www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:34 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

On Fox News Chanel they said illegal immigrants are coming through CR on the way to USA because Mr. Biden is letting them all in. IF this is true are they causing any problems like blocking traffic on the roads or spreading Covid?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:07 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

floridajohny wrote:
On Fox News Chanel they said illegal immigrants are coming through CR on the way to USA because Mr. Biden is letting them all in. IF this is true are they causing any problems like blocking traffic on the roads or spreading Covid?

What you are visualizing is not very probable. First of all, if you are referring to the typical would be immigrants they are coming from countries that are already closer to the US, such as Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, etc. and if they are in Costa Rica they are going the wrong direction.

More recently there have been Haitians going to various countries maybe including Costa Rica, where they can enter without special visas. They then are trying to go to the US. But I doubt that they are planning on walking from there, and especially from Colombia where many have gone. I doubt that there are any big groups of them that would be on the roads or anything like that. And as for spreading Covid...far more likely to be happening in the US, so I wouldn't be worried about would be immigrants. Just go to Florida. The would be immigrants should be worried about going into the US because of Covid, not the other way around.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:33 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

It happened more pre-COVID than it does now, although it was never anything close to the numbers coming out of Nicaragua or El Salvador. Panama had fairly lenient entry requirements for people from the Caribbean and then they would make their way north. I know a cute young Cubanita that I met in Panama City who made her way through Costa Rica, up north into Mexico, then crossed the border as a refugee into Texas. She's now living in Newark. So yeah, it happens, but it's not a flood by any means.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:27 pm 

Zeos wrote:
floridajohny wrote:

What you are visualizing is not very probable. First of all, if you are referring to the typical would be immigrants they are coming from countries that are already closer to the US, such as Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, etc. and if they are in Costa Rica they are going the wrong direction.

... And as for spreading Covid...far more likely to be happening in the US, so I wouldn't be worried about would be immigrants. Just go to Florida. The would be immigrants should be worried about going into the US because of Covid, not the other way around.
Here is a link from npr (definitely not a Republican friendly publication) about Haitian migrants in Colombian heading to the US. https://www.npr.org/2021/09/27/10408299 ... u-s-border. "Nearly 20,000 Haitians, who are on their way to the United States, are now holed up in Necoclí, forming a human bottleneck even bigger than the recent migrant logjams on the U.S.-Mexican border."
Also, the people in Florida don't need any advice from a liberal Canadian. We are doing well with Covid. Currently, approximately 3 percent of the people in Florida have Covid. According to NBC News in August, 18 percent of migrants released into the US had Covid. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... e-n1276244

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:28 pm 

GoodDayJohn wrote:
Zeos wrote:
floridajohny wrote:

... And as for spreading Covid...far more likely to be happening in the US, so I wouldn't be worried about would be immigrants. Just go to Florida. The would be immigrants should be worried about going into the US because of Covid, not the other way around.
Here is a link from npr (definitely not a Republican friendly publication) about Haitian migrants in Colombian heading to the US. https://www.npr.org/2021/09/27/10408299 ... u-s-border. "Nearly 20,000 Haitians, who are on their way to the United States, are now holed up in Necoclí, forming a human bottleneck even bigger than the recent migrant logjams on the U.S.-Mexican border."
Also, the people in Florida don't need any advice from a liberal Canadian. We are doing well with Covid. Currently, approximately 3 percent of the people in Florida have Covid. According to NBC News in August, 18 percent of migrants released into the US had Covid. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... e-n1276244

I am aware of the Haitians in Colombia...but my point is that they won't be blocking roads in Costa Rica any time soon. As for liberal Canadian...I'm not...liberal that is.

As for Covid in Florida and in migrants... the central american migrants at some point probably did have lots of Covid. And so does Florida.

