www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:42 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Hey guys,

Will be making my return after about 4 years to San Jose. Any one have any recent, personal knowledge of good places to dance salsa in San Jose. Salsa, not general Latin dance (for those that do know know the difference). Intermidiate (ish) dancer on1 linear style (but can do Colombian/Cali and a bit of Cuban too).

Saludos,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:04 am 

Salsa 54 in El Carmen
https://www.facebook.com/Salsa54discotheque
https://instagram.com/salsa54discotheque

Also, check to see what is happening at Clics Modernos in the Key Largo Cultural Center. It can be hit or miss depending on the weekend. It can have some interesting content. You may be familiar with argentino Charley Garcia.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:40 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Ricon Salsero dance studio, located in Curridabat.WX93+CQG, El Hogar, San José, 11801,
I went to the dance studio about 4-5 years ago when it was located near the San Pedro Mall.
They host events at different venues around San Jose.
They teach on "1", and Bachata . I went on a Saturday afternoon , more ladies then men. Sweated my ass off ,but was fun. It was 6$ back then. The main instructor is, or was, Andy Mora, spoke decent english.
Worth checking out .. you'll meet a lot of really pretty ladies. Non P4P types
Beginner and intermediate classes, They did have classes about every night..

Flaco in Ft Lauderdale

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:56 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Seems like a good way to spend $6.00 if you're into exploration.

Would love to hear about anybody else's experience who has done it, or who has information on current venues and prices.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:10 pm 

Thanks for the info.

Salsa dancing is fun AF. I have been doing it for a bit now, and have become obsessed. Going to be part of all of my travel from now on. Great dancing in Colombia--Bogota and Medellin have tons of schools that dance linear On1. Cali more of the circular CaleNa style, as it danced in most clubs throughout Colombia.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:05 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

The Key Largo has live music and Salsa dancing every Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
I have been going back there since February and they alternate the bands starting at 7 pm. Every night I was there they had 3 different bands playing until 2am. Like them on Facebook and you will get the weekly schedule of events. Drinks are very reasonable and the crowd comes and goes throughout the night. There are some really good dancers that I would like to believe may be instructors for Salsa. The ladies were not shy approaching me to teach me how to dance. However don’t expect it to be like the old days. The people here are couples and mixed groups who just want to listen to music and dance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:21 am 

fooddude wrote:
The Key Largo has live music and Salsa dancing every Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
I have been going back there since February and they alternate the bands starting at 7 pm. Every night I was there they had 3 different bands playing until 2am. Like them on Facebook and you will get the weekly schedule of events. Drinks are very reasonable and the crowd comes and goes throughout the night. There are some really good dancers that I would like to believe may be instructors for Salsa. The ladies were not shy approaching me to teach me how to dance. However don’t expect it to be like the old days. The people here are couples and mixed groups who just want to listen to music and dance.

Thank you for this---I saw some of this. I also saw they have a band on Wed. night (salsa). This helps, as I will only be in town for four nights, and not on the weekend (flying to Quito on Friday, as they have a great nonstop flight super check). This is also just a short trip for old time sake.

Super appreciate the info. New bucket list goal is to dance salsa in every country in Central and South America--given that I just started (Panama and Colombia), I have some work to do!