www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:15 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

it's been over 5 years since my last trip, where do they sell sim cards?

in the past, when buying a prepaid SIM, they asked for passport and took forever, still the same?

do the SIMs come with any data or buy separate?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:23 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

When I want a new SIM card, I go to any movie star store or kiosk and get one in about 10 minutes.
Just have to show cedula or passport

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:37 pm 

You can get Claro SIM cards for 1mil at the register of any Walmart and activate it online or over the phone if you can speak Spanish. You will need a passport number. You can activate 5 numbers on an6 passport number. You can then add value using the llamacostarica.com web site. This website allows to to add value to and Claro, Kolbi or Liberty(Movistar) account.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:35 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Orange wrote:
it's been over 5 years since my last trip, where do they sell sim cards?

in the past, when buying a prepaid SIM, they asked for passport and took forever, still the same?

do the SIMs come with any data or buy separate?

Movistar numbers work in the USA. They are the only ones that do the last time I tested.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:10 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

You can go into almost any store that sells cell phones to get a prepaid sim chip. And street vendors sell sim chips for 1 mil with time on them that are already activated. Just put chip into phone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:28 pm 

Is there still a Kolbi kiosk hust past the baggage carousels? That’s where I got my last chip in 2018

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:33 pm 

No kiosk near baggage counter.
see the article in the newbie section "current cell service and what to use"
Kojo 96 has posted a link to a website with current info. yesterday. traveltomtom.
I do not know how to do the "view topic" thing. :oops: :oops: :oops:

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:00 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Here is the link again, it's a good article.

https://www.traveltomtom.net/destinatio ... costa-rica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:32 am 

TECNOVILLALOBOS CR

https://www.facebook.com/reparacioncelularvillalobos/

Calle 7 between Avenida Central and Avenida 1, closer to Avenida central on the west side of the street, about a block south west of HDR.

They use Movistar (Now Liberty)

Ask for George, he speaks English.

Been using them for years, they unlocked a USA cell phone for me, can handle most issues, they will install the chip, give you your number, test the phone out, you can buy 5 or 10 mil crc time in addition to the 1 mil chip and be on your way in 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:53 am 

Netgems wrote:
TECNOVILLALOBOS CR

Calle 7 between Avenida Central and Avenida 1, closer to Avenida central on the west side of the street, about a block south west of HDR.

Been using them for years, they unlocked a USA cell phone for me, can handle most issues, they will install the chip, give you your number, test the phone out, you can buy 5 or 10 mil crc time in addition to the 1 mil chip and be on your way in 5 minutes.

There are many many locations where you can get a Claro, Kolbi, or Liberty (Movistar) sim cards. Almost all cell phone repair or sales places, plus the company stores on Avenida Central and many other places. Same process as far as I know. I have Claro, have had Kolbi, and others (as above) Movistar. I like the bigger company stores, less likely to get BS. I had one guy that said my phone was locked and I would need to buy a phone from him to get a costa rica SIM. Scam. After considerable trouble I found that my phone was actually not locked, and he was just trying to scam me into buying a phone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:39 pm 

Zeos wrote:
Netgems wrote:
TECNOVILLALOBOS CR

There are many many locations where you can get a Claro, Kolbi, or Liberty (Movistar) sim cards. Almost all cell phone repair or sales places, plus the company stores on Avenida Central and many other places. Same process as far as I know. I have Claro, have had Kolbi, and others (as above) Movistar. I like the bigger company stores, less likely to get BS. I had one guy that said my phone was locked and I would need to buy a phone from him to get a costa rica SIM. Scam. After considerable trouble I found that my phone was actually not locked, and he was just trying to scam me into buying a phone.

I've used these guys for years and they are honest, plus they're right downtown and anyone can get hooked up fast and walk out without having unloaded their credit card to load their cell phone, and they can fix any problem cheap and usually fast, so I just like the special attention and fast in and out, but you're right, there's a dozen places up and down Avenida Central and a Movistar/ Liberty on avenida 2.

Last edited by Netgems on Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:43 pm 

Netgems wrote:
Zeos wrote:
Netgems wrote:
TECNOVILLALOBOS CR

Scamming, lying and stealing from Gringos and each other is the national past time here, if you're a Tico or Tica and DON'T DO IT, you bring great shame on your family and are banned from your barrio, but I've used these guys for years and they are honest, plus they're right downtown and anyone can get hooked up fast and walk out without having unloaded their credit card to load their cell phone, lol. :mrgreen:

Just make sure you tell them Netgems sent you so that he gets his commission.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:09 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Netgems wrote:
Zeos wrote:

I've used these guys for years and they are honest, plus they're right downtown and anyone can get hooked up fast and walk out without having unloaded their credit card to load their cell phone, lol. :mrgreen:

Just make sure you tell them Netgems sent you so that he gets his commission.

My standard fee is a Sportsman's fish sandwich, but in tough inflationary times, I'll go down to a French pastry... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:12 pm 

I ended up going to a small tienda with a Claro sign out front and bought a chip for 500 clones. I was shocked at the low price but the girl said that yes 500 colones was indeed the full price. She helped me activate it by talking to a Claro agent on the phone who wanted my Passport info and email address. Sure enough the phone got activated with CR tel number and data. For only 500 colones!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:44 am 

[
Quote:
quote]My standard fee is a Sportsman's fish sandwich, but in tough inflationary times, I'll go down to a French pastry... 8)

Finally had 1 of your oft-reccomended sl fish sandwiches the other night. I will say it was quite good & was loaded with fish! I guess every blind squirrel......