www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:23 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Hello,

I have been interested in Costa Rica Rentista Residency program. I'm still at working age without an annuity; however, can meet the requirements for Rentista. The concern I have is the Caja program. Is there a way to proceed with Rentista; however, not pay into Caja. My numbers show it would now be a payment of $400 a month to cover the $2,500 monthly "withdrawals" from the bank of Costa Rica.

is there a way to opt-out of Caja and still maintain Rentista? Does the $400 a month in Caja fee sound about right?

Ben

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:01 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

No, there's not.

Also, would you be willing to post the table from which you get that $400 caja figure?

My understanding is that though there is such a table, actual caja assessments tend to vary a lot based on criteria that's never been made transparent. Or maybe there just isn't any.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:43 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I do not know anything about caja fees except for what I have read here. Googling caja fee for a chart led me to this site. https://www.crie.cr/en/caja-fees-increase/ This site explains the caja has two parts 1) SEM - healthcare coverage, and 2) IVM - pension contributions. The contribution to IVM/pension seems to be new and the site explains those with caja prior to March 2022 do not have to pay into the IVM/pension, and could opt out. Now it seems mandatory. It was unclear to me what happens when one needs to renew their temporary residency, will the new rate apply or are they grandfathered in and do not need to pay the IVM/pension.

The cost for $2,500 rentestia temporary residency based on the chart says it costs 8.2% for the SEM/healthcare, and 7.65% for the IVM/pension. So (2,500 x 8.2%) + (2,500 x 7.65%) = $396.25 USD monthly Caja payment.

The $400 seems to agree with something I found on the internet. Not sure what others are paying. If you search the forum, others have talked about caja costs, residency and other issues.

The costa rica star news paper has an article addressing the same issue. https://news.co.cr/caja-rates-spikes-fo ... ica/82984/ I could not find a chart on the official ccss website, but they did have a calculator. However, it seems like it is not available on the website anymore. May be do to the recent hacking that took place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:49 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Bookie wrote:
No, there's not.

Also, would you be willing to post the table from which you get that $400 caja figure?

My understanding is that though there is such a table, actual caja assessments tend to vary a lot based on criteria that's never been made transparent. Or maybe there just isn't any.

From the same link the other poster provided.
https://www.crie.cr/en/caja-fees-increase/

I'm tending to agree that there isn't a way out of the fee. I'll poke more on the forums.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:33 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Another option could be a perpetual tourist, and not apply for residency. Apparently when arriving in CR, one is given a 90 day tourist visa. So one would leave the country (a border run to say Nicaragua) every 90 days to renew their 90 day tourist visa. There are lots of guides/information on the net about this. Probably already considered. No sure if it is a good idea or not.