www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Jose Scam Alert
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:53 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I had just left a very satisfying session at Monica’s Pension (see Boynton’s tip #1) and was walking though a busy part of downtown San Jose when a very North American voice called out from the crown, “What state are you from?”
And that is how the scam starts…

1. A shorter North American with a small tattoo behind his ear strikes up a conversation. Small talk is about living in CR and he casually mentions that he’s been here for 5 years and has a hydroponics business. If you show any interest in that or if you respond that you like to party he offers you some weed to sample. If you don’t express any interest in those things, he offers to get you his number so you can “grab a beer sometime” Either way, step two is the same.

2. He suggests that you go together to McDonald’s to get a pen/bag. As you’re walking he continues to talk about CR and it’s history. He uses your name a lot in the conversation

3. Gets a bag from the restaurant and writes his name on it
(I didn’t pay attention to this part, but he also puts something in the bag)

4. Hands you the bag and tells you that there’s some sample weed in it. If you say you don’t want it, he says “go ahead and spread it around at your hotel, it’s good advertisement for my business or you can just throw it away”

5. Offers to show you a historical building on the way back to where you met (post office in my case)

6. The building will be in a slightly less crowded area and once you’re separated from the crowd the scam escalates

7. The scammer flashes a badge and using your name says something like, “Tosserred, you probably don’t realize this, but I’m an undercover policeman and you’re in possession of an illegal substance.”

8. He’ll then start scare tactics of what’s about to happen:

30 days in jail minimum 

$600-$800 fine
Embassy involved and visa issues

Even if you claim entrapment, still going to jail

9. He then pivots to the escape/relief from your troubles.
 If you’re willing to make a generous donation to the Costa Rican widows and orphans fund, he can make this all go away

10. He’ll ask how much you have and if it’s less than $200 direct you to a nearby ATM (convenient, right?) to get more money off your debit card.

11. After taking your money he’ll lecture you on not being so trusting and tell you that if you were suspicious to trust your gut instincts…blah blah blah

Note: It’s possible that he works with a partner who is the ‘cop’ and that I threw off that part of the scam by having us stop before McDonald’s at another restaurant for the pen.

This happened my first day in San Jose, I’m sure I had newbie, lost and naive written all over my face and was an easy mark. I got off lucky, I only had 20mil leftover from my visit to Monica’s and hadn’t brought my wallet with me. Boy was the scammer pissed that his perfect score only netted ~$30 “Tosserred, do you think this is a game, do you think I’m playing here?” He offered to let me go back to my hotel and bring him more money and to make sure not to involve anyone at the hotel, because they’d get in a lot of trouble. Then pivoted to the “we’re both men of honor” and “I know I can trust your word” spiel. Apparently I am not a man of honor because although I promised him to get money and return, I never did!

Learnings as a newbie:
-Don’t trust someone just because they’re from your home country or speak good English
-Even though central San Jose is relatively safe, avoid walking alone

-Follow Boyton’s tip#4: If you must travel somewhere alone, take an Uber. They’re cheap and much safer than walking

Post subject: Re: San Jose Scam Alert
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:46 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

How about at step 1, "Listen dude, I don't want to talk to anybody, I don't want to walk with anybody, I don't want your number, I don't want your weed, and I don't like your face! :evil:

Now I'm going to turn around and hopefully be walking off by myself, I'm hoping like, you and me, we don't have a disagreement on this issue, and things escalate and potentially get ugly real fast, know what I mean, Vern? :?

Then turn around walking away, but be looking out of the corner of your eye at him...

Then if he continues after you, duck in a store and tell them to call the cops, or if you've sized him up good and you're confident you can make good on making things get ugly for him real fast, have at it, today turned out to be your lucky day!!! And fresh from Monica's on top of it!! It'll be the height of your vacation story... 8) 8) 8)

If any cops ask you what happened, hand out 20 mil to each of them and tell them he was trying to steal from the cop's widows and orphans fund and you want the money to go straight to them so they can deposit your donation themselves... :)

They'll thank you, you'll be on your way, a great story to tell, you had the fun of delivering a comeuppance to an obnoxious jackass, the fun was well worth the money, and some widows and orphans eat for a week thanks to you... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:05 pm 

no dar papaya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:39 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

You should probably not travel ever again if any of this is remotely true

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:21 am 

If you were a sucker for this, you must be a hick from the deep hills of West Virginia.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:58 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

This is an old ongoing scam. I knew a guy , new to CR who got scammed exactly like this yrs ago. The scammer can smell a newby somehow. He paid 200$.

Myself I fell for scam about getting residency, citizenship for money. I went with him to the Caja and other government agencies. And he seemed to have the run of the places.
Anyway I only had 80$ on me so that's all I lost. He kept calling me for days and days leaving angry messages. Guess I would been blackmailed or something if I would have followed thru with it.

