www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best WIFI and hotels?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:49 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I am planning a trip but I will have to work while I am there. Are there any specific hotels with the best wifi? plus easy access to ladies... I was looking at sportsman but it looks a little outdated.
Any recommendations?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:43 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

“a little outdated” is a description of almost every hotel in CR. With easy access to girls on your list, SL is your best choice. Others such as Taormina have been reported to sometimes have a few around, but currently, SL is the most reliable choice.

Wifi at SL is reliable. I haven’t had any issues in the last few years. I have written many long white papers for my own consulting which included extensive internet searching for data with no problems at SL.

One recommendation is the smaller rooms do not have anywhere to sit except the bed. If you upgrade to the modern wing or the mansion wing, they are bigger rooms with a table and chair. If I’m just catching up on email and routine stuff during the day, I often bring my laptop to the bar and work at a table there. Never know when something you can’t pass up will walk in.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:10 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

If you are really serious about getting work done there is a co-working space about a block from SL. https://www.selina.com/costa-rica/san-jose/ It is also a hostel / yoga …. You can figure the vibe. But it’s an option. Telling the backpacker chicks you are staying at SL would not be recommended. I would have a cover story ready.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:38 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

bulldog10 wrote:
If you are really serious about getting work done there is a co-working space about a block from SL. https://www.selina.com/costa-rica/san-jose/ It is also a hostel / yoga …. You can figure the vibe. But it’s an option. Telling the backpacker chicks you are staying at SL would not be recommended. I would have a cover story ready.

At most of the Selina locations you can also rent a "co-working hot desk" to work on a daily or weekly basis. They sometimes restrict availability based on their occupancy, but you can book in advance. In the three years I gave lived here, I have only used them twice, but both times the experience was great. It used to only be $8 per day, but I noticed on the web site it has risen to $14/day or $70/week. For that, you get desk space, high speed internet, kitchen access, free coffee and tea, plus typical office equipment.

While I have always found the WiFi at SL to be good, there are times when you don't want your Zoom call accented by bachata and a hooker asking "what yo name baby". Selina provides a good solution. I also find it easier to focus on work when I'm not in a bar. However, for a quick call, the sitting area in the SL clubhouse (near the gym) generally provides a quiet place with decent bandwidth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:03 pm 

Do not forget Hotel Castillo or Hotel La Amistad just around the corner from the SL. Either one will do you right. 8) :arrow: (and they're CRT sponsors.....)

Go to either web site https://hotelcastillocostarica.com/ or https://hotelamistad.com/

Poke around the forums and you'll find the many satisfied members.

"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand."
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Ch. 16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:19 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I've had issues with the WiFi at the Castillo. Bar area is OK but the signal strength in the rooms wasn't great and I had problems with VoIP. WiFi at the SL is good, both in the mansion wing rooms and the bar.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:10 pm 

If one is traveling, on "business", and reliant upon wifi, surely one knows to have handy a cheap, simple, but effective USB based antenna for the laptop. :D

"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand."
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Ch. 16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:21 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Steven1 wrote:
Do not forget Hotel Castillo

The Wifi at Castillo is not reliable. I had a project I was working on one time and it was so bad for me I ended up renting a cheap room at the Sportsman for a day so I Can get the work done. It works, but is up and down. It could have been the room I was at as I was not in the main area. I didn't have as many issues if I just sat the the Castillo bar and worked on stuff. (I did Sportsman because I needed to be on the phone while online, not something to do in the bar area)