www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Google Fi question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:43 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Gents,

I have a question about Google Fi. First, I have read as much as possible here but can’t find the answer to my specific question.

That specific question is: can one receive a text message on a Google Fi account from the USA from a “Verification” service while here in Costa Rica?

I live here full time and the issue is that more and more I am being asked by banks and etc to “verify” my identity via text message code for simple banking things. I will not be returning to the USA so I can’t get a USA mobile account with T-mobile or other USA carriers since I’d have to actually be there to set it up.

I know it is possible to receive a text message from the USA on Skype, as an example, if one has a Skype phone number (I do and I get them quite often) but Skype specifically says that “verification” messages are not available – and they do not go through – tried it and I know.

I see that I can get a Google Fi phone and account online (USA mobile number) and have it sent to a USA address. I can then have a friend coming this way bring it to me.

I’d be willing to pay for a inexpensive Google Fi phone and the $35 (more or less) per month to Google Fi to avoid the frustration. This is the only reason I really need the phone and service.

By the way, Google Fi online support says it is not a problem but I’d prefer to know “first-hand’ if one of you have actually received “verification” text messages from banks or etc on a Google Fi USA number while in CR. I’d hate to go through the process to then find out it really doesn’t work.

Thanks in advance.

Woozo

Post subject: Re: Google Fi question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:17 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Personally I would tell the bank you do not have a phone number and can only do the 2 party verification via email. I have 2 accounts set up that way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:38 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
Personally I would tell the bank you do not have a phone number and can only do the 2 party verification via email. I have 2 accounts set up that way.

Llv4play,

Gracias !

Good idea and I’ll give it a try.

Certainly better than buying a phone and paying for phone service.

Thanks again !

Woozo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:11 pm 

I use Mint mobile phone service. After a promotional period, the cost is $75 every 3 months, so $25 per month. To that I added $20 in International Roaming minutes that do not expire. You pick your US area code and select an available number. You can manage online to check and purchase minutes. US text messages, including bank, broker, and credit card authorizations come through seamlessly. You do have to set it up in the US. I have been using it since Jan 2020.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:20 pm 

Boynton wrote:
I use Mint mobile phone service. After a promotional period, the cost is $75 every 3 months, so $25 per month. To that I added $20 in International Roaming minutes that do not expire. You pick your US area code and select an available number. You can manage online to check and purchase minutes. US text messages, including bank, broker, and credit card authorizations come through seamlessly. You do have to set it up in the US. I have been using it since Jan 2020.

Thanks, Boynton!

I’ll take a look but as I said, I will not be returning to the USA so that may be a problem!

Good info for others even if I can’t use it!

Thanks again.

Woozo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:30 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who uses Google Fi in CR.

I'm using it now in U.S. and got it with the idea that I could transition to CR with it pretty seamlessly. I'm sure there are bumps in the road ahead I don't see, though, and would love to hear anyone's experience who made that transition.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:08 pm 

Bookie wrote:

I'm using it now in U.S. and got it with the idea that I could transition to CR with it pretty seamlessly. I'm sure there are bumps in the road ahead I don't see, though, and would love to hear anyone's experience who made that transition.

Hola Bookie,

There is a lot of info here about Google Fi and I think many use it when they are here. However I could never find anything on my specific question.

Good luck !

Woozo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:03 pm 

Woozo wrote:
Bookie wrote:

Hola Bookie,

There is a lot of info here about Google Fi and I think many use it when they are here. However I could never find anything on my specific question.

Good luck !

Woozo

These verification texts or calls are a problem. The banks I deal with will not send it via email. They will not compromise on the 2 part verification. It is a problem for me because where I currently live I cannot get a mobile signal reliably, and by the time I drive up the road to a hill to get a text, and get back to my place my original log in has timed out.

Anyway, same problem I had particularly in Colombia as I could not get texts there on my cell service. However I could get texts while in Costa Rica, so in CR it wasn't a problem.

As for Google FI... have no idea as it is not available where I live anyway.

