www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:23 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I'll be coming back to the US next Monday and was wondering if anybody had used the at home test kits to fulfill the 24 hour Covid testing requirements to get back into the US from Costa Rica?
I will be travelling back on Southwest and was wondering if anybody has tried this method yet.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:32 am 

Never mind, I should have looked this up earlier.
From reading the CDC requirements it looks theoretically possible but involves a lot of added effort.....

The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) OR the relevant national authority where the test is administered.
The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
The telehealth provider must confirm your identity, observe the sample collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm your identity and the test result details. You must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:46 am 

I've used the Binax NOW tests purchased from eMed. Self-test kits need to be proctored. The eMed tests work OK with one caveat, which is the time is reported in UTC. This sometimes causes hiccups when uploading the results to an airline's automated documentation verification system. Otherwise they've worked OK for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:50 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Rainman wrote:
I'll be coming back to the US next Monday and was wondering if anybody had used the at home test kits to fulfill the 24 hour Covid testing requirements to get back into the US from Costa Rica?
I will be travelling back on Southwest and was wondering if anybody has tried this method yet.

Testing in San jose was so easy, took Uber to hospital Biblica, had test in 5 minutes, results within a couple of hours in my email. Around 40 or 50 dollars (I think it was 24 mil colones for antigen test for a flight).

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:30 am 

Thanks, I think that is the way I'm going to do it as well. I just happened to have an at home test laying around and I thought....hmmm..... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:10 pm 

One quick question, I assume they are used to dealing with tourists with limited Spanish capability?
I can get around with basic Spanish but that's about it.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:12 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

An important distinction in BinaxNOW is Self Test or Home Test. Self Test is what the government gave out for free. They are not packaged for online verification.

To use an online service for verification such as eMed suitable for flying back to the US you need the Home Test. Home Tests are typically sold including the online service. They have packaging the online supervisor can verify against tampering.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:18 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Rainman wrote:
One quick question, I assume they are used to dealing with tourists with limited Spanish capability?
I can get around with basic Spanish but that's about it.
Right now the only people getting tests are tourist flying back to the US. They are very used to dealing with tourists with limited or no Spanish

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:47 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I have done this 3 times now and every time the proctor spoke fluent English and there were no issues

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:54 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

This is the outfit I use and I can tell you honestly I am really happy with the whole process.

https://store.optum.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:53 pm 

Thanks everybody for your help!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:34 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Check to see if your hotel is offering testing or can coordinate. When I was there in December, Castillo/Amistad had a lab service come in every weekday morning and do testing. Got tested Thursday morning, got the results by email a couple of hours later, and just had to show the email when checking in for the return flight on Friday.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:02 pm 

Castillo also covers half of the test cost if you have the all inclusive. The cost of the test after the rebate ended up being somewhere around 30 or 35 dollars.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:11 pm 

The antigen test you are all describing is the shallower nasal swab and not the brain scraping one from the early days of the pandemic, correct?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 6:19 pm 

Haywood Jablommi wrote:
The antigen test you are all describing is the shallower nasal swab and not the brain scraping one from the early days of the pandemic, correct?

Obtaining a good sample should be the same with any of the tests. Whether the technique has changed is a different matter... all I know is that all my tests have been similar whether antigen or PCR. And while slightly uncomfortable they are not anything that bad.