www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:01 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I landed around 7:30 and just got to my hotel. I had brought food with me on the airplane that I ate before landing. The airport did not have the usual crowds and the flight had maybe 30 people on it. It took 5 minutes to clear the customs and immigration. I didn't bother getting food at the airport as originally planned.

I'm told that the curfew will go back to the previous hours of 11:00. Also, no more complete shut down for next week. Not sure if my information is correct.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:06 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Lollypop54 wrote:
I landed around 7:30 and just got to my hotel. I had brought food with me on the airplane that I ate before landing. The airport did not have the usual crowds and the flight had maybe 30 people on it. It took 5 minutes to clear the customs and immigration. I didn't bother getting food at the airport as originally planned.

I'm told that the curfew will go back to the previous hours of 11:00. Also, no more complete shut down for next week. Not sure if my information is correct.

Curfew is kind of the wrong word. The restrictions are on driving. Unless the are exceptions driving is still not allowed between 9pm until 5am. Furthermore there are license plate (placa) restrictions. Based on the last number of the license there are days when cars cannot drive within the central valley. This is one week day and one weekend day.

What is ending is the total closure of different businesses (restaurants with in-person dining). Check TicoTimes or QCostaRica for articles.

There is also complete information in the VIP forums next to the map and photo gallery. (just kidding)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:12 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Lollypop54 wrote:

About Every business was open today. Monday and I assume the rest of the week

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 pm 

4Reel wrote:
Lollypop54 wrote:

About Every business was open today. Monday and I assume the rest of the week

Still no nightclubs (strippers or dancing)
Driving restriction remain with most businesses closing at 9pm nationwide (restaurants, Uber rides)
Bars limited to 50% capacity, hotels at 75%
This will reman at least until May 31.
The Carnival doesn't stop, it just changes locale 8)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_S ... val_(novel)

On a more serious note, the Government held meetings today. The health system wanted more restrictive measures given the stress on the medical system, however the R-rate has dropped from a post Semana Santa high of R-1.33 down to R-1.09 so the government only implemented cosmetic tightening of restrictions. If the R-rate continues that trend continues, things may loosen up more.

Just remember, the "powers that be" in CR do not like us, don't pull crazy shit in public and catch their bad mood.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:51 pm 

This morning on channel 7 the health minister is trying to get the president to close the airports again. I have a return trip planned in June and am holding my breath now

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:12 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I am staying in Pitahaya area near my dentist's office. I went to Central for lunch and wasn't surprised to see a lot less people on the street. For dinner, I went to KFC on Paseo Colon/Calle 32. Most restaurants and shops were either deserted or closed except fast-food places that had 10 to 12 people each.
I had to travel for my teeth otherwise this wasn't the week to come to Costa Rica and now I can say that with a lot of certainty.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:53 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Ilv4play wrote:
This morning on channel 7 the health minister is trying to get the president to close the airports again. I have a return trip planned in June and am holding my breath now

Holding my breath, too. I have been planning to make an extended trip to CR starting at the end of June. The CR news isn't looking good. Restrictions modified yesterday are articulated by the following article:

https://ticotimes.net/2021/05/10/costa- ... -hospitals

Costa Rica just bought a large amount of Pfizer vaccine, but they're not scheduled to receive it until July. That will undoubtedly help the upcoming high season starting in Q4, but that alone is not going to have much effect until at least mid-August and probably later (by the time it is distributed and people go through two rounds of shots plus the waiting period.) What is also very troublesome is that the CR medical system is now saturated, so if you do go to CR - even if you are fully-vaccinated and not afraid of covid - know that if you are accidentally injured or struck by sudden illness and need critical care, good luck.

For me, it has been a race between Costa Rica and Thailand for my tourist dollars. Costa Rica up to this point has at least stayed open. But Thailand, even though it is in a "third wave" (that is meager compared to other countries), appears to be poised to pull ahead of Costa Rica in speed of vaccinations. (Although it remains to be seen if the reality of vaccine distribution matches the Thai expectations.) And Thailand so far is sticking to its plan to reopen on October 1.

Add to all of this the high prices being asked in CR despite the situation along with the closures and restrictions, if things in Costa Rica do not improve much in the next 30 days or so, I may be canceling my summer trip and planning for Thailand in the fall instead. If for whatever reason that doesn't work, I'll kick the can further down the road. I have already postponed my CR trip twice.

Last edited by RicoGuapo on Tue May 11, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:39 am 

RicoGuapo wrote:
Ilv4play wrote:

Holding my breath, too. I have been planning to make an extended trip to CR starting at the end of June. The CR news isn't looking good.

Breathe dudes, breathe.

If you are unvaccinated, new to international travel AND new to p4p, it might make sense to delay your travel plans for a few months. Otherwise, don't over react to media reports.

For more seasoned travelers, it is time to work your contacts and remain flexible. Nothing has happened to reduce the supply of poon.

