www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:58 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Woozo wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:
If the government ever eases up on their new CAJA rules and I decide to pull the plug and relocate, I will rent.

HD,

What are the “new” CJAJ rules you are mentioning ?

Thanks ….

Woozo

Although the ones requiring pensionados to pay the retirement portion have been suspended/repealed, there are ALWAYS new rules. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:00 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
From what I have read NEW residents must pay into both CAJA and the retirement pension scheme. From what I understand it's a pretty sizable monthly nut. Existing residents are apparently exempt from the pension requirements.

I believe this was suspended for those who have reached retirement age.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=53655&start=15#p606415

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:46 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Harddrive43228 wrote:
From what I have read NEW residents must pay into both CAJA and the retirement pension scheme. From what I understand it's a pretty sizable monthly nut. Existing residents are apparently exempt from the pension requirements.

HD,

I thought you may be referring to that law. As has already been mentioned here, that law was dropped. New Pensionados are now only required to pay the health care portion the CAJA. I’ve had a few friends become Pensionados recently and that’s all they have to pay.

Woozo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:02 pm 

Woozo wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:

HD,

I thought you may be referring to that law. As has already been mentioned here, that law was dropped. New Pensionados are now only required to pay the health care portion the CAJA. I’ve had a few friends become Pensionados recently and that’s all they have to pay.

Woozo

Excellent News . Thanks for the update

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:13 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

What is the approximate monthly cost of the health care portion of the CAJA? Is it income-based? THX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:00 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

If your proof of income is 3,000.00, for instance your social security it will be 10% or 300.00 per month, so declare your lowest guaranteed income that is over 1,000.00 per month such as a pension or other source.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:47 am 

Asco1410 wrote:
If your proof of income is 3,000.00, for instance your social security it will be 10% or 300.00 per month, so declare your lowest guaranteed income that is over 1,000.00 per month such as a pension or other source.

To this, I will add that your document must state that your income and must be guaranteed for life. It will need to be apostilled (think of this like an international notarization). When I applied in 2018, this had to be done physically, there are now options that can be done online. You need to re-submit this document when you renew your residency (every 2 years until you switch from temporary to permanent status. If you are using Social Security the US Embassy has some pre-accepted letters (although it will show your full benefit and may result in higher monthly CAJA payments.

All of this is for pensionado residency. Other classes of residency exit with other rules.

Last edited by Boynton on Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:48 pm 

Boynton,

When you file your paperwork do you have to claim ALL of your guaranteed income or just a single source. Using my Social Security would result in a pretty large CAJA obligation but I also have an guaranteed lifetime annuity that I believe is just over the minimum you need to get residency status. I assume that if you use your social security they base it in on the gross (before Medicare Part B and Fed Tax deductions) not the net.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:14 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Boynton,

When you file your paperwork do you have to claim ALL of your guaranteed income or just a single source. Using my Social Security would result in a pretty large CAJA obligation but I also have an guaranteed lifetime annuity that I believe is just over the minimum you need to get residency status. I assume that if you use your social security they base it in on the gross (before Medicare Part B and Fed Tax deductions) not the net.

Thanks

Just the annuity. That is what I did and my CAJA runs $95 per month. Check your PM's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:15 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:
If the government ever eases up on their new CAJA rules and I decide to pull the plug and relocate, I will rent.

Consider this:
CR is now doing 6 month tourist visas, so fewer border runs. The caja sucks, so I end up paying out of pocket for routine medical care. Yesterday, I saw my cardiologist (Dr Frederico Malavassi, Clinica Biblica) and got an ECG, consult and pacemaker check. Total bill was c50mil. No insurance, no caja, made the appointment via WhatsApp, wait time for appointment was 3 days.

I also have US medicare and my former employer pays for a UHC Suplemental Plan N. Several supplemental plans (D, G, M and N that I am aware of) will cover emergency treatment when traveling outside the US. However, if you are a foreign resident they do NOT pay since you are covered under the caja and the Medicare Supplement is a payer of last resort. This, combined with the 6-month visas have me considering abandoning my CR residency.

Do your own research and consider your own unique needs and situation. For me, I do not use the caja for routine medical care.

Why the CAJA sucks:

QCOSTARICA — Two patients have filed a complaint with the Constitutional Court, also known as Sala IV, to assert their rights through appeals for protection, after having suffered a series of calamities in the emergency services at the public hospitals in Heredia (the San Vicente de Paúl) and Alajuela (the San Rafael).

In the first case, which dates back to January 13, Dionicio Alvarado Rivas, a patient with a heart problem called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, in his filed document explains how, when he sought medical help at the Heredia hospital after suffering severe pain, shortness of breath, vomiting and a very high fever, was told to remain under observation for further evaluations, was placed in a wheelchair in the emergency department and where he remained in for more than 72 hours.

Given this, the high court determined in a ruling dated February 2, to partially declare the appeal admissible, ordering the director of the hospital and the head of the emergency department to refrain from repeating the event.

On the other hand, a patient who went to the Alajuela hospital on February 8 due to intense abdominal pain and high fever, told the magistrates that since his arrival at the hospital, was told that he had to wait at least a week for an ultrasound.

For this reason, the judicial body requested a detailed report from the authorities of the medical center, with a maximum time of three business days for its submission.

Both appeals were processed by lawyer Mario Alberto Zamora Cruz, who contacted the media to make the facts known.

To date, no official statement has been made by authorities of either hospital or the CCSS press office, only to say they would not comment while the cases are being processed.

https://qcostarica.com/patients-report- ... hospitals/