www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Omicron
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:31 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I'm planning a trip to CR, but ...

Average daily new cases of Covid in CR a bit before Christmas were less than 100. Today's count is apparently 6300.

So, for those fully vaccinated, and boosted - your chances of getting it are reduced, but not 0. Your chances of getting it and having a severe outcome are also reduced, but not 0. So the question is where would one want to be when you get it (and if you get it, which is reasonably likely).

For those who are not vaccinated, where do you want to get it, and where do you prefer being in hospital, if it comes to that.

It is almost certain that we all will be exposed to it, in spite of the best measures, as this spreads like wildfire and immunity from having had Covid before, or from vaccines, is quite limited.

Post subject: Re: Omicron
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:55 pm 

Zeos wrote:
I'm planning a trip to CR, but ...

Average daily new cases of Covid in CR a bit before Christmas were less than 100. Today's count is apparently 6300.

So, for those fully vaccinated, and boosted - your chances of getting it are reduced, but not 0. Your chances of getting it and having a severe outcome are also reduced, but not 0. So the question is where would one want to be when you get it (and if you get it, which is reasonably likely).

For those who are not vaccinated, where do you want to get it, and where do you prefer being in hospital, if it comes to that.

It is almost certain that we all will be exposed to it, in spite of the best measures, as this spreads like wildfire and immunity from having had Covid before, or from vaccines, is quite limited.

Being triple vaccinated, not so worried about getting sick, just worried that if I test positive on the day before flying back, will have to be quarantined. Of course I will get insurance, just don't want to be stuck in my room for how many days until I test negative and get a doc's certificate releasing me.
You can only watch so much CNN before you start babbling to yourself. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:08 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Zeos, the subject of Omicron vs. trip planning is appreciated. My trip is planned Feb 11 to 17 and was scheduled when Omicron was still in Africa. I did buy United travel insurance in the event I cancel. United did not permit free date changes past December 2021 for economy class.

Ofcourse if Omicron were to hospitalize us, it would be preferable to be in the good old USA. Being fully vaxed I still buy trip insurance in event of the worst happening. I bought N95 masks and am surprised how much better they seal your face. The 95 designates filtering 95% of contaminants out. I expect this mask will cut my risk at the airport and on the plane.

I am most likely to be infected by a chica during my 6 day stay. It takes 2 to 14 days to become infected with the median being 5 days. The rapid test often does not detect Omicron the first few days. So using my little head to work out the math, I should arrive back in the USA safe with or without Omicron.

It would be nice to know if the Amistad is still available to quarantine.

Last edited by GFO on Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:24 pm 

GFO wrote:
Zeos, the subject of Omicron vs. trip planning is appreciated. My trip is planned Feb 11 to 17 and was scheduled when Omicron was still in Africa. I did buy United travel insurance in the event I cancel. United did not permit free date changes past December 2021 for economy class.

Ofcourse if Omicron were to hospitalize us, it would be preferable to be in the good old USA. Being fully vaxed I still buy trip insurance in event of the worst happening. I bought N95 masks and am surprised how much better they seal your face. The 95 designates filtering 95% of contaminants out. I expect this mask will cut my risk at the airport and on the plane.

I am most likely to be infected by a chica during my 6 day stay. It takes 2 to 14 days to become infected with the median being 5 days. The rapid often does not detect Omicron the first few days. So using my little head to work out the math, I should arrive back in the USA safe with or without Omicron.

I have several friends who have gone to Mexico in the last few days who were tested at their all inclusive resort. All were negative, and they said the swab barely went in their nostrils, not into their cranium. Their take was that the resort didn't want to foot the bill for quarantining them when they had more paying guests coming in.
Viva Mexico, but unfortunately it's not Costa Rica.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:30 pm 

Jawanker wrote:

There is always Rosa de Guadalupe, and I do mean ALWAYS.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:26 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Jawanker wrote:

There is always Rosa de Guadalupe, and I do mean ALWAYS.

Yes I have watched that, cute Mexican chicas, but so much drama!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:53 pm 

GFO wrote:

I am most likely to be infected by a chica during my 6 day stay. It takes 2 to 14 days to become infected with the median being 5 days. The rapid test often does not detect Omicron the first few days. So using my little head to work out the math, I should arrive back in the USA safe with or without Omicron.

I think any of the main places could set you up for the quarantine. Not so worried about that really. But I plan on staying in an apartment or Airbnb...so that could be problematic.

I just think that everything is going to be a shitshow for a while when this thing peaks. I looked at some of the math on it, and the best guess is that it will spike really high and then drop pretty fast once it's basically hit everyone that is at all vulnerable to it...which is dam near everyone. How many get seriously sick probably depends on vaccination or unvaccinated, other health issues, age, etc. But a week or two after the peak of infections will be the peak of hospitalizations, etc. I'm thinking I may be better at home where I can hibernate through those critical two or three weeks.

And as far as the days to infection...I think with Omicron it is a less, average around 3 or 4 days from exposure, and seldom over 5 or 6. Plus the period of being contagious is generally less, from 2 days before to a day possibly after symptoms. But all that is a bit uncertain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:39 am 

Thanks Z, owe you a beer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:18 am 

I would imagine that any of the gulch hotels would allow you to quarantine there if and only if they had available rooms. For the time I am going to be there, end of January, it is getting dangerously close to the Superbowl. Rooms will be difficult to find.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:27 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I'm going February 26th thru March 6th. I'm hoping Omicron will have peaked and declined by then, and at 6300 new cases in one day, that's already more than they ever got in one day with Delta, so I expect a peak very soon.

I am fully vaxxed and boosted, so I'm not to much worried about getting really sick, but I don't how my boss will take it if I have to tell him I quarantine for a extra week there. On the other hand, he can't really say much since I'd have to quarantine the same amount of time if I caught it in Houston. And personally, from what I observe in the grocery store, at restaurants, watching football on TV, etc., I feel like I'm more likely to catch it here anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:54 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Well I'm not making any mongering plans till I hear more about Omicron from the experts, especially Fauci.

They haven't been wrong yet, except for the "vaccines are going to get us out of this pandemic" part. But besides that, they been right on the money.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:04 pm 

I heard that if you get 4th and 5th boosters, your dick will grow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:06 pm 

If I were to get sic, I would definitely prefer to be in a 3rd world country myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:39 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Orange wrote:
I heard that if you get 4th and 5th boosters, your dick will grow.

It would probably be worth getting the boosters since having Covid makes your dick shrink.
https://www.the-sun.com/health/4445676/ ... permanent/

Covid toe is bad enough but the last thing you want is to be walking around the gulch with Covid dick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:33 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Just finished planning my next mongering trip for the spring of 2030. I'm trying to time it right after the winter Omega variant surge and hotel Del Reys grand reopening.

It should be right after my 18th booster shot, and from the above reports, I probably should have increased to a six inch pecker by then.