Here is my take on a few current issues:
Health System vs Commercial Sector in the time of COVID
The medical union and health ministry sense that one day there will be a reckoning. They are making it clear that they are not to blame for a situation they cannot control. They are calling for measures that the government cannot implement, and even ones that would make no sense. Air tourists are not the source of current infections. The commercial sector is not willing to be quietly choked out of existence. There are now nightly blockades and more private parties on the weekend than the police can close down. This is going to grind on throughout year. Lockdowns will not stop the virus, local business openings will not spark reactivation. The "answer" as far as there is one is US vaccinations and a slow return of US tourism. This will take time.

CR vaccinations changing the situation - Fugetaboutit
Only 3 vaccination centers nationwide have completed vaccinating their allotment of 58+ year olds. The medical centers are reporting huge numbers of people not showing up for their appointments. Carlos Alvarado (El Prez) plans to let nature take its course and let the virus do what viruses do. He hopes the country will reach herd immunity in Q4 of this year. For Ticos who want to be vaccinated and can afford it, his advice is to book a US vacation and get it there. No shit, that is his plan. Read CRHoy (free) or La Nacion (subscription).

If you think it is bad in CR, look at Veñelombia. Lockdowns, riots, and civil unrest. Thinking Thailand? Even tighter military rule, 24 hour flights.

All these locations will want your money, but not your presence. Of these locations, CR is still the most open and least dangerous. Open travel and cheap pu*sy may return, but not this year. Come to CR or buy hand lotion.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:47 pm 

Quote:
. Come to CR or buy hand lotion

u workin 4 the sjo chamber of commerce?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:41 am 

SinCity wrote:
Quote:
. Come to CR or buy hand lotion

u workin 4 the sjo chamber of commerce?

Nope, Lubriderm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:42 pm 

Boynton wrote:
RicoGuapo wrote:
Ilv4play wrote:

Holding my breath, too. I have been planning to make an extended trip to CR starting at the end of June. The CR news isn't looking good.

Breathe dudes, breathe.

If you are unvaccinated, new to international travel AND new to p4p, it might make sense to delay your travel plans for a few months. Otherwise, don't over react to media reports.

For more seasoned travelers, it is time to work your contacts and remain flexible. Nothing has happened to reduce the supply of poon.

The medical union and health ministry sense that one day there will be a reckoning. They are making it clear that they are not to blame for a situation they cannot control. They are calling for measures that the government cannot implement, and even ones that would make no sense. Air tourists are not the source of current infections. The commercial sector is not willing to be quietly choked out of existence. There are now nightly blockades and more private parties on the weekend than the police can close down. This is going to grind on throughout year. Lockdowns will not stop the virus, local business openings will not spark reactivation. The "answer" as far as there is one is US vaccinations and a slow return of US tourism. This will take time.

Only 3 vaccination centers nationwide have completed vaccinating their allotment of 58+ year olds. The medical centers are reporting huge numbers of people not showing up for their appointments. Carlos Alvarado (El Prez) plans to let nature take its course and let the virus do what viruses do. He hopes the country will reach herd immunity in Q4 of this year. For Ticos who want to be vaccinated and can afford it, his advice is to book a US vacation and get it there. No shit, that is his plan. Read CRHoy (free) or La Nacion (subscription).

If you think it is bad in CR, look at Veñelombia. Lockdowns, riots, and civil unrest. Thinking Thailand? Even tighter military rule, 24 hour flights.

All these locations will want your money, but not your presence. Of these locations, CR is still the most open and least dangerous. Open travel and cheap pu*sy may return, but not this year. Come to CR or buy hand lotion.[/quote]

You'll hate me for this, Boynton, and I'll deserve all you give me, but I can't resist. But I just have to add that one can also go to Tijuana. :-) It's pretty much wide open with few to no restrictions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:15 am 

Tony Camonte wrote:
Boynton wrote:
Breathe dudes, breathe.

All these locations will want your money, but not your presence. Of these locations, CR is still the most open and least dangerous. Open travel and cheap pu*sy may return, but not this year. Come to CR or buy hand lotion.

You'll hate me for this, Boynton, and I'll deserve all you give me, but I can't resist. But I just have to add that one can also go to Tijuana. :-) It's pretty much wide open with few to no restrictions.

No hate, I would expect nothing less (or more) from you :mrgreen: even when replying to a 9 month old post about the situation in May of last year? A lot has changed since then. Hell, we even have the imminent re-opening of the HDR Bar & Fried Chicken Shack.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:31 am 

Boynton wrote:
Tony Camonte wrote:
Boynton wrote:
Breathe dudes, breathe.

No hate, I would expect nothing less (or more) from you :mrgreen: even when replying to a 9 month old post about the situation in May of last year? A lot has changed since then. Hell, we even have the imminent re-opening of the HDR Bar & Fried Chicken Shack.

LOL. My bad. Seriously, I didn't realize this thread is old. Unfortunately, we have a spammer who is spamming his crap on old posts. Where are the mods when you need them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:17 am 

As of January 24, bars can be open until midnight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:42 am 

Tony Camonte wrote:
LOL. My bad. Seriously, I didn't realize this thread is old. Unfortunately, we have a spammer who is spamming his crap on old posts. Where are the mods when you need them?

Tijuana, perhaps?