www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Phone recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:22 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

First trip to CR 12/27, coming from USA where I have Verizon. I see different opinions on the phone issue..Claro, Google Fi, or I can pay Verizon for their roaming. I have WhatsApp and will use that mainly.

Any recommendations from someone who's been recently on what the best options are. I will be there 6 days, would prefer not to mess with getting another phone, but of course want to be able to stay in communication with home and more importantly, the ladies.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:27 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Cheap burner phone with a local SIM (Kolbi or Claro). Depending on your flight arrival time, the Claro booth at baggage claim is easiest. A base package should cost you about $20 that will cover your needs for a week. An unlocked burner phone, about $100 on Amazon. Download, setup and practice using Google Translate, Waze, Uber, WhatApp, Telegram, and Music Playlists. Learn how to send a location via WhatsApp. You will need to re-authorize the apps once you have the local SIM.

Do NOT use your normal cell phone. Make dummy social media accounts without recognizable pictures, keep your contact lists separate. Your normal cell phone is WAY TOO integrated into your regular life.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:05 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Excellent, thank you Boynton!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:09 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Another argument for having a burner phone is my regular iPhone can get locked in a safe along with my regular wallet.

I'm not gonna stress if a chica wants to steal a 5 year old Pixel 2 I bought off backmarket for $80 or a moneyclip with a cien and maybe a propina in it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:01 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

rusty_venture wrote:
Another argument for having a burner phone is my regular iPhone can get locked in a safe along with my regular wallet.

I'm not gonna stress if a chica wants to steal a 5 year old Pixel 2 I bought off backmarket for $80 or a moneyclip with a cien and maybe a propina in it.

Excellent. I've got the cheap burner on order from Amazon, and I'll stop at Claro and get a SIM card on arrival.
Thanks all!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:58 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

You might check into Tmobile and let them know that you are seeking it to work in Costa Rica. This is for sending and receiving US based calls as well as data and voicemail from the US. In addition, with my Tmobile data working in CR, I can use Whatsapp to make CR calls just as if I were in the US. The chicas (and CR based friends you make) can also call you on Whatsapp whether you are in CR or the US.

Is low self esteem a prerequisite for being a good Ho or is it a result? ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:01 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I user airalo esim and you can buy 1 gb, 3gb or 5 gb. You can top up. It is data only and it uses claro. I just used it and it was pretty good in San Jose , I used for u er and Whatsapp.