www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Late Arrival and Curfews
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:15 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Amigos,

I am returning on May 9th for one week to complete my dental work and I have two questions.

The flight lands at 830 PM. Should I get something for dinner at the airport and is it even possible? United serves a cookie on a five-and-a-half-hour flight. Unlike last time, I will not be staying at my favorite Castillo or SL.

I got my health pass last month. Does this insurance have two parts, a one-time and daily or would I be paying the entire amount of $79 for six days?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:43 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

The health pass (QR Code) that you got last month would not be valid. You have to fill out the health information, online, no more that 2 days before arrival in CR. At that time you would upload your insurance details. If your insurance is approved then you will get your QR Code and be good to travel. With Sagicor the QR code was immediate and Trawick was a matter of minutes. YMMV with other companies.

I have only dealt with Sagicor and Trawick and both require a one-time payment that covers your entire trip. You will be given a tourist visa that has as many days as you are insured for. Also be sure that you insure your day of departure. I have heard of a couple of guys that did not and the had to jump through hoops at immigration.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:50 pm 

HD, thanks for the info. Understand the importance of the day of departure that needs to be included. I will keep an eye.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:48 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Harddrive43228 wrote:
You will be given a tourist visa that has as many days as you are insured for. Also be sure that you insure your day of departure.

What is the procedure if you decide after you are already in Costa Rica that you wand to extend your stay beyond what was originally insured and granted by tourist visa?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:14 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

RicoGuapo wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:
You will be given a tourist visa that has as many days as you are insured for. Also be sure that you insure your day of departure.

What is the procedure if you decide after you are already in Costa Rica that you wand to extend your stay beyond what was originally insured and granted by tourist visa?

There is an official process which can be a pain in the ass.
https://ticotimes.net/2021/02/03/how-to ... urist-visa

You can also overstay your visa and deal with it when you leave. You are taking a risk if you are stopped by the authorities for any reason. In theory, you would extend your insurance and then at exit either pay $100 for each month of overstay or accept a re-renty impediment of 3x the length of your overstay. Both the fine and impediment had been suspended during the "emergency period" but who knows if they will be going forward. The current emergency period provisions end on June 2nd. The last time the government waited until one day before the extensions expired (March 2) until extending them until June 3rd.

Also, both land borders are now open, so Panama or Nicaragua border runs are possible, but you will still need to extend or purchase your medical insurance. This can be an issue with some carriers since you would not be in the USA.

All of this could change at a moment's notice by government decree. There are rumors of requiring a PCR test for CR entry. Netgems is the only one giving ironclad guarantees these days.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:59 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
The health pass (QR Code) that you got last month would not be valid. You have to fill out the health information, online, no more that 2 days before arrival in CR. At that time you would upload your insurance details. If your insurance is approved then you will get your QR Code and be good to travel. With Sagicor the QR code was immediate and Trawick was a matter of minutes. YMMV with other companies.

I have only dealt with Sagicor and Trawick and both require a one-time payment that covers your entire trip. You will be given a tourist visa that has as many days as you are insured for. Also be sure that you insure your day of departure. I have heard of a couple of guys that did not and the had to jump through hoops at immigration.

Which site does one go to after getting insurance (from Trawick) to get the QR code?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

chodu wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:

Which site does one go to after getting insurance (from Trawick) to get the QR code?

https://salud.go.cr/

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:52 am 

Thanks. All worked out and a very very memorable trip, despite the 9pm curfew in Jaco and 7pm in SJ.