www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:17 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Southwest Airlines will start flying to SJO and LIR on June 6 from Houston Hobby. Flights from Dallas Love Field are priced about $350 RT

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:50 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Good news!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:05 am 

I was on the first flight to Costa Rica when southwest started and had been flying them exclusively since they have stopped I was forced to use another carrier and went with Alaska Airlines. I was able to get status with them quickly and am now 1 trip away from their highest level. By the time I paid for my extra baggage I bring 4 bags each trip, 2 suitcases and 2 big 70 gallon storage containers with 100 lbs worth of household shit and building suppies for my house. After paying the baggage fees upgrading to first class is less than 200.00 more and most time Alaska waives my 3rd and 4th bag fees since I booked first class. For me I doubt I will go back to flying on Southworst and getting shitty service at checkin. I did not mind because of the money I was saving on baggage as compared to American but every time I would arrive for my flight they would give me shit about wanting a customer service agent. I would tell them I was flying international and needed to combine my flights as I had to book point to point in order to get all the way to Costa Rica. I always got to the first gate pissed off and would file a complaint with customer service while I sat in the terminal.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:08 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Southwest might have its flaws in some aspects of customer service. But their presence in the market has made a difference in pricing for all carriers. Before they started flying to CR average RT was several hundred dollars higher. Other airlines quickly dropped prices when they had to compete.

I’m glad they are back to keep price competition pressure on the other airlines, even if I am not flying with them every time.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:33 am 

I think the best thing about Southwest is that there are never any lines going thru customs at Houston Hobby airport. The worst is that the flight back to Dallas is usually delayed a couple of hours and they want to charge an extra plane ticket to go on a the next flight

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:21 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Hank I use Southwest on a regular basis for Domestic flights and like their low prices and IMO seem to be best low budget airline that don't nickel and dime ya to death, I received a email a few weeks ago about flights Continuing to Liberia and San Jose, but logged in and searching just this week for July flights and prices they have only 1 flight into SJO / 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday but none going back out for a return in July :?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:13 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

TF74 wrote:
I received a email a few weeks ago about flights Continuing to Liberia and San Jose, but logged in and searching just this week for July flights and prices they have only 1 flight into SJO / 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday but none going back out for a return in July :?

I think it depends on whether you are looking for direct flights to/from your market. There haven't been any direct flights to/from where I am for a while, but there have been 1-stops. Last I checked a week ago, Southwest wasn't showing any return flights from SJO after mid-July. But they have since updated their schedules online and now I see options literally every day through the end of October.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:43 pm 

RicoGuapo wrote:
TF74 wrote:
I received a email a few weeks ago about flights Continuing to Liberia and San Jose, but logged in and searching just this week for July flights and prices they have only 1 flight into SJO / 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday but none going back out for a return in July :?

I think it depends on whether you are looking for direct flights to/from your market. There haven't been any direct flights to/from where I am for a while, but there have been 1-stops. Last I checked a week ago, Southwest wasn't showing any return flights from SJO after mid-July. But they have since updated their schedules online and now I see options literally every day through the end of October.

If the planes go down, they gotta come back.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:59 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

RicoGuapo wrote:
TF74 wrote:

RicoGuapo I am coming in from (CMH) Columbus so Unfortunately for me no direct flights from here to Costa Rica on any commercial airline to my knowledge anyways and on Southwest I would usually find a connecting flight into Wash Reagan (DCA) or Ft Lauderdale (FLL) then onto SJO but when I search the site only find flights down and nothing back home makes no sense to me :? but that's what I find maybe they haven't updated these schedules yet

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:08 am 

TF74 wrote:
RicoGuapo wrote:
TF74 wrote:

RicoGuapo I am coming in from (CMH) Columbus so Unfortunately for me no direct flights from here to Costa Rica on any commercial airline to my knowledge anyways and on Southwest I would usually find a connecting flight into Wash Reagan (DCA) or Ft Lauderdale (FLL) then onto SJO but when I search the site only find flights down and nothing back home makes no sense to me :? but that's what I find maybe they haven't updated these schedules yet

Southwest has flights every day from Houston Hobby airport

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:28 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

you are correct Hank, I have flown thru Houston once to SJO added about an hour to my travel time but I was using free miles, playing around with there website in order for me to use SW I would have to make 2 separate reservations on the same airline which is not BAU, it's almost like someone dropped the ball at Southwest, I went with Delta again for my next trip and used some miles as $ prices were High for July Travel, I check SW for my Fall return

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:49 pm 

I used to fly them all the time once they started going to CR. The trick to booking your flights are that you need to make sure your connections are within 4 hours. That way when you get to the airport let them know you have connections shorter than 4 hours and they will combine your flights under 1 confirmation number and your bags will be checked all the way thru to your destination. This works for domestic flights as well. The advantage of point to point booking is you get the individual segments credited to your rewards account and helping you get priority seating. If you book a trip from california to florida and have 4 stops you get credited 1 segment. If you do point to point for each stop you will get 4 segments credited but no have to get your bags

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 2:56 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Hank wrote:
Southwest Airlines will start flying to SJO and LIR on June 6 from Houston Hobby. Flights from Dallas Love Field are priced about $350 RT

I remember seeing direct from DFW with south west but cannot see them anymore. It is connect through Houston which takes 10 hours travel time instead of 4

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:19 am 

pb77 wrote:
Hank wrote:

I remember seeing direct from DFW with south west but cannot see them anymore. It is connect through Houston which takes 10 hours travel time instead of 4

Southwest only flys out of Dallas Love Field American Airlines has the only direct flights to SJO from Dallas at DFW airport Currently they have one in the morning and anotherat night

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:31 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I checked for July 10 Dal to SJO and it looks like there is no non- stop flight.

It says lowest fare is 1:30 pm leaving dal and time is 7h with 1 stop in Houston. I would prefer southwest but maybe they scaled back with covid