I am a bit sensitive about the anti-vax and anti public health measures people. My brother in law died of Covid last Monday night... anti-vax victim. I wish I could have talked to him about it when there was time...but I never had the chance. And he probably would not have gotten a vaccination anyway. But I have no doubt he would have survived Covid had he been vaccinated. His buddies and lots in the area are big into anti-vax stuff...too late now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:46 pm 

[/quote]

I am a bit sensitive about the anti-vax and anti public health measures people. My brother in law died of Covid last Monday night... anti-vax victim. I wish I could have talked to him about it when there was time...but I never had the chance. And he probably would not have gotten a vaccination anyway. But I have no doubt he would have survived Covid had he been vaccinated. His buddies and lots in the area are big into anti-vax stuff...too late now.[/quote]

I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Very painful that it was preventable. May his soul rest and you find solace.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:48 pm 

floridajohny wrote:

You are getting information about immigration from Fox news? :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:39 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Here is a recent report of human smuggling operations that were busted about two weeks ago

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 021-09-22/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:10 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

They are on their way.
https://www.breitbart.com/border/2021/0 ... ng-to-u-s/

If you have a welfare state with open borders, it can only stay solvent for so long.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:33 am 

GoodDayJohn wrote:
[
Also, the people in Florida don't need any advice from a liberal Canadian. We are doing well with Covid.

As a Floridian, I can say the Canadian is right and you are wrong on this particular issue. Although Florida's COVID caseload is trending sharply down in the last few weeks, a few weeks ago we had over 20K new Covid cases PER DAY. Not to mention a huge number of people in Florida act as if the pandemic was over, no need to mask up or social distance, and let's not even mention the anti vaxxers!

This is a thread that already started badly and will only go downhill. Politics + idealogy + FauxNews + alternative "facts" are always a toxic mix.

I'd suggest we keep the discussion in scope with CRT's favorite topic - women in Costa Rica.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:53 am 

Hank Daman wrote:
I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Very painful that it was preventable. May his soul rest and you find solace.

Miamiheller wrote:
I'd suggest we keep the discussion in scope with CRT's favorite topic - women in Costa Rica.

I echo both these sentiments.

To respond to the OP's original post, there are no discernable impacts of immigration here. No protests, no roadblocks. Vaccination continues with the local population.

Plenty of warm, inviting arms waiting when the time is right for you to come get away from the North American rat race and media bombardment. Local TV does not even run Fox or MSNBC. Come down for a week, avoid US politics, news, and culture. Let your mind and body relax. Be aware that airfares will spike around Thanksgiving and between mid-December and mid-January.

BTW, Air Canada resumes flights from Toronto to SJO on October 13.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:54 am 

I confess not to know, but I read many of the Costa Rica news outlets on the web, I don't see a single story about massive waves of any immigrants coming through the country.

If thousands of people were to burst into Costa Rica headed north from Panama, it would be major news.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:02 pm 

Hank Daman wrote:
floridajohny wrote:

You are getting information about immigration from Fox news? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cute, but stupid.

Let's all keep politics out of our site...

I understand people strident about their leftist political views desperately try to dismiss Fox News, often they confuse the opinions of the myriad of conservative commentators with the real news reporters who I have observed do an excellent job (as per their ratings) exposing hypocrisy of those with those views, and more often than not have evidence and facts to back up their claims.

I say truly intelligent people watch all sorts of news sources, left and right leaning, and if lucky, try to find some just doing an honest job of reporting the news, to get all opinions and diverse viewpoints on any subject, and do their best to gleam reality from whichever one has evidence, not opinions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:19 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
I am very sorry to hear about your brother in law Zeos.

Over the weekend the Director of our Parks Dept. in a town north of DAL passed away due to complications from CV19. This after a lengthy hospital stay (nearly 2 months). Looking at his LinkedIn he was in his early 50s. I'm thinking he chose not to receive the vax but is all our own choice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:22 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
On this topic I wanted to ask if any of you know of any Costa Ricans that have recently made the land trek to immigrate into the U.S.?

Is it better to be poor but happy living in Pura Vida or make that money in U.S. but pay a whole lot more for housing and live in a rat race?