www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie - need your help!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:56 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Became a member of CRT just 3 weeks back. A few hours reading into the posts, made a decision to become a VIP member. I had a few privacy concerns at first but it was quite smooth to pay for the membership. I think the $139 was well worth it just for one section only - Newbie.

This is my personal opinion on the forum:
Undoubtedly, it has a wealth of information for a newbie like me. I even have a name for the infamous post - Orange Ticlopedia.
Overall, I was amazed by the details (I can imagine the effort) people put into the posts to educate others. So my sincere thanks to them.
The site could do a much better job in terms of navigation, and user roles. To me, it’s quite confusing and not indexed properly for search. I still can't figure out which security roles are associated with what section.
Some of the valuable posts need updates with the latest information. I think Admins (or whoever receives the revenue) should maintain them for accuracy.

This is what I have done prior to posting:
Read 2-3 times the Newbie 101 from Orange and others.
Went through as much posts as I could to get an idea.
Booked my flight and hotels.
Trying to memorize as many Spanish words as I can.

I made the following plans after reading the posts and considering other factors. I will really appreciate if some of my experienced friends could chime in to let me know their thoughts. Some of things I can still change and/or add new ones with your recommendation.
I will be staying 2 days in SJ (LA), 2 days in Jaco (Cocal), back for 1 day in LA. Travel dates: Dec 16-21.
I wanted to stay in SL at first, but they didn't have the rooms available on the days I wanted. From the forum, it looks like LA is great place to stay too.
I will buy a local SIM card there and use it while I am there, not giving my US phone number for sure.
I decided to convert my first batch of $$ at the hotel or at the airport only. Once I get comfortable (may be the next day), I will try better options.
My goal is to hang out at SL and visit a couple of MPs and avoid DR unless absolutely needed. In Jaco - stay at Cocal only.
I plan to get at least one real message and a couple of other ones.

A little background: I am 40, born in South East Asia, living in US for the past 20+ years. This will be my very first trip to Costa Rica (I don't count airline stop overs as visits) and going solo. I have been to places in DR on GFE vacations. Mostly, I had a great time there because I treat the ladies with respect and they do the same in return. My Spanish is limited to a few commonly used words only. Although I am not on a very tight budget, I don't like to spend money just for the heck of it. I would give a generous tip for a great service, rather than negotiate a high price at first. I am not into turisty things other than may be a couple of hours cab ride to see the city, if at all.

Let me get to the point now. What I need from you:
Any guidance you can give me on my plans - what to do and not to do. No Advise is a bad one – and I will be thankful to you for that. Please respond here or PM me.
Any recommendations of ticas will be much appreciated. I don't want to take too much risks in terms selecting ticas but to rely on the recommendations from experienced friends.
Massage recommendations will be much appreciated. I read quite a lot of names, but not sure if they are current.
Should I take the LA offered Airport pick up or use Lucky Dog? I also need a round trip cab ride to Jaco. So I will prefer the same person for my entire trip.
I made up my mind to see Luna (based on the feedback) if she available and willing.
Where should I buy a prepaid SIM card?
I know every country is different when it comes to tips. What is a decent tip for the bartenders (per drink or at the end of the night)? What is a decent tip for the support staff (cleaning lady, service staff etc). Without going over-board, I like to keep the support staff happy for a great service. Of course, that comes out of Tica's tip bucket!
I didn't find anyone visiting during the same time as mine in the Roll Call section. Is there a chance to meet some of the CRT member's during my stay from Dec 16-18 and then on 20th? It will be my nice to meet great contributors on this forum - Bangbang, Orange and others.

To conclude, thank you for reading my essay. Will eagerly wait for responses.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:01 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I leave on my first trip to CR tomorrow, so I can't offer any meaningful advice.

