www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:47 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Ulysses wrote:
saltyron wrote:
Tmobile includes international 2G with their "Magenta" plan, and 3G with their "Magenta Plus". There are no extra fees for data and text. Calls are .25/min, but if you're on wifi, your T Mobile calls will route over wifi and not be billed. You can buy additional Daily, Two Week, Or Monthly 4G LTE passes that are very reasonable. The 10 day pass is $35 and includes 5GB of data, so $7/GB, and I can hotspot if I need to. Mexico and Canada I get unlimited 4GLTE/5G. I also get free in flight wifi and texting when I fly Alaska, which is my airline of choice. Free Netflix as well.

Verizon and AT&T on the other hand.....

2G is useless. It was replaced in 2001 and performance is quite slow.

The T-Mobile Magenta plus plan costs $70/month, and you only get 3G. You still have to pay extra for to get the modern 4G LTE in Costa Rica.

Google Fi costs $30/month and it just works great everywhere in the world, including the US and Costa Rica with 4G LTE. You can always hotspot Google Fi at no extra cost.

At $30/month with Internet worldwide, I can pay for the extra $10/1 GB when I need it (Never).

T-Mobile is just bundling a bunch of crap you don't need, and charging extra for International travel.

For two lines, you can replace that $135/month bill with a $35/month bill. And, you won't have to pay extra for blazing fast Internet access in Costa Rica.

https://fi.google.com/about/plans/

Unless you are using ALOT of data, that would be much cheaper.

Flexible for 2
Pay for exactly what you use
$18each + $10/GB for data
That's $35/mo for 2 people + data used

What could you do in Costa Rica with an extra $1200/year?

Don't assume to what other people need and don't need.

Google Fi doesn't support iPhones properly, you're stuck with the primary network and there are a few other small issues. Google Fi also doesn't give me wifi and texting on Alaska, even now I have a personal reason that requires me to fly every 4-6 weeks. The Hotspot I have included is also helpful. Pre Covid I averaged around 35GB/month in data use, post covid I still average around 9GB. That's just my phone. I've seen combined data usage in the area of 85-90G in a month.

So for me, that means looking at our data usage, and how we use the phones, we would need the google Fi unlimited plan, which is $60 + taxes. Taxes in my state are HIGH for cell phones, almost 19%, but I'll round down to 18% for giggles. 60+10=70/month. My $135 with Tmobile ncludes the taxes. Let's expand out 12 months. GoogleFi would be 70*12=$840/yr. To be accurate with the Tmobile bill, we should remove at least the 2 things that I use that are included in my plan, the in flight wifi and texting, and Netflix. These are things I would pay for without TMobile. To make it easier I'll use the monthly gogo internet plan of $50/month. I fly at least 8 times a year, so I think that's fair. Netflix is $17.99/month. (12*135)-(12*50)-(12*17.99)=804.12/yr. What can I do in Costa Rica with an extra $36.00 a year?

Edit to add, I get 3G internationally included, which is slow, but usable. I guess I could use that $36.00 for a high speed pass.

Also - GoogleFi Support is phucking garbage. They make Verizon and ATT look good.

Last edited by saltyron on Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:06 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

You sure giggle a lot. Must be all that Netflix.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:16 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I have never had a problem with Google Fi support but I do use one of their phones. I still have the Fi version of the LG V35. Pretty good phone and probably one of the best for listening to music (with headphones or external speaker) as it still has a wired headphone jack, supports hi definition audio files and has a built in quad DAC and amplifier.

I have traveled to many countries and the only issue I ever had was that Thailand wasn't supporting wifi calling a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:30 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Harddrive43228 wrote:
I have never had a problem with Google Fi support but I do use one of their phones. I still have the Fi version of the LG V35. Pretty good phone and probably one of the best for listening to music (with headphones or external speaker) as it still has a wired headphone jack, supports hi definition audio files and has a built in quad DAC and amplifier.

I have traveled to many countries and the only issue I ever had was that Thailand wasn't supporting wifi calling a couple of years ago.

By support do you mean device and service support, or contacting them and getting help with something? There's been more than a few stories about one issue after another trying to get them to help out with problems.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:39 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

This post is about Skokka website.

Crazy how you guys hijacked this post to talk about different cell phone providers!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:21 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I was also thinking of using skokka. I will only be staying in San Jose for the first night then I will be in la fortuna for a couple of days and then heading over to jaco. I am going with a group and we have Airbnb's for each spot and I was hoping to find girls in each location but didn't want to bring them back to the house. Are there MP's in la fortuna? How can I tell if a girl is close to la fortuna or jaco on skokka? I know they are split up into providences but I can't seem to narrow it down for there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be there the 19th -27th.