www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:34 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Heading down in a few weeks. I know that travel insurance is not required any longer, but it is a good idea to have in light of the continued stupid US policy of a negative predeparture covid test.
Having to stay an extra week of whatever it is for a positive test could get expensive.
Can anyone recommend a good travel insurance of reasonable price?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:14 pm 

I still get the insurance as the cost is pretty small against a ot of potentially large expenses. I have always used Trawick International. The price has been good and they are underwritten by Nationwide Insurance. The online process to get the insurance is fast and simple. Be sure to select a plan that specially covers covid expenses for delayed travel. Some of the plans do not cover those expenses.

I can't comment good or bad on how they are at paying claims because, luckily I have yet to need to file one.

I would be prepared to pay your medical and lodging costs up front and file a claim to recover.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:42 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I've continued to use Sagicor, mostly out of inertia. I come down to San Jose nearly every month, so the process of buying insurance became second nature. I think it's a good enough value to not bother shopping around.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:56 pm 

No longer necessary with the covid return testing policy halted. Good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:20 pm 

It may not be required but for me I still find it necessary. My US health insurance will cover very little internationally if I have some sort of accident or have any health problems. The price of the travel policies are dirt cheap and give me peace of mind. Even before Covid, I have always tried to take out a travel policy whenever I leave the country.

I few years ago I ran into a guy at the Sportsmens that had accidentally stepped into one of the many sidewalk potholes that are so prevalent in San Jose. He ended up with a serious ankle fracture and it took a couple of surgeries to fix. His medical bills were more than I would want to pay.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:06 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I still buy Trawick, I was happy when they CR dropped it for being mandatory and considered not buying any Ins. however I have bought it every trip (3) since it was not mandatory and will continue to do so.
Being in my 40's it under $30 for me on a 10 day trip considering I'm hard pounding Puta's for 10 days straight and my Cigna health coverage thru my employer does not provide lots of international coverage certainly does not cover Covid and it's still spreading everywhere.
it's such a easy decision for me at such a minimal cost to buy, but It's worth checking out the cost at least.