However, it looks like you've done your homework, and your plans seem solid. Welcome to CRT and have a great time!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:42 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

blahblah wrote:
[i]Any guidance you can give me on my plans - what to do and not to do. No Advise is a bad one – and I will be thankful to you for that. Please respond here or PM me.
Welcome! Sounds like you've done your homework.
Quote:
Any recommendations of ticas will be much appreciated. I don't want to take too much risks in terms selecting ticas but to rely on the recommendations from experienced friends.
Before Scuba1 chimes in, remember "tica" means "costa rican woman", as opposed to a synonym for "working girl". :)
Quote:
Massage recommendations will be much appreciated. I read quite a lot of names, but not sure if they are current.
PM BangBang57 or EsposoDeBarbie - they live there and know the latest and greatest places and are happy to share info.
Quote:
Should I take the LA offered Airport pick up or use Lucky Dog? I also need a round trip cab ride to Jaco. So I will prefer the same person for my entire trip.
Either option is good. If you're at Amistad the airport ride is on them if you stay 4 nights, and they have a daily bus to Jaco you can hop on. Lucky Dog and PuraVidaTransport provide excellent transportation service AND they share their knowledge of the scene.
Quote:
As you exit Customs and once you pick up your bags from baggage claim, there is a Claro kiosk right there (towards the right side, near the bathrooms) where you can purchase a Kolbi prepaid SIM card.
Quote:
I know every country is different when it comes to tips. What is a decent tip for the bartenders (per drink or at the end of the night)? What is a decent tip for the support staff (cleaning lady, service staff etc). Without going over-board, I like to keep the support staff happy for a great service. Of course, that comes out of Tica's tip bucket!
Many members say "Don't TIP! Tipping is a gringo custom and not expected in CR". Do as you feel right. I usually leave a daily tip for the maid, and I always leave the bartenders and waitresses a little extra (not 15% though). Bear in mind most places will add a service charge to your bill. If you are drinking at the HDR ***NEVER*** run a tab. Pay as you go.
Quote:
I made up my mind to see Luna (based on the feedback) if she available and willing.
Don't overplan. Everyone does it before they go the first time, and as soon as you arrive every plan falls out the window. Just roll with the situation and you'll have a great time.

mh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:30 am 

blahblah wrote:
My goal is to hang out at SL and visit a couple of MPs and avoid DR unless absolutely needed.

Why do you want to avoid the Del Rey :?: :roll: If you've never been there, you have to go at least two or three times just to see what it's like. You might even like it :) Just read some more of the posts for newbies regarding negotiating, avoiding the 'sharks' etc., and absorb as much information and advice as you can.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:13 pm 

blahblah wrote:
... and avoid DR unless absolutely needed.

don't do that. The HDR is far more fun in terms of hunting chicas than the SL. The SL is, however, a much better base of operations, and it is better for food and comraderie.

blahblah wrote:
Massage recommendations will be much appreciated. I read quite a lot of names, but not sure if they are current. Use the Map. It is up to date.
I made up my mind to see Luna (based on the feedback) if she available and willing. contact her now and get on her schedule. Otherwise do as Heller says and don't over-plan.
I didn't find anyone visiting during the same time as mine in the Roll Call section. Is there a chance to meet some of the CRT member's during my stay from Dec 16-18 and then on 20th? this is because no one uses the Calendar anymore.

Welcome to the board. Relax, and enjoy yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:25 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

[quote]Either option is good. If you're at Amistad the airport ride is on them if you stay 4 nights, and they have a daily bus to Jaco you can hop on. Lucky Dog and PuraVidaTransport provide excellent transportation service AND they share their knowledge of the scene.
[quote]

I was under the impression that Amistad provides free transportation back to SJO if you stay 4 nights. Is it also free pick up?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:31 pm 

"I like to keep the support staff happy for a great service. Of course, that comes out of Tica's tip bucket!"

And you were doing so well!

