www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:50 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Maybe just maybe, How will this affect US citizens , IDK,

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... s-82632795

DALLAS -- Airline and tourism groups are pushing to eliminate the government requirement that international travelers provide a negative test for COVID-19 before boarding a U.S.-bound plane.

They believe the testing rule is discouraging people from booking international trips. They point to the United Kingdom, which eliminated a similar rule last month.

“Removing the requirement will greatly support the recovery of travel and aviation in the United States and globally without increasing the spread of COVID-19 and its variants,” they wrote.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:32 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

This is what I'm waiting for. I won't be flying anywhere internationally until this having to get a negative PCR test within 1 day of your return flight to the USA is removed. I'm eager to take a trip or two this year especially since I need to use my travel credit by the end of the year I got for my canceled vacation in 2020, but that PCR test requirement can stopping me. I'd never want to be in a position of having to stay an extra 2 weeks abroad that I didn't plan on because I tested positive the day before my flight or worst I miss my flight because the test came back inconclusive or was late so I couldn't board my flight home. Those scenarios aren't ideal and can lead to some very costly last minute issues to get resolved.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:29 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

All of the points are valid and I agree completely. I know two friends that had their vacation “extended” this month due to an asymptomatic positive test.

Just to clarify, a PCR test is not required to enter the US, an antigen test is sufficient and much easier to obtain within the one day time frame.

The isolation period after a positive test was originally two weeks. Currently if asymptomatic the isolation period is 5 days. That’s less than 25% of the original isolation time. Still not fun and to be avoided, but a little easier to deal with if imposed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:54 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Epidemiologists and medical professionals are trained to seek the goal of no infections. No where in their training do they consider the economic costs of their recommendations. If given authority to make final decisions they will always opt for harsh containment measures.

I hate to depend on politicians for anything, but we need someone with authority above the medical professionals to consider the bigger picture including economic damage when making policy. Politicians are sensitive to economic issues.

Pressure from travel groups is a good thing and can make a difference. Let’s hope they keep it up and can make a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:30 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

bulldog10 wrote:
The isolation period after a positive test was originally two weeks. Currently if asymptomatic the isolation period is 5 days. That’s less than 25% of the original isolation time. Still not fun and to be avoided, but a little easier to deal with if imposed.

This is from the US Embassy web site updated yesterday (2/25/2022)
"Please also note the recently revised CDC recommendation of a 5-day quarantine period is only applicable in the United States. It does not apply in Costa Rica. Only Costa Rica’s Ministry of Health has the authority to determine the length of quarantine for persons who test positive in Costa Rica."
https://cr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

The current quarantine period from the CR Ministry of Health is either 7 or 14 days. I have had two friends test positive (asymptomatic) since the beginning of the year (one Tico, one US tourist). Both were quarantined for 14 days. I have heard of some people getting 7 day quarantines, but nobody I personally know.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:18 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

And this 14 day quarantine is absolutely ridiculous in light of their relaxing the other Covid restrictions on April Fools Day. Looks like I'll be getting the expensive insurance again for my trip.