www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:01 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I was looking to book a trip to San Jose late June or July. I first checked Delta since I have status on Delta, and they have the best connections from my home airport. Even flying weekdays, the fares were from $1,200 to over $2000 for Main Cabin. United and American were similar. Might have to bite the bullet and give Spirit a shot again though my one experience with them was dismal.

The prices do seem to start coming back down a bit mid to late August.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:37 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Harddrive43228 wrote:
I was looking to book a trip to San Jose late June or July. I first checked Delta since I have status on Delta, and they have the best connections from my home airport. Even flying weekdays, the fares were from $1,200 to over $2000 for Main Cabin. United and American were similar. Might have to bite the bullet and give Spirit a shot again though my one experience with them was dismal.

Try Copa Airlines, especially their stayover panama program. Stayover is much more cheaper than direct flights for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:57 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

hunkyfunky wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:

Try Copa Airlines, especially their stayover panama program. Stayover is much more cheaper than direct flights for me.

i used to do overnights in panama city when Veneto was open.. hows the action there now?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:57 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Spirit Ok Harddrive if you can get a big front seat. Will pay more but worth it if not too expensive. I did it one time FLL-MDE for $60 each way but that was over 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:55 am 

My problem with Spirit isn't comfort but rather the unreliability of connections and delays. I don't want to turn a 7 hour Journey into a two day travel nightmare.

Last edited by Harddrive43228 on Sun May 21, 2023 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:42 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I don't know if this is fact or not, but I was told by a friend that read a recent article from an airline industry consultant that indicated not to expect any significant decreases in flight costs in the near future. Prices will only go lower when near pre-pandemic business travel sales levels are achieved. That may take years and may never reach pre-pandemic levels. Higher prices are here to stay. We can only hope that the prices will only be 30-50% higher than pre-pandemic prices and not the 100-120% higher than what is currently the case.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:40 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Harddrive43228 wrote:

I found a good deal on Delta in August just under $650. But your right June and July prices were $1500-2000 International travel right now is extremely high priced. I would rather pay a higher price or adjust my travel dates for peace of mind than risk a flight with Spirit.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:38 am 

I am down here now using Delta miles. I figure I ought to use them since the are worth less and less every day. Ended up booking a short trip to the DR mid June at a decent price and Costa Rica in September. That's going to have to hold me until SE Asia in October

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:26 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I had dreams of making it down there for thanksgiving to save some PTO. But I’m seeing $1300-1800 prices! I know it’s holiday rates but twice what it would cost in the weeks before? No thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:51 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I hear what you are saying about the prices. My problem is that there have been no direct flights available on any airlines from Phoenix to SJO since march 2020. The flight schedules are terrible and all the connections are in hurricane and tornado alley. I used to come down about 4-5 times a year. The two times I came down post covid were not worth the expense and hassle. If I lived near an airport with direct flights, I would come back down in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:04 am 

SJO to Atlanta right now is $1,200.00 on Delta!!! Found it for less than half of that on SW.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 7:07 am 

Whitecat wrote:
SJO to Atlanta right now is $1,200.00 on Delta!!! Found it for less than half of that on SW.

I had to go see for myself! He is right. I went to Google Flights and filtered for Delta only. Wow! Delta doesn’t want to go to SJO.

Interesting experiment: while still filtered for Delta-only flights I tried alternative origin cities with the same result until I entered MCO (Orlando) to SJO, Delta-only and they were much cheaper. About equal to Spirit with luggage prices. Delta MCO-SJO 24-31 May = $497.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:30 am 

From my hometown, Delta really has the only reasonable routes to SJO or Liberia. I can use United, American, Spirit or Southwest but at one or both of the legs either has a very long layover, multiple stops or over night connections. Delta seems to be pricing high if the is no other good alternative airline also servicing that route. I'm sure that is why Orlando is pretty reasonable. That's why I am deferring SJO travel until September and hitting Sosua in June. I just can't justify that kind of fare for less than 6 hours of flight time.

Hell, I am flying to SE Asia (EWR-SIN-SGN, BKK-EWR) in October, business class on Singapore Air for less than $3K. And that includes a free stopover in Singapore on the outbound. Granted, I booked real early and searched hard for bargains and I probably will have to spend a couple of hundred $$ to get to and from Newark but that seems like a reasonable price for the value.

What floors me is that someone must be paying those prices or they would be coming down, And those are just their regular economy fares or what they call main cabin. Now even on short haul international flights, unless you have status or a Delta credit card, you are going to get hit with a $40 bag fee each way if you check a bag. You could probably shave $100 off of those fares with a Basic Economy fare if they are available but you'll be screwed if you have to change or cancel.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:12 pm 

For those airline prices, you might as well to to Thailand. I go in four weeks and paid 2k for the flight. Much better mongering destination than CR anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:36 pm 

Haywood Jablommi wrote:
For those airline prices, you might as well to to Thailand. I go in four weeks and paid 2k for the flight. Much better mongering destination than CR anyway.

Which airline? Isn’t this the off season for Thailand?