www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:37 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Looking for recommendation for driver to go from airport to SJO. I have already contacted the highly recommended Vanessa but she is not sure if she will be available. Any other great recommendations?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:50 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Take an Uber. 8 mil.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:41 pm 

Uber can be a problem, they may not be allowed to come to the arrivals gate.
Since you are a newbie, play it safe and take a taxi from the booth located just inside the terminal after you exit customs. They accept credit cards and you can pay in dollars or colones. Cost is about $30 to you hotel in San Jose.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:57 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Yeah I could not get any of the Uber drivers to come to the designated point at departures when I arrived in July. 1 finally told me to meet him at the bus stop outside the airport. This is fine if you have light luggage and can walk down there but not ideal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:41 pm 

Take the bus..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:12 am 

The bus is a better option than Uber. The red taxis are ripoffs, especially when they find out you are new and here for pu*sy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:23 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

As was mentioned above, especially if you are new…take an “Orange” taxi…..they are the authorized taxi service for the airport. Yes, it may cost you $30-40$ but trust me the last thing you need at the start of your trip is any type of funny business…you have all your money on you, passport, etc….it’s not worth negotiating with a red taxi “rojo” or worse yet a “pirata” to save $10 when god knows what can happen…there will be more than enough chicas trying to scam you out of your money once you settle in later on in San Jose :)) Plus on the return trip to the airport you can always take an Uber..it’s a lot easier getting dropped off than picked up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:10 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Depending on where you are staying, just book your ride through your hotel.

I just stayed at the SL and arranged transport through them. On arrival, Oscar was waiting out front with a sign with name. Maybe some peace of mind for a newbie. Cost was $30 plus tip.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:23 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Fieldtech wrote:
Depending on where you are staying, just book your ride through your hotel.

I just stayed at the SL and arranged transport through them. On arrival, Oscar was waiting out front with a sign with name. Maybe some peace of mind for a newbie. Cost was $30 plus tip.

Good point, I used the SL driver the first 4 times and he always had a cooler of drinks with him. Was nice to grab a beer on the ride to SL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:07 pm 

I just get an official taxi. They need to make a living and in my numerous trips I have never had a bad experience or been overcharged. If I were on a tight budget I would opt for an alternative. But I go there to vacation and not to save money.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:41 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

You could ask the hotel you are staying at how much it would cost for them to send there licensed tourist driver in a mini van that says Tourismo. He could meet you near the Taxi stand at the airport holding up a sighn with your name on it. That's what I have the Sportsman's Lodge do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:19 am 

I recommend Oscar who is affiliated with SL. As a previous poster stated, it is not worth risking all your stuff at the beginning of a vacation in order to save a few bucks. I have used Oscar many times variety of trips.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:31 am 

On my last stay at the SL I booked a pick-up ride from the airport to hotel. They did not show. I called 2 days prior to my trip to confirm pick-up (for a fee), told not to worry. When I got to the SL and asked what happened to my scheduled pick-up, all I got was a big "oops". Been using Orange Cab since then with no problems.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:50 am 

I always ask for Oscar then back the request up with a WhatsApp to Oscar. Always prompt and will stop on the way while I pick up up some essentials. Never had a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:54 am 

If you are an infrequent tourist (less than 6 visits a year) and on vacation, you likely overpacked. You will be approached as soon as you exit the baggage claim area, before exiting the building, by people arranging rides via licensed airport taxis (Orange Cab). It will not be the last time you overpay for something. After that, use Uber for everything else. It works pretty much the same worldwide making it one less application to learn, focus those brain cells on experiencing the adventure.

After your sixth visit, experiment if you want. There is no BEST driver and no BEST method. Where are you staying? How much luggage are you carrying? What are the traffic and weather conditions? Public bus might be cheapest, but dragging matching Rimowa checked bag, carry on and laptop at 4pm on a Friday in September, it is arguably not the BEST.