www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Can someone specify boundaries for gringos to safely wander in the daytime?
In other words, the monger map shows a group of MPs around Avenida 8 and Calle 2. Is it safe to wander around there?
What should be the North (South,East,West) most streets for a good (meaning safe) wander-about?
I'll do my best to notate stuff on the map so someone more knowledgeable can properly update the damned thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:30 am 

Last edited by Boynton on Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:19 am 

Boynton wrote:
Safe Area
Gate 9 to Baggage Claim :lol:

The rest, daytime or nighttime, gulch or not, depends on too many factors to list. Go with a wingman, go often, learn Spanish, go often, dress low key, go often. Take a walking tour, go often.

Is it safe to offer propina for 'sin condom' at Gate 9? Or should I wait til I get to Baggage Claim?
Look, all I am asking is: "are there boundaries that should not be crossed by a gringo on foot?". Like "don't go any further than Calle 10 or the cannibals will get you!". Otherwise I intend to wander far and wide.
I've heard negative things about the 'Coca Cola' area ... but didn't really ask about it at the time.
Also, does anyone know where the gay statue of John Lennon is? I've been asked to photograph it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:43 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

wander far and wide in the daytime...don't believe the fearmongers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:35 am 

BashfulDwarf wrote:
Boynton wrote:
Safe Area
Gate 9 to Baggage Claim :lol:

The rest, daytime or nighttime, gulch or not, depends on too many factors to list. Go with a wingman, go often, learn Spanish, go often, dress low key, go often. Take a walking tour, go often.

Is it safe to offer propina for 'sin condom' at Gate 9? Or should I wait til I get to Baggage Claim?
Look, all I am asking is: "are there boundaries that should not be crossed by a gringo on foot?". Like "don't go any further than Calle 10 or the cannibals will get you!". Otherwise I intend to wander far and wide.
I've heard negative things about the 'Coca Cola' area ... but didn't really ask about it at the time.
Also, does anyone know where the gay statue of John Lennon is? I've been asked to photograph it.

Livincr wrote:
wander far and wide in the daytime...don't believe the fearmongers

To a large extent I agree with the above, but let me offer a big however:

The only time I've ever been scared in 15 years of traveling to CR was during the day, while walking in Barrio Mexico - I wanted to see the church - I walked from downtown by myself, and saw a number of really sketchy people - when some crossed the street near me, I <luckily> went into the police station (could make this story really long but I think you get the gist). Got a cab from there.

I'd also avoid the area around the Best Western not too far from downtown.

Basically much of the downtown "Gulch" area is safe - some take it to a crazy level - like take a cab a block from the DelRey to say, the Hotel Morazon. That said, I would likely not walk from the HDR to say, the Sportsmans late at night by myself, but would with another guy - so much is local knowledge and experience.

I've read your posts and you sound like a pretty sharp guy - bear in mind when guys have gotten into trouble in SJ the story almost always starts with "....it was real late at night, I was by myself, really drunk..." and goes downhill from there.

Ask - and if you are at all unsure, take a cab - they are all over and not expensive :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:40 pm 

Don't know any gay statue.perhaps you could ask around,but there is a sculpture of john lennon,by a famous cuban artist at the east end of avenida 4 pedestrian mall...gold statue......imagine all the people 8) ...in front of LA SOLEDAD CHURCH....walk every where during the day...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:52 pm 

Quote:

There really is not a boundary, some areas may "appear" safer than other but like in any big city in the United States or abroad there is always some degree of risk. I walk all over the place in the daytime and never been bothered by anything more than a stray crackhead asking for 100 colones. However I never let my guard down as that stray crackhead could easily pull out a gun or knife and ruin my day or life. I could spend the entire day walking the worst neighborhood and never get bothered while someone else may get robbed sitting outside Sportsmens. Use street smarts and you should be fine but if you end up at the wrong place at the wrong time, well that's life.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 pm 

Echoing what others have said...there really are no hard and fast boundaries. I've walked pretty much all of it...both day and night, and while I would not particularly recommend night time walks generally it is ok. The worst I heard of was friends that got held up by guys going by on a motorcycle...this was in a residential area where I had walked in the past...by myself. They were in a large group...and I guess that just meant more wallets for the bandits. So not necessarily safety in numbers...or in walking in supposedly safe areas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:25 am 
Good posts et al, but when it come to late at nite and you are half in the bag, why would you walk 6-7 blocks in the puta pass--aka as the gringo guch but with a target on your back--when cabs are $2? If you are in training for next year I get it.

