaction, which bypasses the need for a PIN.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:44 pm 

Seraph wrote:
Zeos wrote:

It sounds like the thief just did a "run debit as credit" transaction, which bypasses the need for a PIN.

don't have that option on my cards

Edited... just checked the detail of my card, yes for international on line transactions it appears I may have that option. I've never used it, and never use it domestically as my card is on the interac network normally.