www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cell service
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:45 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Does anyone know if an unlocked 5g phone is compatible with the providers in Costa Rica?

Post subject: Re: Cell service
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:22 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Your hooker friend will just have to put her SIM card in her new unlocked phone. If its truly unlocked it will work.

as for 5G not sure that’s even available anywhere in Costa Rica ?

maybe a Expat can comment on that but I’m usually paying $ for a 10 day T-mobile Data plan as I exit my flight, their basic plan is only 3G for old sprint grandfathered customers not wanting to upgrade to a premium T-Mobile plan, good luck using the Worldwide Web or trying to order an Uber with 3G :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:57 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

The only 5G is a test/demonstration install on the UCR campus. They have yet to auction off the 5G frequencies. The phone handset should work on one of the GSM, LTE, 3, or 4G bands. Both my iPhone12 and Samsung A34 work fine.

Just make sure your phone is a left handed model.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:36 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

My 5G S23 Ultra works great down there. I have an AT&T unlimited plan in the USA and that gives me unlimited talk, text and data in CR and a lot of other countries. Getting a local SIM card is no longer necessary for me. I can always drop one into my old Huawei phone but I just connect it to my S23 by wifi hotspot now for free.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:53 am 

LocoGringo wrote:
My 5G S23 Ultra works great down there. I have an AT&T unlimited plan in the USA and that gives me unlimited talk, text and data in CR and a lot of other countries. Getting a local SIM card is no longer necessary for me. I can always drop one into my old Huawei phone but I just connect it to my S23 by wifi hotspot now for free.

Looking into that S23 Ultra right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:08 am 

This article discusses the timeline to produce a technical plan For one unit of the government to give to a different unit of the government to consider offering the sale of the 5G spectrum. The hopeful target for this is December 19th.

https://www.crhoy.com/tecnologia/estos- ... tacion-5g/

Then the government can discuss the plan, challenge it in the courts, change it, provisionally adopt/change it, re-challenge it. By then it will be time to hold national elections, install a new president, and send the plan back to the technical committees to reassess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:26 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

So what your saying is in about 3 more years :lol: just maybe us Visitors might get 5G with our mobile plan or a High Speed Data upgrade.

Example- I have been paying $35 now for a 10 day 5GB Data plan and it usually gives me a good LTE coverage on the Claro carrier I believe, 5GB even when streaming Sirius and Waze while I'm traveling I never come close to using it all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:37 pm 

TF74 wrote:
So what your saying is in about 3 more years :lol: just maybe us Visitors might get 5G with our mobile plan or a High Speed Data upgrade.

Example- I have been paying $35 now for a 10 day 5GB Data plan and it usually gives me a good LTE coverage on the Claro carrier I believe, 5GB even when streaming Sirius and Waze while I'm traveling I never come close to using it all.

"You might very well think that - I couldn't possibly comment."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:42 am 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Can't you just use wi-fi in your hotels and/or work spaces and 4G for everything else?

I am delighted that when I return in a few weeks after nearly 3 year hiatus (CV19, CV19 1 day negative testing requirement, harsh job complications from taking more than a day or two off, relocations, new jobs etc.) that my steady Google Fi should fire up soon after I touch down Sept. 2nd :D.

Also are you formerly 'Jadcujo'?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:15 am 

Puro Party wrote:
Can't you just use wi-fi in your hotels and/or work spaces and 4G for everything else?

I am delighted that when I return in a few weeks after nearly 3 year hiatus (CV19, CV19 1 day negative testing requirement, harsh job complications from taking more than a day or two off, relocations, new jobs etc.) that my steady Google Fi should fire up soon after I touch down Sept. 2nd :D.

Also are you formerly 'Jadcujo'?

I had Google Fi and it worked great in San Jose. You basically get the coverage notification as soon as you turn off airplane mode.

I did switch to Spectrum last year as I couldn't pass up the two lines for $30 deal. I was hoping Google would price match but they really don't wheel and deal. The price is the price.

Spectrum coverage is OK in San Jose and pretty reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:50 pm 

I use Google Fi. It was always transparent on arrival.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:31 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Just returned from Costa. I used my unlocked Galaxy A53 5G. It worked just fine with the network LTE.
I don't want to carry my S20, so I just switch sim prior. I have the ATT unlimited plan which is awesome unlimited talk text data in all of central Amer. and most S America countries. Plus you get max with it.