Talk about newbie mistakes, that one would have to be #1. Even if nothing happens, U are still going to deal 2-3 goofballs on the way, plus the stress of your deserved paranoia. To save $2 you're going to walk 1/2 mile at night thru weird Ticoland?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 am 

Gersen wrote:
Good posts et al, but when it come to late at nite and you are half in the bag, why would you walk 6-7 blocks in the puta pass--aka as the gringo guch but with a target on your back--when cabs are $2? If you are in training for next year I get it.

Talk about newbie mistakes, that one would have to be #1. Even if nothing happens, U are still going to deal 2-3 goofballs on the way, plus the stress of your deserved paranoia. To save $2 you're going to walk 1/2 mile at night thru weird Ticoland?

None of this was about walking at night. I intend to investigate every nook and cranny of every street I can manage to make it to. But this is clearly IN THE FREAKING DAYTIME!
I would never wander in the dark in a strange city ... and at night, all cities are strange.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 am 

Thanks to all posters. If I do find those cannibals, I will have them put on the map for all to visit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:10 pm 

In addition to where to walk, realize you are never "safe."

I offer this thread I wrote about my experience viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40741

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:03 pm 

Rolleratnight wrote:
In addition to where to walk, realize you are never "safe."

I offer this thread I wrote about my experience viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40741

thanks for the link. Personally I hate listening to old military guys telling me how no one needs to carry a weapon for self defense. These guys are TRAINED. All I got is a few hours of Halo 4 and Wolfenstein under my belt!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:48 pm 

BashfulDwarf wrote:
In other words, the monger map shows a group of MPs around Avenida 8 and Calle 2. Is it safe to wander around there?
What should be the North (South,East,West) most streets for a good (meaning safe) wander-about?
I'll do my best to notate stuff on the map so someone more knowledgeable can properly update the damned thing.

The only places that you need to walk to are the main MP's (HLH, NF, and Idem). And the freelance places (SL, HDR, KL). 99% of the talent in the Tico MP's is not worth a second look. Even if you do find that "diamond in the rough", do you really want to deal with those facilities? Cold showers, dirty sheets, stained mattresses, no towel or worse- sharing towel with previous customers, typical 3rd world facility. They are a huge waste of time in my opinion.

Personally, I try to avoid walking the streets as much as possible. It's relatively safe, but you can be robbed anywhere anytime. The less that I'm in the streets, the lower the chance of that happening. Taxis are dirt cheap and everywhere. Why chance it, no matter how remote it is. I'm not gonna let $2 ruin my vacation.

Obviously, if you like walking, go ahead but stay alert and always be aware of your surroundings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:26 pm 

Orange wrote:
The only places that you need to walk to are the main MP's (HLH, NF, and Idem). And the freelance places (SL, HDR, KL). 99% of the talent in the Tico MP's is not worth a second look. Even if you do find that "diamond in the rough", do you really want to deal with those facilities? Cold showers, dirty sheets, stained mattresses, no towel or worse- sharing towel with previous customers, typical 3rd world facility. They are a huge waste of time in my opinion.
Personally, I try to avoid walking the streets as much as possible. It's relatively safe, but you can be robbed anywhere anytime. The less that I'm in the streets, the lower the chance of that happening. Taxis are dirt cheap and everywhere. Why chance it, no matter how remote it is. I'm not gonna let $2 ruin my vacation.
Obviously, if you like walking, go ahead but stay alert and always be aware of your surroundings.

I walked Moscow (obviously not the whole damned city), but at least there a tourist can get suitably armed.
I walked London (a good portion of the Zone 0 and Zone 1), and never felt the need to be armed (though East of Brick Lane gets pretty worrisome after dark).
I"m looking forward to seeing San Jose.
As my grandfather said: "You can't stay safe, you can only PLAN to stay safe".