My proposed solution is now to get an old fashioned land line, and when I am away have my calls forwarded to a VOIP phone, and then be able to get messages over Wifi connections wherever I am.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:44 pm 

I have been looking at American Citizens Abroad for a variety of issues (including tax consultancy). They also work with the State Department Federal Credit Union which has been referenced in Lending Tree, Nasdaq, and Kiplinger. The credit union is specifically focused State Department employees and US Citizens living abroad.

Fair notice, I have been waiting for my CR residency to come through before joining, so as of now, my "experience" has been research only. But I have not encountered any red flags.

https://www.americansabroad.org/aca-membership/
https://www.americansabroad.org/sdfcu-account/

Wikipedia entry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Citizens_Abroad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:19 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Google Fi will shut you down if you use it exclusively outside of the United States. There are plenty of youtube videos posted of expats who got shutdown by Fi.

However, Google Fi is great if you live in the United States, and frequently or occasionally travel outside of the United States. It works seamlessly for 3/4G data, calls and receiving texts.

After living abroad for many years I had to dump my accounts at US Bank. The text message verification is just too big of a problem.

However, I was able to keep my credit cards at US Bank. Apparently if you close the deposit accounts (checking and savings) but keep the credit card, then the text message verification requirement goes away.

The bottom line however is that you need to ditch the banking deposit accounts. Keep your money in a brokerage account, ideally Charles Schwab.

Keep in mind that Schwab doesn't have to support the low value, typically elderly and confused customers that need a bank branch for personal assistance. They only have offices in big cities and mostly for financially literate customers.

Also brokerage accounts aren't regulated like bank deposit accounts. It's very easy and cheap to send an international wire transfer from your brokerage account. Unlike a bank, the brokerage isn't required to replace the funds when a senile customer wires money to the prince of Nigeria or the scam lottery.

With Schwab there is no text verification for established accounts. Instead there is verification in the phone apps for online transactions.

Anyone can setup a free account with Schwab. There are no filters, except they expect their marketing and lack of a storefront will keep the rabble away from them.

You may get some requirements for a text verification, especially with your first outgoing wire transaction. But after that NEVER change your address or phone number. It's worked great for me, over 10 years now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 pm 

Ulysses wrote:
Google Fi will shut you down if you use it exclusively outside of the United States. There are plenty of youtube videos posted of expats who got shutdown by Fi.

However, Google Fi is great if you live in the United States, and frequently or occasionally travel outside of the United States. It works seamlessly for 3/4G data, calls and receiving texts.

After living abroad for many years I had to dump my accounts at US Bank. The text message verification is just too big of a problem.

However, I was able to keep my credit cards at US Bank. Apparently if you close the deposit accounts (checking and savings) but keep the credit card, then the text message verification requirement goes away.

The bottom line however is that you need to ditch the banking deposit accounts. Keep your money in a brokerage account, ideally Charles Schwab.

Keep in mind that Schwab doesn't have to support the low value, typically elderly and confused customers that need a bank branch for personal assistance. They only have offices in big cities and mostly for financially literate customers.

Also brokerage accounts aren't regulated like bank deposit accounts. It's very easy and cheap to send an international wire transfer from your brokerage account. Unlike a bank, the brokerage isn't required to replace the funds when a senile customer wires money to the prince of Nigeria or the scam lottery.

With Schwab there is no text verification for established accounts. Instead there is verification in the phone apps for online transactions.

Anyone can setup a free account with Schwab. There are no filters, except they expect their marketing and lack of a storefront will keep the rabble away from them.

You may get some requirements for a text verification, especially with your first outgoing wire transaction. But after that NEVER change your address or phone number. It's worked great for me, over 10 years now.

Hola Ulysses,

Thanks a bunch for the detailed info.

Yes, the text message verification is becoming a major issue even for the simplistic of things. As an example, if I log onto an existing account from a different device (iPad, as an example) then I need to do a text message verification the first time. I understand the reasons but I don’t understand why they won’t accept an international mobile phone number for the text verification. People are living all over the world these days but I still need a USA mobile phone number for the verifications - total BS, IMHO !

