www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:31 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on flights from LAX to San Jose.

First option:

LAX to SJO on Alaska Air:

Lv LAX at 2:00 Arrive SJO at 9;45
Lv SJO 12:30 A.M. Arrive LAX 6 AM

Second option:

LAX to SJO on Delta

Lv. LAX at 11:30 pm Arrive SJO 7:10 AM
Lv SJO at 8:00 Arrive LAX at 1:30 PM

Current cost is $120 more on Delta than Alaska. Maybe arriving at 9:45 pm on Alaska is really too late to get to Castillo and get checked in?

I'll be staying at the Castillo.
Dates are March 7-16.

If these were your options, what would you do and why? I don't have much experience with Alaska and I didn't really check to see if there are any added costs for upgrading seats, etc.

Thanks for the input!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:39 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Alaska

Should be no problem getting checked in at the Castillo but I would let them know ahead of time that you will be as late arrival. They have someone on duty all night. The Castillo bar will probably be closed but the Taormina and Del Rey should still be going strong. At that time of night customs / immigration should be a breeze. I would either prearrange transport or get an Orange taxi. Uber might be scarce around the airport at that time.

The biggest negative is having to pay for an extra night in the hotel for your 12:30am departure and it puts a damper on your last night.

Delta

That 7:10 arrival is going to be problematic unless you get lucky and the person in the room before you checks out very early. Even with that, they usually don't start cleaning rooms there until after breakfast is finished (around 10:30). They will hold your bags for you before you can check in. Maybe head to Monicas, get a quick shower and a session. Come back to the Castillo and maybe your room will be ready.

Ideally, I would take the Alaska flight outbound and the Delta return. Have you tried to price that? Maybe a travel agent could help with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:56 am 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Alaska

Should be no problem getting checked in at the Castillo but I would let them know ahead of time that you will be as late arrival. They have someone on duty all night. The Castillo bar will probably be closed but the Taormina and Del Rey should still be going strong. At that time of night customs / immigration should be a breeze. I would either prearrange transport or get an Orange taxi. Uber might be scarce around the airport at that time.

The biggest negative is having to pay for an extra night in the hotel for your 12:30am departure and it puts a damper on your last night.

Delta

That 7:10 arrival is going to be problematic unless you get lucky and the person in the room before you checks out very early. Even with that, they usually don't start cleaning rooms there until after breakfast is finished (around 10:30). They will hold your bags for you before you can check in. Maybe head to Monicas, get a quick shower and a session. Come back to the Castillo and maybe your room will be ready.

Ideally, I would take the Alaska flight outbound and the Delta return. Have you tried to price that? Maybe a travel agent could help with that.

Thanks for your response. Ideally, (not sure why) I like to stay with the same airline arriving and departing. Not very good choices. Not crazy about landing at 9:45 pm (will it be hard to catch a taxi...change money at the airport, etc?)...but the flight out at 12:30 AM doesn't bother me much...I'd just get to the airport early, etc...or, if available, pay for the extra day/night at the Castillo..I booked already, but not through the night I'd be flying out...just through checkout time..

With Delta, the 8:00 AM flight out seems early...what time would I have to leave the Amistad to commfortably get through security for my flight?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:31 pm 

As far as getting to the airport early to catch your 12:05 am flight, with a noon checkout you are going to be very bored. Not much to do at the SJO airport. Even the lounges, if you have access are pretty lame. Much better to bite the bullet an pay for an extra night. Grab a girl early, lots of them usually hanging around the Castillo at dinner time and play around until 8:30 or so. Grab a quick shower, check out and head to the airport.

There should be Orange taxis at the airport for a 10pm arrival. If the taxi drivers know there are arriving flights, they are usually available.

I'm sure the BCR kiosk to exchange dollars will be closed but I believe there is an ATM available in the arrivals area. Don't use the exchange booth in the arrivals area. Very bad rate.

Time to leave to catch an 8am flight will really depend on the day of the week. If it's a weekend or holiday you should be able to get to the airport in 30 minutes or so. During the week I would allow for an hour. It shouldn't take that long but you never know. I don't know what kind of lines Alaska has as I have never flown them out of SJO. Delta lines can be long and slow unless you are flying First class or have Medallion Gold or higher. Early mornings the immigration / security lines can be long unless you have a First / Business class ticket to go through the fast track line.

