www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:34 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I went to San Jose Costa Rica at the end of June 2021 and there was a level for don't travel advisory and I went anyhow. I had been vaccinated before hand. Under USA law I had to take a covid test within 3 days of returning. I tested negative. You could pay to have a medical person come out to the lodge and test you. She would be there at about 10:00 AM Monday-Saturday. there were about 3 or 4 people lined up. I got mine Friday morning. Got a negative paper work back Saturday at the lodge and flew away Sunday. :D :D

I also went to the Volcanic Springs (Baldi) with a Tica I knew from before. I meat a new Tica also in San Jose.

I am really glad I went.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:13 pm 

Given USA projections at 200,000 new cases per day our chances of getting Covid are just as good in SJO. I choose to shelter in place at Hotel Castillo.

Exactly how does that 3 days prior work? I depart Tuesday 8/24. Is Saturday prior too soon to test? I am a little concerned results will be in only one day prior on Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:30 pm 

Saturday is the first day you can test for a Tuesday departure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:28 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I wouldn’t test at the earliest date in case your flight gets pushed. Results only take a few hours.
FYI HC has had zero positive tests as of a few weeks ago

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:42 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I got the rapid antigen test offered by the lab SL contracts with on a Saturday morning 2 weeks ago. We all got the negative test results back in about 3 hours, emailed to and printed by SL. We had to go to the lab to get tested since the one of the doctors was sick and the other doctor had to stay at the lab.

Five of us got into a SUV and were taken to the lab near the soccer stadium. We were in and out of the lab in under 20 minutes. The doctor was gentle on our nostrils. Cost was 30,000 colones and the same for the PCR test. We went with the rapid antigen test because there are fewer false positives. I am not sure if the ride was free or not but the driver was tipped well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:29 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

GFO wrote:
Given USA projections at 200,000 new cases per day our chances of getting Covid are just as good in SJO. I choose to shelter in place at Hotel Castillo.

Exactly how does that 3 days prior work? I depart Tuesday 8/24. Is Saturday prior too soon to test? I am a little concerned results will be in only one day prior on Monday.

Just let the front desk know of your departure date, and they will make arrangements for the lab to come to the Castillo to administer the test... the results will be sent to your email in a couple hours and I assume the results are linked to my passport and flight, as when i departed no one at SJO checked for my negative test results, and upon arrival in the US, no one asked...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:44 pm 

It means it just has to be within a three day window I believe. So that is within 72 hours of when your plane leaves. If you got tested 4 days before the flight left they would not accept it at the airport. You can get tested anytime within that 72 hours but make sure the lab can get you a copy of the results back in time before you leave to the airport. At the Sportsman's lodge they gave me a print out which I like. I do not trust having it on the phone to show them in case my phone malfunctions at the airport.

I am really glad I went. Staying at the lodge makes you feel like Hugh Hefner for 5 or 6 nights. :D
IN the USA you can be an average dude that most attractive women ignore but in the lodge you just show up and act reasonable and polite with the Ticas and you are all set. I already new a Tica from before. If I am meeting new ones I just by them a drink to see if they seem to have a reasonable personality. If they are really pushy I don't take them to my room. When I have hooked up with a pushy one I have always regretted it. The ones I have enjoyed the most let the men come to them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:53 pm 

This will be my first time staying at the Castillo. I am hoping the trip will be as memorable as SL.

I depart on Tuesday 8/24. Based on the article below from The Tico Times back in January per USA CDC I can test as early as Saturday 8/21. Which would minimize chances of testing positive having only been there 3 days.

What is your take on this article Floridajohny? I think it is still valid in explaining 3 days vs. 72 hours. I will check with the desk also at HC.

https://ticotimes.net/2021/02/22/fyi-u- ... e-travel-2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:38 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Are Ticas working now? "the Ticas and you are all set. I already new a Tica from before. "

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:40 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Just checked the CDC website. Requirements have not changed. Exact language is “CDC announced an Order requiring all air passengers arriving to the US from a foreign country to get tested no more than 3 days before their flight departs”