www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:11 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Unless my information is out of date, a $60,000 deposit in a CR approved institution will serve if you don't qualify for pensionado status or have $2400/month provable income.

Has anybody ever gone this route? I'm curious to know if the deposit can be in dollars, and if you draw any interest on it.

Also any other "gotchas" or fine print that I might want to consider.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:12 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Bookie wrote:
Unless my information is out of date, a $60,000 deposit in a CR approved institution will serve if you don't qualify for pensionado status or have $2400/month provable income.

Has anybody ever gone this route? I'm curious to know if the deposit can be in dollars, and if you draw any interest on it.

Also any other "gotchas" or fine print that I might want to consider.

That is rentista status. From when I researched it in 2018.
1. You have to actually take draws of $2500 each month and show your withdrawl receipts. (Crazy, but that was the rule, you can turn around and re-deposit the money if you like. The rationale is that you are using the funds to pay rent and living expenses.)
2. Deposit can be in dollars or colones and can be in an interest bearing account.
3. Your CAJA payment will be based on $2500 each month. So depending on how the new regs are implemented, either 10% or 18%.($250 or $450)
4. At the end of 2 years, you have to renew your residency and show a refreshed balance of $60,000. You have to do this each time you renew.

I was able to show a lifetime guaranteed income of $1,000 per month, so I filed as a pensionado and my CAJA is around $100 per month.

Last edited by Boynton on Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:55 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I am going through that process right now - Rentista.

$2500/m for 2 years = $60k. You do get to keep the interest, but it must be in a Costa Rican bank which charges for managing the "trust". The "trust" only allows you to draw the $2500/mo (unless you "break it"). Different banks accomplish it different ways. One bank opened up 24 individual CDs, each with it's own maturity date.

My attorney suggested using a second CR bank to transfer the monthly draw into so that at the end of 2 years, I would have the $60k set aside for the second 2 years. I have a friend following this pattern.

I went another way and found a US CPA that would certify that I had the income/assets to meet the requirements and provided an apostilled document to that affect.