www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:34 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I'm a 15 year resident down on the coast and it's getting too hot for me these days so I'm phasing out of my current town (Coco) and looking to move to the central valley. I've been looking at Barrio Escalante but will probably look at Sabana and maybe Heredia. I looked at Cartago on the map today and being as how I've never been out there I think I'll take take a run out there next time up to San Jose. I'm looking for a small apartment or studio to rent furnished to use as an SJO home base for my frequent trips to/through SJO. I'd welcome any comments/contacts/suggestions from any of you experienced central valley guys.

Namely these areas of info:
Chica Friendly hotels (all?) in Cartago (a couple of my favoritas live in Cartago)
Furnished apartments Barrio Escalante/Cartago/Heredia/Sabana or other cool loc, how/where to search?
Cartago experience living/staying...any reflections

I see a lot on ads on Encuentra24 for high rise stuff for like $1000 plus...not my price range (yet) and a car needed in most of those developments...boo.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:34 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Look between Curridabat (MultiPlaza Este) and Tres Rios (Terramall). You are far enough away from Downtown/UCR area for decent prices. Cartago is definitely cheaper, but further out. Check a couple of blocks to either side of Ruta Nacional 2. I like the Plaza del Sol area. Lots of transportation options. Check out the iFreses high rise, smaller units around $800
https://www.bienesonline.co.cr/ficha-ap ... A69661.php

Also lots of older, smaller buildings but because of the terrain many of these still have views. I chose Sabana over this area because it is flatter and I have mobility issues.

Another strategy is to look along the San Jose - Cartago train route, especially if you are sold on Cartago/Paraiso
https://incofer.go.cr/transporte-de-per ... e-cartago/
The Atlantico / Tres Rios / Cartago stops open up a lot of transit opportunities.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:01 pm 

Thanks Boynton. I will take all your comments under advisory. Yes, I am looking all along the train lines. I like Atlantico station in Escalante because it's the hub for all three lines. I haven't had a car in 15 years and intend to keep it that way, especially in San Jose/central valley.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:38 pm 

One bit of advice is to check on the water situation at any rental. When I was in Amon during the dry season there were rolling outages/low pressure days. Also, no backflow preventers. it was a real pain when the water went out from 9am to 9pm (no showers or toilet flushes) plus whenever there was an outage, the faucets would clog with sand and several times I got the runs. My apartment had 3 stories, during low pressure times I would not get water up to the third story (showers & bathroom) and only a trickle on the second floor (kitchen & guest bath). Eventually, I negotiated a storage tank and pump to be installed in the basement.

In Nunciatura, the building I live in has reserve water AND an emergency generator that powers the elevators. I pay $1100 for a two bedroom with 100Mbps Internet, basic TV, A/C, W/D, & Dishwasher. Building has 24x7 security, observation deck on 20th floor, heated pool, gym, party room, BBQ area. My lease has no visitor restrictions as long as decorum is maintained. There is short term motel nearby if I want to get rowdy (Hotel Solo Bueno Deluxe). My unit also has one parking spot in the garage which I sublet out for $60 per month.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:42 pm 

Hmmm...Nunciatura...I like the idea of that area. Thanks. Nice to have feedback from someone with boots on the ground. Initially I'm just looking for a small furnished 1 bdrm or even a studio for 3-6 months. Just a place to hang my hat when passing through San Jose for flights out of SJO or when up there for medical appointments, without having to hotel it every time and as a half way house before I decide to punch out of Coco, probably next year. It looks like a lot of apt buildings in the Nunciatura area. I suppose most have smaller, furnished options?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:58 pm 

Rohrmoser / Nunciatura is an older area undergoing redevelopment. There are a lot of embassies in the area so the services are good. A lot of high rises being built but there plenty of smaller buildings and duplexes. These mostly advertise by window signs rather than social media ads. Look on Google Maps at the area between Multiplaza Escazu and Parque Sabana between Rio Torres to the north and Rio Tiribi to the south. You may find 3-6 month leases hard to find. These short-term rentals are usually taxed as hotels. Of course, you can sign a 1-year lease and then forfeit the deposit if you vacate early.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:12 am 

Boynton wrote:
Rohrmoser / Nunciatura is an older area undergoing redevelopment. There are a lot of embassies in the area so the services are good. A lot of high rises being built but there plenty of smaller buildings and duplexes. These mostly advertise by window signs rather than social media ads. Look on Google Maps at the area between Multiplaza Escazu and Parque Sabana between Rio Torres to the north and Rio Tiribi to the south. You may find 3-6 month leases hard to find. These short-term rentals are usually taxed as hotels. Of course, you can sign a 1-year lease and then forfeit the deposit if you vacate early.

The advantage of this area is that transportation is excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:19 am 

Whitecat wrote:
Boynton wrote:

The advantage of this area is that transportation is excellent.

No holes in the sidewalks, no trash in the streets, no crackheads lurking in the bushes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:18 pm 

Boynton wrote:

Hangin' on every word. Appreciate the effort and extra scoop. Gracias, mae.