www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RIP: Blue Devil
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:48 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

It is being reported on ISOC that Blue Devil , who was a long time regular on this site, passed away recently. He had relocated to Medellin and got married a number of years ago. May he RIP. A link to ISOC is below.

https://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum ... Blue-Devil

Post subject: Re: RIP: Blue Devil
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:08 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

may he r.i.p.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:35 pm 

RIP BD - had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times in Medellin, but hadn't seen him for several years. Had no idea he was ill.

So many decent dudes gone. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:19 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
I wish I knew him. Perhaps I saw him around the gulch or even in Meddie.

R.I.P. dear Sir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:20 pm 

Sorry to hear that. He was a nice guy. Originally from NJ I think, but married an older Colombian and moved to Colombia about 13-15 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:38 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

RIP. He helped answer many questions back in the day when I was green behind the ears....thank you pal.

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No advice, tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:29 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I never met him in person.. but I posted some time back about balancing my time between the 'action' and the real beauty of the country and the real people of CR. He responded (back then) letting me know that I was on the right track. I know that we all truly love our shared hobby.. but sometimes I think that the friends we make along the way, is one of the best things about it. RIP Blue Devil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:54 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

So sorry to hear this sad news. He was a nice guy with a laid back, friendly personality. Easy to get along with and always happy to be a resource about things Colombia for fellow travelers. At one time he was mayor of his small town on the NJ shore and also overcame a very serious health issue.

While exploring Colombia he met a paisa who was a bit older and closer to his age. They hit it off, got married, and settled down in Medellin. It must have seemed like a new lease on life.

I met Curt shortly after I started going to Medellin. Whenever I came to town I would get in touch with him and if he was around I would get together with him and his wife. He seemed happy and enjoying himself. He spoke German also and when he lived in Sabaneta he volunteered to teach classes at the local library for a while. He traveled quite a bit with the Mrs all over South America and other countries.

After living in various places in the city he eventually moved out of Medellin proper and got a house up in the countryside, close to the airport. Unfortunately, as the distance made it more difficult to get together, we eventually lost contact. The last I heard from him was a text message exchange several years ago when I was in Medellin, prior to the pandemic.

In retrospect he was one of the very few of us that I know or heard of that had a happy, successful, long term relationship with someone from Colombia or CR. He seemed happy and content with the life he had made for himself down there.

R.I.P. Curt. I'm glad I knew you and I hope that when all is said and done my final chapter turns out as good for me as yours did for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:18 pm 

Today I received confirmation that Curt passed a few days before Christmas after experiencing some heart issues.

He was one of the early members here on CRT and when we had a photo gallery he would post many of his pics travelling the country. He even climbed Cerro Chirripo, Costa Rica's tallest non volcanic peak. In my early days here at CRT his pics and posts kindled an interest in me of seeing more of CR than just the Gulch.

I did not actually meet him in person until I shifted my interest from CR to Medellin, where he was one of the first CRTers to settle there in the late 2000s. His friendship and advice was invaluable to me to get to know and get settled in Colombia. He loved to explore and was always visiting pueblos and countryside villages around Medellin, even in early days when it wasn't totally safe for a foreigner to do so. Blue Devil was quite a prolific poster here - over 4000 posts since 2004. He was always willing to share info, give advice and direction and his previous posts contain a wealth of travel information.

I had a similar experience to Skosh who reported above that he lost contact with Curt after he moved to the countryside. I too hadn't seen him in a few years and aside from the occasional fb message and I now feel a little pissed off at myself for not making more of an effort to reaching out.

RIP Blue Devil !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:04 am 

Damn. I met him a couple of times. Super nice guy.

Sigh.

RIP Curt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:49 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Loco Mike wrote:
It is being reported on ISOC that Blue Devil , who was a long time regular on this site, passed away recently. He had relocated to Medellin and got married a number of years ago. May he RIP. A link to ISOC is below.

https://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum ... Blue-Devil

This was the first time I had heard about ISOC. I joined that forum, and looked around, but I could not find any current useful information. Is it old and almost dead, or a scam?