Another time I was with a friend at the plaza near the Jade museum. A scruffy guy approached us offering weed for sale. I waked away and scanned the area. My friend went over and took a look at the weed. It did not look like weed. So no sale. I noticed a guy intensely watching us. Sure enough as we were leaving he called us over and showed a badge. Had a radio, called for backup. The scruffy guy came over and honestly told the guy with badge what had happened. And he let us go with a stern warning.
He never mentioned a bribe or money. So I guess it was a police setup.
Scruffy guy must have been a cop also.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:16 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Avoid talking to strangers unless she starts the conversation with "Hola, baby, what ju name?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:34 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

My go-to response for anyone approaching me that I don't know, and that hasn't demonstrated any kind of value that I'm interested in in the few moments it took for them to walk over to me is just: "Sorry, I can't help you with whatever you need help with".
And this shuts down any intent they have to make it clear to me, that they actually have something for me or can do something for me. And if they repeat their opening line to me, to try to make it clear they're really trying to help *me*, I shake my head and say: "I can't legally stop you from walking with me, but I'm not interested, and stay out of my personal space" and then I'm a phucking mime from that moment on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:08 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Three words: Fueda huy puta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:16 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

no reason to start anything that you don't need to. Remember, you are in a foreign country with corrupt cops that are getting more corrupt by the minute. If you do something or say something and end up getting into a fight, if you win, you will most likely be arrested for assault on a poor beggar, and have to pay for his hospital bills which just happen to add up to however much you can get out of the ATM at that time. If you find out he's tougher than you sized him up to be (remember, Latinos grow up fighting), well, then you just got you ass kicked, for what?

No, best just to say no thanks, and keep walking. I've never had any issues with scammers following me after that. The only ones that follow you very far are the all out beggars, and even they give up pretty quick.

In addition, didn't Costa Rica just say that they wouldn't pose any penalties against the possession of marijuana?

Speaking of beggars, does anyone remember the one that used to follow you around yelling "you promised, last time man, you promised".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:25 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

BhueyXXXVII wrote:
If you do something or say something and end up getting into a fight,

It's one of those things that's tailored individually though. If you're the size of Gilbert Gottfried (and talk like him), I'd say take it easy with your responses, but sometimes you can go too far in trying to be democratic and gentle, and that leads the guy to size you up in a way where they think you can be their next supply of whatever.

Last edited by sb_boise on Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:43 am 

BhueyXXXVII wrote:
no reason to start anything that you don't need to. Remember, you are in a foreign country with corrupt cops that are getting more corrupt by the minute. If you do something or say something and end up getting into a fight, if you win, you will most likely be arrested for assault on a poor beggar, and have to pay for his hospital bills which just happen to add up to however much you can get out of the ATM at that time. If you find out he's tougher than you sized him up to be (remember, Latinos grow up fighting), well, then you just got you ass kicked, for what?

No, best just to say no thanks, and keep walking. I've never had any issues with scammers following me after that. The only ones that follow you very far are the all out beggars, and even they give up pretty quick.

In addition, didn't Costa Rica just say that they wouldn't pose any penalties against the possession of marijuana?

Speaking of beggars, does anyone remember the one that used to follow you around yelling "you promised, last time man, you promised".

Ummm...just to be clear for those individuals that didn't catch on, my comments were facetious and for humor enjoyment and entertainment purposes only...

But if he keeps following you and getting more annoying and making threats and you see a chance to knock him clean out with a direct 400 psi 25 mph punch right in the face and run around the corner and jump in a cab...you know, follow Nike's recommendations...

Don't be afraid of dying...be afraid of never living, lol... :mrgreen:

Also, the original poster said "when a very North American voice..." and : "A shorter North American with a small tattoo behind his ear strikes up a conversation..."

That may clue some readers into thinking he just may be N American, and CR cops don't care about gringos whupping each other's arses, they seem to believe we grew up fighting... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:12 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Classic Reply Boynton: "no dar papaya......"

My take-away, fellow mongers, is that the scammers were waiting outside Monica's for newbies/gringos...

So that's a bummer if they know that is a great place to fish! What's next, outside and down the street from the Sportsmen's?

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No advice, tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:05 pm 

Californiamann wrote:
Classic Reply Boynton: "no dar papaya......"

My take-away, fellow mongers, is that the scammers were waiting outside Monica's for newbies/gringos...

So that's a bummer if they know that is a great place to fish! What's next, outside and down the street from the Sportsmen's?

Actually over the years, there have been reports of guys being robbed (at night) as close as the corner near the SL and also on the way to the HDR.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:33 pm 

Rule of thumb: if an English speaker approaches you on the street, just say NO!