www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:03 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

That was one of three of the owners named Boyd. Have no idea who the owners are now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:16 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I have been living in Colombia for quite a while now. I live in Cartagena and have also spent some time in Medellin.

It's different from the scene in Costa Rica. Most guys here are loners and there isn't much of a network, nor any real push to start one. If someone does become a tout, they are usually quickly "noticed"... in a bad way.

It's pretty tough to hook up with a Pops-like guy in advance. Your best bet is to go straight to the major monger haunts and start talking to guys. You'll probably run into such a guy without too much effort within a couple of days. I easily found a guy in Medellin on my first trip, but... surprise, surprise... if I ever "send" anyone to him, he'll shun me forever. That's the Colombia way, as far as I know. Here in Cartagena, it's every man for himself, but there's plenty of action and plenty of guys who are willing to meet face-to-face and show you around. Let the buyer beware, because some of them are scammers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:02 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Seraph wrote:
I have been living in Colombia for quite a while now. I live in Cartagena and have also spent some time in Medellin.

How is the "landscape" in Cartagena, by the way...? Assuming fluency in Spanish, and knowing that it's not perhaps ground zero, is a mongering vacation doable there? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:30 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Seraph wrote:

It's different from the scene in Costa Rica. Most guys here are loners and there isn't much of a network, nor any real push to start one. If someone does become a tout, they are usually quickly "noticed"... in a bad way.

It's pretty tough to hook up with a Pops-like guy in advance. Your best bet is to go straight to the major monger haunts and start talking to guys. You'll probably run into such a guy without too much effort within a couple of days. I easily found a guy in Medellin on my first trip, but... surprise, surprise... if I ever "send" anyone to him, he'll shun me forever. That's the Colombia way, as far as I know. Here in Cartagena, it's every man for himself, but there's plenty of action and plenty of guys who are willing to meet face-to-face and show you around. Let the buyer beware, because some of them are scammers.

Did you run into any obstacles getting a resident visa, .. or otherwise permanent visa that lets you live there permanently?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:52 pm 

Last edited by Boynton on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Boynton wrote:

Thanks, I will check those out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:59 pm 

self232 wrote:
Seraph wrote:

How is the "landscape" in Cartagena, by the way...? Assuming fluency in Spanish, and knowing that it's not perhaps ground zero, is a mongering vacation doable there? Thanks!

Cartagena is not a monger's paradise, but it is doable. I like it here primarily because it's a relatively big city on the coast, something that Costa Rica lacks. It's got a strong tourist vibe, and there are a lot of tourists here almost every weekend, which gives it a nice festive atmosphere, if you like that. Many of the tourists are domestic (Colombians) who are looking to have a good time, so yeah... you don't have to look too hard. You run into more girls here that are not full-time working girls, versus places like HDR, SL, etc. where most of the girls are full-time.

Spanish is strongly advised here. You could get by with English only, but it's not as easy as San Jose.

Overall I would say not really a monger destination, but if you want a beach vacation in a nice city with plenty to do, in addition to probably running into a few girls, then it's a good place to spend a few days. I've met quite a few guys who combine a trip to Cartagena with a few days in Medellin, as you're practically guaranteed some action in Medellin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:05 pm 

sb_boise wrote:
Did you run into any obstacles getting a resident visa, .. or otherwise permanent visa that lets you live there permanently?

A pretty easy process, actually. No real obstacles. More people from the USA do it every year, so it seems that the Colombian government is getting more familiar and more efficient with the process. I can't offer any real specific advice... I don't like dealing with bureaucracy and paperwork (no patience for it), so I had a lawyer do all of my stuff. I wasn't involved in the process other than providing him with whatever papers he asked me for. If you have a stead fixed (retirement) income of at least $1000 per month... well, it went really smoothly for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:52 pm 

Quote:

I've lived in Colombia going on 9 years, and I've made the same observations. In my pueblo, there are a handful of ex-pats. The locals treat us alright, but when one guy decided to start taking fotos of young, fresh pueblo girls, one of the dads got pissed and started to take action. The local Comandante de Policia got involved just in time, and stopped the vigilante justice. The gringo was told never ever take out his camera in our pueblo or he would stick the camera up his butt and keep it there while he rotted in jail.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:23 pm 

sb_boise wrote:
Seraph wrote:

I received my permanent residence under the old system where there were 10 different temporary residence visas and 1 Permanent Resident visa. (That all changed about 2 years ago and the visas have new designations). I had to hold a Temporary visa for 3 continuous years, before applying for my Permanent Residency. My first temporary visa was done in the NYC Colombian Consulate office, and it was very straightforward. The only inconvenience was that I had to return in 3 days to pick up my passport with the visa. I obtained subsequent visas at the MRE Center in Bogota... the process is unusually fast and efficient. No appointments necessary... enter... take a number... wait your turn... pay the fee... get interviewed and photo...wait 10 minutes and the consular officer hands you your passport with the temporary or permanent visa. I arrived at El Dorado Airport at 8 am... and could have been on my way back to MDE airport after lunch. The only downside is the trip to Bogota :x . But while you're there, enjoy a good meal at one of the many fine restaurants. 8) For around 300 mil, you may return the services of a passport/visa agency... and it will set you back about 300 mil. The advantage of this is that it will save you the cost (and hassle) of a trip to Bogota. I've used an agency, Gesticol, several times, and have been VERY happy with their service and prices. They are located just off La Ochenta on Calle 19 across the street from Medellin immigration. BTW, Permanent Resident visas are no longer "permanent." They need to be renewed once every 5 years, and then renew your cedula as well. My guess for the change is enhanced revenue for the government of Colombia. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:31 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Seraph wrote:
self232 wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Cartagena is not a monger's paradise, but it is doable. I like it here primarily because it's a relatively big city on the coast, something that Costa Rica lacks. It's got a strong tourist vibe, and there are a lot of tourists here almost every weekend, which gives it a nice festive atmosphere, if you like that. Many of the tourists are domestic (Colombians) who are looking to have a good time, so yeah... you don't have to look too hard. You run into more girls here that are not full-time working girls, versus places like HDR, SL, etc. where most of the girls are full-time.

Spanish is strongly advised here. You could get by with English only, but it's not as easy as San Jose.

Overall I would say not really a monger destination, but if you want a beach vacation in a nice city with plenty to do, in addition to probably running into a few girls, then it's a good place to spend a few days. I've met quite a few guys who combine a trip to Cartagena with a few days in Medellin, as you're practically guaranteed some action in Medellin.

Thanks! I was there once for a day, in and out, unfortunately. You are reading me 100% on the vibe, would like to go back to spend some quality time. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:01 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Thanks guys for the expanded run-through on Visa's

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:36 am 

Just a little heads up re: Visas. I have heard that there have been proposals to modify certain requirements for the retirement visa, including the submission of criminal background check documents and substantially raising the minimum monthy income amount.