www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:57 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Planning a trip to San Jose in June. Does anyone have experience with any companies providing expedited customs service so we don't have to wait in line at customs? Please advise as to the name of the company you used, how much they charged and whether it was worth it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:32 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

When entering SJO the lane furthest to the right for foreigners is a some sort of a Special entry line that I mainly only notice older folks in wheelchairs and handicap people use, so if that's what you referring too I would ask you airline for that assistance.

I have no idea how to obtain access otherwise to this line, I did see a Women's soccer team use same line last trip as I anxiously awaited 70 minutes and my turn to front

Maybe someone else had experience using this lane.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:04 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I used the line once when our flight to DFW canceled and everyone had to re-enter the country. Everyone just waved their passport at the officer and we marched to a bus that took us to our hotel for the night. Otherwise, I've only seen people needing assistance using that line.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:16 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

dsanders11 wrote:
Planning a trip to San Jose in June. Does anyone have experience with any companies providing expedited customs service so we don't have to wait in line at customs? Please advise as to the name of the company you used, how much they charged and whether it was worth it. Thanks.

I've never had to deal with customs on arrival...only immigration. There used to be questions on the form, but with the online form I don't recall any. If you are bringing in goods that will be staying in the country I presume they have some way of spotting you and directing you to the appropriate place.

Check the airport website would be my suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:18 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

The terms Customs and Immigration are often used interchangeably but are different functions. And you go through them in reverse order to how they are always referred.

Immigration is always first. This is determining if they will allow the person to enter the country. This is where the long line to the booths are in CR. The stamp in your passport is allowing the person to enter.

After the person is allowed to enter, Customs is about any goods they are carrying and should they be allowed to enter. Or allowed after being taxed. Since this is about all your goods you go through Customs with all your baggage. This is the x-ray machine after baggage claim in CR. You go through Customs every time, you just never had anything of concern.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:47 pm 

The right hand lane is for flight crews, disabled, elderly, and pregnant women, not entitled gringos who don't feel like they should have to wait in line.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:47 pm 

The original poster meant to ask if there is a way to pay a fee to get expedited through the immigration process. We did that three years ago in Bangkok and let me tell you that after 22 hours in the air , it was worth every baht.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:54 pm 

There are no companies that offer this. Guy

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:21 pm 

I arrived wednesday, got off the plane and walked right up to the immigration. She asked 2 questions, how long and where are you staying, got my stamp and off I went to the duty free. That line took longer than the immigration process.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:59 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

What time did you land? Early morning?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:59 am 

SleepyJay wrote:

445pm on a Wednesday. Return trip today at 1145am and Same deal. 1 person ahead of me for immigration officer.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 5:36 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Milhouse7 wrote:
SleepyJay wrote:

445pm on a Wednesday. Return trip today at 1145am and Same deal. 1 person ahead of me for immigration officer.

Damn. Last time I went through was in December when Omicron was hitting, and at 30+ minutes it was still the shortest amount of time I've spent in line. IIRC it was around 3:30 on a Thursday. Taking the red-eye next month, so will see how things are early in the morning.