You mentioned that you received text messages on Google Fi when traveling international - did you receive text message verifications on your Google Fi phone?

I actually have had a Schwab account for several years and like you I have found it very user friendly. Wire transfers are cheap ($15, I think) and it is complete (money received) the same day as long as I do the transfer in the morning. All done online line and in a very few minutes. My only concern is that all my transactions are foreign (ATMs and bank transfers to CR bank) and I have heard that may become a flag to them that I am not living in the USA. Fingers crossed !

I seldom use ATMs here in CR but when I do I use Schwab because, as you know, they reimburse the ATM fees at the end of the month. By the way, I just noticed this week that the local CR Scotia just went to $5 (up from $3) for ATM transactions. Again that is not a major issue since Schwab reimburses the fee.

On the positive side, all these issues are small bumps in the road and I accept them to live here in CR - I’d rather be here than anywhere on earth!

Pura vida and thanks again!

Woozo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:09 pm 

Woozo wrote:
As an example, if I log onto an existing account from a different device (iPad, as an example) then I need to do a text message verification the first time.

Seeing this, do you use an iphone or android phone? GoogleFi and iphones do not play well together. Another option is to just get a google voice number.

https://voice.google.com/u/0/signup

You can have text messages sent here, it's tied to your Gmail account, so you see the verification code in an email instead of text. I've had a Google Voice number for years as my anti spam number. Works great.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:53 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Woozo wrote:

Hola Ulysses,

Thanks a bunch for the detailed info.

Yes, the text message verification is becoming a major issue even for the simplistic of things. As an example, if I log onto an existing account from a different device (iPad, as an example) then I need to do a text message verification the first time. I understand the reasons but I don’t understand why they won’t accept an international mobile phone number for the text verification. People are living all over the world these days but I still need a USA mobile phone number for the verifications - total BS, IMHO !

You mentioned that you received text messages on Google Fi when traveling international - did you receive text message verifications on your Google Fi phone?

I actually have had a Schwab account for several years and like you I have found it very user friendly. Wire transfers are cheap ($15, I think) and it is complete (money received) the same day as long as I do the transfer in the morning. All done online line and in a very few minutes. My only concern is that all my transactions are foreign (ATMs and bank transfers to CR bank) and I have heard that may become a flag to them that I am not living in the USA. Fingers crossed !

I seldom use ATMs here in CR but when I do I use Schwab because, as you know, they reimburse the ATM fees at the end of the month. By the way, I just noticed this week that the local CR Scotia just went to $5 (up from $3) for ATM transactions. Again that is not a major issue since Schwab reimburses the fee.

On the positive side, all these issues are small bumps in the road and I accept them to live here in CR - I’d rather be here than anywhere on earth!

Pura vida and thanks again!

Woozo

You can't use Fi and live abroad. They will shut you down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qji_9qth8HQ

Your bank won’t accept an international mobile phone number for the text verification because the you must be a resident of the United States in order to have a deposit account with online banking.

A U.S. citizen who lives in Costa Rica is NOT a resident of the United States.

My advice is to be ambiguous with your U.S. residency. Many people have more than one home in different locations.

My experience with Google Voice is that it works with text messages from Schwab, but the number gets rejected when I try to use it with my other bank accounts or Facebook. Obviously there is some way on their end to detect that the number is virtual.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:03 am 

Ulysses wrote:
Woozo wrote:

My experience with Google Voice is that it works with text messages from Schwab, but the number gets rejected when I try to use it with my other bank accounts or Facebook. Obviously there is some way on their end to detect that the number is virtual.

I've used it with BOA, Chase, and my local Credit Union. Guess it may just be who you're banking with. Regardless, it's free so it's worth a shot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:33 am 

saltyron wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
Woozo wrote:

I've used it with BOA, Chase, and my local Credit Union. Guess it may just be who you're banking with. Regardless, it's free so it's worth a shot.

What he said.

I use my GV number for 2F authentication all the time.

Might want to also look into using Google Authenticator if your bank supports it.

mh