Since the Castillo provides free taxi back to the airport (with a 4 night stay), I would ask them the best time when you arrange the ride.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:47 pm 

Thanks for the helpful info. I think I'm just going to do the Delta flight. It's a red eye from LAX and arrives at 7:10. Once I'm to the Castillo I'll just drop my luggage off and ask when my room might be ready. I'll also email in advance asking if it can be ready. I can just walk around for a few hours...grab coffee, eat, etc.

The Delta plane departs at 8 AM on the return flight which isn't ideal, but I'll just ask them what time we should leave since (as you mentioned ) they provide a free ride back to the airport and will know what time we should leave.

I'm just not crazy about the 9:45 PM arrival time with Alaska, nor the 12:30 AM departure time. I will have had 7 nights in San Jose and two night in Jaco already so don't really need to squeeze in another day and pay for another day for those few extra hours.

Now I just have to decide whether to upgrade a bit on Delta instead of doing the basic which I think is non refunable...just answered my own pondering I think. LOL.

Thanks again. Oh, is it necessary or worth it to change dollars at the airport?

Harddrive43228 wrote:
As far as getting to the airport early to catch your 12:05 am flight, with a noon checkout you are going to be very bored. Not much to do at the SJO airport. Even the lounges, if you have access are pretty lame. Much better to bite the bullet an pay for an extra night. Grab a girl early, lots of them usually hanging around the Castillo at dinner time and play around until 8:30 or so. Grab a quick shower, check out and head to the airport.

There should be Orange taxis at the airport for a 10pm arrival. If the taxi drivers know there are arriving flights, they are usually available.

I'm sure the BCR kiosk to exchange dollars will be closed but I believe there is an ATM available in the arrivals area. Don't use the exchange booth in the arrivals area. Very bad rate.

Time to leave to catch an 8am flight will really depend on the day of the week. If it's a weekend or holiday you should be able to get to the airport in 30 minutes or so. During the week I would allow for an hour. It shouldn't take that long but you never know. I don't know what kind of lines Alaska has as I have never flown them out of SJO. Delta lines can be long and slow unless you are flying First class or have Medallion Gold or higher. Early mornings the immigration / security lines can be long unless you have a First / Business class ticket to go through the fast track line.

Since the Castillo provides free taxi back to the airport (with a 4 night stay), I would ask them the best time when you arrange the ride.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:41 pm 

I have used the Delta flights you are thinking about.
Arriving in SJO at 7:10 am means you will take between an hour to hour and half to get to Castillo depending on how long you are in the immigration line. Usually at the Castillo your room will be ready unless it is a very busy time like Superbowl week or Halloween.
There are no ATMs in the baggage area any more. Do not change money at the airport. The official orange taxi stand just inside the arrivals gate will allow you to pay with your ATM card. After getting to the Castillo you can take a 5 minute stroll to the INS building. They have 3 ATMs outside and one BCR ATM on the second floor inside, which I prefer to use.
For the 8 A.M flight back I ask for the Castillo taxi to pick me up at 5:30 A.M. and at that time I usually get to the airport by 6.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:50 pm 

Redfield10 wrote:
Oh, is it necessary or worth it to change dollars at the airport?

I don't believe the BCR kiosk in the departures area will be open when you arrive. The Orange taxis will quote you a price in USD and you can pay in USD so no colones needed.

When you get to the Castillo and drop off your bags you can either hit an ATM or exchange dollars. Since you are arriving that early and your room won't be available, you might be able to scam them for a free breakfast.

For an ATM I usually use one of the two machines in front of the INS building. It's a two minute walk from the Castillo and the front desk can point the way. If you don't have a debit card that refunds ATM fees like the Schwab card, be sure to check what the fees are going to be. Also DO NOT choose the option to let the ATM bank do the currency conversion for you.

Assuming it is after 9am you can also walk into the lobby of INS building and go up the escalator and there is a bank where you can exchange dollars at the true rate. Just pick a number, have a seat and wait for your number to be called.