Couple of things - you wrote a well written post; you are obviously a sharp guy, and you have given it a fair amount of thought

But:

Don't be a shnorrer (it means a really cheap guy) what the Phuck - the tip you give the maid has zero to do with what you pay the

Tica is a word that simply means Costa Rican female - don't use it to also describe prostitutes - in your post you are mis using the term

(Just when you thing, Gee, I'm a pretty smart guy, and I have a pretty good grasp on things, I've even done some research, yet something so basic comes up to bite :) )

I have found many Indian guys to be - to use a polite term based on experience from my business career - frugal (use all the East Asian terms you want - basically you are likely Indian or from Packastan - or perhaps Ceylon - just say it :roll: :roll: :roll: - don't hide what you are)

While frugal does not seem to describe you particularly, know this:

Many Costa Ricans do not expect tips and really look down on Americans for our tip oriented culuture - trying to cover a lot of ground here - you are fine in asking about it, but if you are having a few drinks, maybe you leave 2000 colonies (less than $2) when you leave - know that most Americans way over tip - its not expected.

If I know the hotel maid will be there for <most> of the time of my stay, I'll give her 5000 colonies (like $10) with the understanding I want double the amount of towels every day - if not, I hand he 1000 colonies and get extra towels for that day.

Convert money at the Airport Bank - its across from when you deplane, located in the ticket lobby - DO NOT CHANGE AT THE 2 CAMBIOS - ONLY THE BANK

Right near the bank is the place they sell exit visas - buy one - there will likely not be a line, then its done and one less thing to worry about.

Consider seriously a tour with one of our members - it will really give you the lay of the land in San Jose - contact Esposodebarbie via PM on this site and see what you can arrainge.

So much more to share - you sound like a sharp guy and you will figure most of this stuff out - don't look to set up dates; meet your own and don't take others recommendations, or Phuck a picture. Good luck! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:51 pm 

After you collect your luggage and buy a sim card, exit that side of the airport (through all the taxi people), walk across the street and go to the second floor (departure area). When you enter the departure area, turn right and walk all the way to the end. There is a small bank there where you can exchange money. You will receive an exchange rate that will be as good or better than most other places. In case your airline ticket doesn't include the departure tax, pay the tax ($29) right before you get to the bank. DO NOT exchange money in the arrival area - they are rip-off artists!

Do your own evaluation of the ladies. I agree with the others, you should go to the DR to check the ladies. There are some good ones there, and the most variety of any place in San Jose. Remember, one person's gem may be another's rejection.

You can run a tab at the SL without a problem. Be sure to show them your CRT card when you first order, and also remind them when you ask for your check. I tip at the bars according to the level of service received. I know there is a 10% service charge added at almost all bars and restaurants, but that is divided among many people, not just the bartenders/waitresses. If the service is good and the server is nice, I usually tip between 15 and 20%. I leave 500 colones (~$1) everyday for the maid.

The servers in bars and restaurants that cater primarily to gringos expect a tip.

At LA, they have free breakfast (limited items) for hotel guests. There is a window to the kitchen left of the dining area (as you enter the building) where you fill out a slip to select items for breakfast. Toast, coffee, and juice(?) are self-serve.

Zona2 has happy hour every Friday from 2pm until closing (9pm?) for domestic beers and most shelf mixed drinks. Sometimes, the bartender will not offer the 2 for 1. You need to remind her.

The exchange rate is approximately 500 colones for $1 (528/1 today). Scuba either mis-typed or wasn't thinking when he wrote that 2000 colonies is less than $2.

Only pay with colonies at the bars and restaurants. The exchange rate they give you if you pay with dollars is not very good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:54 pm 

The exchange rate is approximately 500 colones for $1 (528/1 today). Scuba either mis-typed or wasn't thinking when he wrote that 2000 colonies is less than $2.

Absolutely correct, sir :) :) :) :oops: :oops: :oops:

You are right - 2k in colonies is closer to $4 :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:10 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Firewell wrote:
I leave on my first trip to CR tomorrow, so I can't offer any meaningful advice.

However, it looks like you've done your homework, and your plans seem solid. Welcome to CRT and have a great time!

Thank you and have a great time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:18 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Miamiheller wrote:
blahblah wrote:
Any guidance you can give me on my plans - what to do and not to do. No Advise is a bad one – and I will be thankful to you for that. Please respond here or PM me.
Welcome! Sounds like you've done your homework.

