www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Narco wars?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:28 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I’ve taken 40 trips to Costa Rica since 1995, so I’m not a “newbie”, but it’s been almost two years since my last trip. I check out the Tico Times daily, and I’m getting bad vibes from the reports of violence between the drug gangs. Since 2006 I’ve stayed a friend’s hotel in the Cariari/Belen area. Quiet and upscale area. My question is do any of you regulars have a handle on where the worst areas are now? In my earlier years, I stayed near Parque Morazan and never felt nervous. Long time, I know. I need some intel from the “boots on the ground.” I’m in my (early) seventies now and like to manage risk when I possible.
Gracias.

Post subject: Re: Narco wars?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:29 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

None of this is happening where we go and the gulch, none of our favorite hotels or MP's or bars or restaurants.

That being said, it's still smart to not walk around by yourself downtown at night, especially between Sportsmen's and Taormina, take a taxi, get in some pounding, your only worries are if you get a ho in your room and she says she only blows with a john wearing a condom.

Take a taxi or Uber at night, confirm she'll blow no condom and you'll have a stress free happy fun filled vacation... 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:50 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Really the walk from SL to the Tao area at night is that dangerous? Never had my guard down but I never felt threatened. Things have changed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:41 am 

pookie2 wrote:
Really the walk from SL to the Tao area at night is that dangerous? Never had my guard down but I never felt threatened. Things have changed.

I would not make the walk down the hill alone after 8pm. Best case you'll just have to dodge the myriad of trannies on the stroll. Worst case you will happen on a group that wants to separate you from your cash. Not likely to happen but it only takes once to f@#up your trip. Definitely wouldn't make the walk back after having a few drinks. And the hill is a bitch. Spend the 2k for a pirate taxi or call an Uber for 1k.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:02 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

pookie2 wrote:

I walked with a group of other mongers and we were followed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:28 am 

JadePhantom wrote:
pookie2 wrote:

I walked with a group of other mongers and we were followed.

Yes, we were followed by a whole group of them one afternoon. Their gang colors were white short sleeve shirts and dark trousers, although about half wore knee length pleated skirts (trannies?). They started following us shortly after we left the SL but just kept on walking when we turned into the Taormina. They seemed a little short, but they were Ticos and were probably carrying knives.

It was a close call, me and my posse were scared shitless.

Here they are shaking down a couple of locals.
https://i0.wp.com/qcostarica.com/wp-con ... 1024&ssl=1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:44 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

There's a local police now on the corner by Castillo. He stands there and watches. I've only seen 'trouble' near Havana bar & Poas Bar, which has started closing at 9pm.

The guy mentioning the bj w a condom is right, that's a bigger issue as it MUST be negotiated first and 2/3 the girls won't do it... ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:03 am 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
MinnesotaFats wrote:
There's a local police now on the corner by Castillo. He stands there and watches. I've only seen 'trouble' near Havana bar & Poas Bar, which has started closing at 9pm.

The guy mentioning the bj w a condom is right, that's a bigger issue as it MUST be negotiated first and 2/3 the girls won't do it... ugh.

While at Castillo last Sept. walked down the hill to the Tao after 8PM and no issues and also walked back after 10pm to Castillo no issues however some young punk in the street just before returning to Castillo says outta nowhere 'Give me $'. I say 'F U' and he says something else angry voice and I keep saying 'F U F U' however Castillo door bell right in sight and taxistas around also. He was alone and I not feel threatened but the nerve to say that. I not drunk and was getting ready to put my fist into his face if he got close to me.

Place this situation when there is more than 1 hostile and/or in unfamiliar territory and will be a problem.