On Delta, if you pay for an upgrade AFTER you've purchased you ticket, the upgrade is non-changeable and non-refundable. If you purchase the upgrade when you buy the ticket by purchasing Comfort Plus or First then the ticket can be changed (you have to pay whatever the new ticket price is for your new dates) or you can cancel the ticket where you would get a full credit good for 12 months from the original date of purchase.

Comfort Plus really isn't worth it for the price difference they usually charge but sometimes the difference is minimal. The seat is a little better, a little more recline, priority boarding and I believe you get a drink. I usually get upgraded automatically to Comfort as I have status on Delta and frankly I prefer the regular Economy exit rows.

Be advised I do not know for certain what Delta's rules are for 2023. Be sure to check. They got a lot nicer during Covid and I would not be surprised if they started to get more restrictive again.

Enjoy your trip

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:03 pm 

Great info! Thanks! By Delta maybe getting more restrictive, do you mean maybe requiring masks or are you referring to testing requirements? No testing reqts so far in CR anymore, correct?

You've been a ton of help!

R

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Redfield10 wrote:
Oh, is it necessary or worth it to change dollars at the airport?

I don't believe the BCR kiosk in the departures area will be open when you arrive. The Orange taxis will quote you a price in USD and you can pay in USD so no colones needed.

When you get to the Castillo and drop off your bags you can either hit an ATM or exchange dollars. Since you are arriving that early and your room won't be available, you might be able to scam them for a free breakfast.

For an ATM I usually use one of the two machines in front of the INS building. It's a two minute walk from the Castillo and the front desk can point the way. If you don't have a debit card that refunds ATM fees like the Schwab card, be sure to check what the fees are going to be. Also DO NOT choose the option to let the ATM bank do the currency conversion for you.

Assuming it is after 9am you can also walk into the lobby of INS building and go up the escalator and there is a bank where you can exchange dollars at the true rate. Just pick a number, have a seat and wait for your number to be called.

On Delta, if you pay for an upgrade AFTER you've purchased you ticket, the upgrade is non-changeable and non-refundable. If you purchase the upgrade when you buy the ticket by purchasing Comfort Plus or First then the ticket can be changed (you have to pay whatever the new ticket price is for your new dates) or you can cancel the ticket where you would get a full credit good for 12 months from the original date of purchase.

Comfort Plus really isn't worth it for the price difference they usually charge but sometimes the difference is minimal. The seat is a little better, a little more recline, priority boarding and I believe you get a drink. I usually get upgraded automatically to Comfort as I have status on Delta and frankly I prefer the regular Economy exit rows.

Be advised I do not know for certain what Delta's rules are for 2023. Be sure to check. They got a lot nicer during Covid and I would not be surprised if they started to get more restrictive again.

Enjoy your trip

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:43 pm 

Thank you so much for the info. Both you guys have been more than helpful! If you guys want to try the Castillo, I will be there from March 7,8,9 (Jaco for two nights on the 10th and 11th) and Castillo again from 12 through 15th and imagine I'll be at the bar some of that time, etc. and for meals, of course. Or PM me here and I can provide contact info.

Cheers!!

R

Isra123 wrote:
I have used the Delta flights you are thinking about.
Arriving in SJO at 7:10 am means you will take between an hour to hour and half to get to Castillo depending on how long you are in the immigration line. Usually at the Castillo your room will be ready unless it is a very busy time like Superbowl week or Halloween.
There are no ATMs in the baggage area any more. Do not change money at the airport. The official orange taxi stand just inside the arrivals gate will allow you to pay with your ATM card. After getting to the Castillo you can take a 5 minute stroll to the INS building. They have 3 ATMs outside and one BCR ATM on the second floor inside, which I prefer to use.
For the 8 A.M flight back I ask for the Castillo taxi to pick me up at 5:30 A.M. and at that time I usually get to the airport by 6.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:46 pm 

Just wanted to be sure you were taking advantage of the discounted transportation to and from Jaco as part of the Castillo all inclusive. The savings covered more than a night's hotel fee in Jaco.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:09 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Just wanted to be sure you were taking advantage of the discounted transportation to and from Jaco as part of the Castillo all inclusive. The savings covered more than a night's hotel fee in Jaco.