[i]Thank you. I am still a bit nervous - I am going solo and this will be my first of this kind.

Quote:
Before Scuba1 chimes in, remember "tica" means "costa rican woman", as opposed to a synonym for "working girl". :)

I screwed up, my sincere apology. A little knowledge is always a dangerous thing.
PM BangBang57 or EsposoDeBarbie - they live there and know the latest and greatest places and are happy to share info.

Will do today. Thanks.
Quote:

Either option is good. If you're at Amistad the airport ride is on them if you stay 4 nights, and they have a daily bus to Jaco you can hop on. Lucky Dog and PuraVidaTransport provide excellent transportation service AND they share their knowledge of the scene.

I think I am staying for 3 nights, so don't qualify. But they quoted less than $40 which I think very reasonable. The only thing I am a little worried about no one showing up at the airport. I can always take a cab to the hotel in that case.
Quote:
As you exit Customs and once you pick up your bags from baggage claim, there is a Claro kiosk right there (towards the right side, near the bathrooms) where you can purchase a Kolbi prepaid SIM card.

Great. Thank you.
Quote:
Many members say "Don't TIP! Tipping is a gringo custom and not expected in CR". Do as you feel right. I usually leave a daily tip for the maid, and I always leave the bartenders and waitresses a little extra (not 15% though). Bear in mind most places will add a service charge to your bill. If you are drinking at the HDR ***NEVER*** run a tab. Pay as you go.

Very valuable information. Exactly what I wanted to know.
Quote:
Don't overplan. Everyone does it before they go the first time, and as soon as you arrive every plan falls out the window. Just roll with the situation and you'll have a great time.

I know what exactly what you are saying. The best vacations I had when I just showed up. But I am bit anxious about this one. May be that will go away within the first couple of hours.

Thank you again for your time.
mh[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:23 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Gringotim wrote:
blahblah wrote:
My goal is to hang out at SL and visit a couple of MPs and avoid DR unless absolutely needed.

Why do you want to avoid the Del Rey :?: :roll: If you've never been there, you have to go at least two or three times just to see what it's like. You might even like it :) Just read some more of the posts for newbies regarding negotiating, avoiding the 'sharks' etc., and absorb as much information and advice as you can.

Great Point and you got it right, I am worried about being overwhelmed and being taken for a ride by the seasoned pros. That can happen anywhere but at least at SL, I have deal with a lot less in numbers. But I think once I get there, I will be more comfortable to try things out. Thank you for the tip.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:25 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

BashfulDwarf wrote:
blahblah wrote:
... and avoid DR unless absolutely needed.

don't do that. The HDR is far more fun in terms of hunting chicas than the SL. The SL is, however, a much better base of operations, and it is better for food and comraderie.

blahblah wrote:
Massage recommendations will be much appreciated. I read quite a lot of names, but not sure if they are current. Use the Map. It is up to date.
I made up my mind to see Luna (based on the feedback) if she available and willing. contact her now and get on her schedule. Otherwise do as Heller says and don't over-plan.
I didn't find anyone visiting during the same time as mine in the Roll Call section. Is there a chance to meet some of the CRT member's during my stay from Dec 16-18 and then on 20th? this is because no one uses the Calendar anymore.

Welcome to the board. Relax, and enjoy yourself.

Thanks for the information, noted for sure.. I guess I can only relax after I get there! But these kind of advice does help.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:32 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

bigmikeinkc wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was under the impression that Amistad provides free transportation back to SJO if you stay 4 nights. Is it also free pick up?

I am staying 3 nights, so don't qualify, I guess. I will try the Jaco bus option for sure, if works with the schedule. If you don't mind, how is the bus ride in terms of comfort? I know 90 minutes is not that bad, but I hate to go on a sweaty and bumpy ride just to save a few bucks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:36 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

bigmikeinkc wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

No free pick-up, only ride to airport with min. 4 night stay.