www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:59 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

CRT legend Big Daddy came to visit me in Medellin and took a fall which led to him having a spinal surgery. He has been laid up in the hospital for 6 weeks and still struggling to recover. Please send prayers, positive thoughts vibes and energy to get him up and out of the hospital and back with his family in the States.

Much appreciated,

PR

Last edited by Phoenix Rising on Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:38 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Prayers & Positive Thoughts Sent. BD is a Good Man !!!

Get Well Soon !!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:02 pm 

I'm heartbroken to share with y'all Big Daddy is no more. He passed away yesterday. :( :( :(

Big Daddy (or Papi Grande as the ladies called him) and I shared many fun times together - as well as some tough ones - in Costa Rica, Colombia, the US, and other places.

So many great stories I could tell, but I'll just mention one to show the kind of person he was:

In 2017 Hurricane Irma was headed straight to Miami and it looked BAD. My family and I were trying to get out of the hurricane's path, but we couldn't find a hotel with vacancies closer than Tennessee. Obviously there were no flights to be had. We got in the car and start driving north on I75 along with half of South Florida, trusting to the good Lord to help us find a place to lay our weary heads.

Big Daddy calls me up and says, "Come stay at my place" in GA. He opened his home to us until the power came back on at my house in Miami.

I had the opportunity to visit him at the hospital in Medellin last week before he passed, for which I am eternally grateful. As I am to Phoenix Rising and other CRTers in MDE who were there for Big Daddy in his final days.

R... can't believe I won't be seeing your "Hey bromigo..." greeting on WhatsApp anymore. Or I won't sit with you on your favorite balcony in MDE and chat while smoking cigars. :(

Rest in power, bromigo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:18 pm 

R.I.P. My Old Friend !!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:21 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Sorry for the friends left behind. Sounds like he was doing pretty good prior to his fall. Rough exit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:50 pm 

I just today sent off BD's personal effects to his family today. and this closes the book on this sad nightmare of the past 2 and a half months of his accident, extended hospital stay trying to recover, his subsequent death, and the red tape involved with the Fiscalia and Autopsy I had to navigate.

Big Daddy chose his moniker from a character played by Burl Ives in the 1958 movie adaption of a Tennessee Williams play called "Cat On a Hot Tin Roof" Like Burl, he was a heavy set, cigar puffing good ole boy from the South. He was a frequent visitor at the Sportsmen's Lodge in the mid 2000's in the heyday of CR. Jovial, talkative and funny he was an easy guy to be friendly with. He loved the ladies and the ladies loved him. He made up for his lack of good looks (referred to himself as Jabba the Hut) by being "generous" and maybe to a fault.

As CR declined he ventured out to Thailand with his buddy Spanky and spent some time hobbying there.

In April 2013 El Silencioso and I suggested he come visit Medellin with us as we planned to rent the VIP hotel in Patio Bonito with a group, and like many he was immediately hooked. On his next trip a few months later, he met a paisa who he fell for hook line and sinker and, long story short, ignoring my advice, whisked her off to the US and married her. We didn't speak for a few years. And no surprise, left him penniless by 2019.

He got divorced, got up, dusted himself off and called me in early 2020, Hey Bromigo, I am back. Over the ensuing years he enjoyed Medellin the right way, and was at the top of his game with a harem of at least 15 who absolutely adored him. He was living the dream and just months away from full retirement.

Then on Oct 2, while on a trip here in Medellin, after taking a shower, he collapsed in the bathroom and ES found him unconscious on the floor. He was taken to the best hospital in Colombia (they say), had surgery to address fracturs in his spine. He rallied to the point of getting released briefly but complications due his personal health and lingering infections at the surgical site brought him back to the hospital where he finally succumbed on Dec 5.

His amiguitas have been texting nonstop absolutely devasted. Not only because they lost their Cajero Gringo, they generally were sweet on this lovable old coot.

RIP my bromigo gonna miss ya alot. :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:30 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

You are quite a friend for doing all the follow up to get him back home with his family PR. I don't think many would do that. But that last part of his life with his harem sure sounds like he was enjoying himself.
Sounds like he slipped and went down. No matter how old or what shape we are in the shower is a very dangerous place.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:01 pm 

RIP amigo. We hung once in 2013 in Thailand. He made us laugh like crazy the whole weekend.

Like others have said, he will be missed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:14 pm 

Haven't been on CRT in a few minutes, and I had some free time today so I figured I'd try to catch up. And then I saw this thread... :cry:

Big Daddy was one of the original CRT Goodfellaz. Damn, I can't believe he's gone. He was always a great guy to hang out with and share a beer or 3. It's very sad to hear of his passing.

R.I.P. Bromigo. We'll see ya on the other side!

MG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:33 pm 
God rest his soul, big daddy, very well known. I got to hear very good anecdotes of his part, I had not heard of such a sad loss ...

A hug to all greetings!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:50 pm 

LAME W A M F A H

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:35 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

DManWalking wrote:
LAME W A M F A H

Translation please :?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:55 pm 

Jetsetter747 wrote:
DManWalking wrote:
LAME W A M F A H

Translation please :?

My guess would be: Lame - What A MotherF@#!$% A$$Hole :| :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:40 pm 

No just an asshole into capitals.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:08 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Sorry to hear about the loss. Never got to meet him in SJO, MDE or BKK. Nice to know he had so many friends which gave him such a wonderful full life. You are awesome for being there for him. Maybe I’ll see you next time i’m in Medellin. I don’t come down as much since spending time in Thailand but planning a trip soon. Would like to meet if you have the time. Bob