I will be, yes. Thanks for mentioning that. I sent an email to Cocal now and immediately they’re trying to upsell with the ocean view deluxe and I think all I really need is a poolside. I was there in 2015 I think at once it was in had a poolside room. I think they are recording those is 210 including tax. I could look around the area there, but I’m really only going to stay there Friday and Saturday night so I probably can bite the bullet it might be harder to get a Chica to go elsewhere.. especially assuming if it’s a nighttime endeavor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:22 pm 

Cocal rates are crazy especially on the weekend.

Check out Hotel Jaco. Most rooms are 1 BR suites with full kitchen. Very nice pool. Totally guest friendly. Gringo owned. Less than 10 minute walk to the Cocal across the bridge. When I stayed there a lot cheaper than the Cocal and a lot nicer.

I stayed once in a Cocal poolside room. Great in the daytime but the music made the bed shake off the floor at night.

Update: Just checked their website. Rooms are a LOT nicer following a recent remodel, but no longer cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:47 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Cocal rates are crazy especially on the weekend.

Check out Hotel Jaco. Most rooms are 1 BR suites with full kitchen. Very nice pool. Totally guest friendly. Gringo owned. Less than 10 minute walk to the Cocal across the bridge. When I stayed there a lot cheaper than the Cocal and a lot nicer.

I stayed once in a Cocal poolside room. Great in the daytime but the music made the bed shake off the floor at night.

Update: Just checked their website. Rooms are a LOT nicer following a recent remodel, but no longer cheap.

Ugh, thanks for checking! I did call the Cocal and talked with a guy and he said poolside rooms were $210 including tax. I haven't heard back from their email though. They sent a form but I want to clarify if I can get a poolside, but I do rememeber it's noisy. I've stayed there twice. Seems there are rooms in the front that are less noisy, too. Not sure what I'm goimg to do...would like two nights there though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:50 pm 

I have taken the Delta LAX-SJO flight bunches of times. The one that leaves around 11:00 pm and arrives around 7:00 a.m. I always stay at the SL and I've been using the same driver for years. Typically I arrive at the SL around 8:30 - 9:00 and I don't know whether it's just luck or what but on almost every occasion my room has been ready for me upon arrival. I think the most I ever had to wait was 2 hours so I've been fortunate. When I fly back to LAX I always catch the Sunday flight that leaves at 8:00 am. Zero traffic on Sunday's so we usually leave the SL between 5:45 - 6:00 and I'm there with plenty of time to spare. HUGE difference compared to leaving during the week as traffic can be Miserable. Also I typically fly Delta in Comfort Plus or Business Class when the fares are reasonable. That helps a lot going thru check-in and security etc. Lastly, I have to admit, compared to 10/15 years ago SJO has undergone very significant improvements.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:07 pm 

BondTrader wrote:
I have taken the Delta LAX-SJO flight bunches of times. The one that leaves around 11:00 pm and arrives around 7:00 a.m. I always stay at the SL and I've been using the same driver for years. Typically I arrive at the SL around 8:30 - 9:00 and I don't know whether it's just luck or what but on almost every occasion my room has been ready for me upon arrival. I think the most I ever had to wait was 2 hours so I've been fortunate. When I fly back to LAX I always catch the Sunday flight that leaves at 8:00 am. Zero traffic on Sunday's so we usually leave the SL between 5:45 - 6:00 and I'm there with plenty of time to spare. HUGE difference compared to leaving during the week as traffic can be Miserable. Also I typically fly Delta in Comfort Plus or Business Class when the fares are reasonable. That helps a lot going thru check-in and security etc. Lastly, I have to admit, compared to 10/15 years ago SJO has undergone very significant improvements.

Thanks for the info. I'm taking the 11:30 pm flight out of LAX on Tues., March 87and returning Thursday March 16 (on a weekday morning) at 8:00 AM so I'll have to leave early for the airport on Thursday. I like to arrive at the airport early so what time do you think I need to leave from the Castillo to arrive comfortably for my flight back to LAX? 4:30 AM?