www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:17 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Ilv4play wrote:
Netgems, if you ever do decide to buy a car in CR and want some help let me know. I bought a 2003 Rav4 from a guy that works with Aduanas to sell cars that are not picked up because of paperwork issues or because the import taxes are too much and they do not want to pay them so they just walk away from the vehicle and it will get sold. I paid almost 7000 for the car which was way more than it would have been in the states, but even being a 2003, it only had 115k miles on it. The car was an American car that was registered in CA so I was able to get the Carfax history and make sure there were no issues prior to being shipped to CR. The person we bought it from was able to change the import history to my wife's name in the system and it cost us much less to get the paperwork done than if we were considered a new buyer..... ???? I know phucking Costa Rican bureaucracy, on top of that we can refer you to an attorney that charges considerably less to get the vehicle licensed and registered in your name or someone's name you trust. The seller suggested an attorney that was almost 400K and our gal only charged 160k. It is a pain in the ass but if you do not do it correctly and have someone that knows how to get the valuation lower than what they want to use you will end up paying much more in annual Marchamo. Ours is just under 130,000 for the year and full coverage insurance is only 500 per year.

Thanks, will keep that in mind. For now, I'm in Escazu retired, and my travels are limited to food shopping, my gym, a couple fave restaurants, pharmacies (The older you get, the more you go to these places, lol) Walmart, Paseo Colon and occasionally downtown.

I estimate I might put in 20 to 30 miles a week, and so far getting one just isn't worth the hassle, plus not owning one forces me to walk and exercise to my local travels, "blow the stink off ya", like my mother used to say when I was a K*D and she made me go outside, lol. :mrgreen:

On a rare occasion I want to travel outside San Jose area, I'll rent a car with AAA like services and fully insured so no headaches.

I actually have some Tico friends who have contacts for super cheap local cars, my own lawyer who's been great and doesn't overcharge, a good mechanic I know who takes care of my friends and will inspect one if I want to buy, so I have that all handled when I may eventually want one.

My thoughts are I'm now only 66 and in decent shape for my age and get around easy, and I am thinking if I live long enough and get older and feeble, then maybe it's the time to buy and make life easier. My ho expense may be considerably lower then, so I'll be using that money for a different ride, lol. :roll:

One of my neighbors has a low miles (like 80,000 kilometer) '97 Alpha Romeo Twin spark 156, it's an Italian BMW, and he said he'll sell it to me if I want it in a year or two.

I test drove it and loved it, the interior is still super clean, my mechanic looked at it and said it's pretty clean, he's taken good care of it, and with the low miles I'll drive, like max 50 per week, even though it's Italian, it probably shouldn't cause me too many problems.

He said he can take care of it and parts aren't hard to find here, so I might do that when he's ready, I've been a sports car nut in Florida all my life, Nissan 510, Nissan 350Z, BMWs, Saabs, Infinities M30 and G35, a couple old American V8's, Pontiac GTO and Chevelle SS just to name a few...I can't shake the habit, I can't be forced to buy a sensible car, lol. :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:02 pm 

Netgems wrote:
My thoughts are I'm now only 66 and in decent shape for my age and get around easy, and I am thinking if I live long enough and get older and feeble, then maybe it's the time to buy and make life easier. My ho expense may be considerably lower then, so I'll be using that money for a different ride, lol.

When you get older and feebler you will find a car making even less sense. Uber drops off and pickups right at the doorstep of wherever you are going, no need to park far away and hobble through the heat and/or rain. Plus you have a driver that will usually unload your purchases in my case, into my garage. If needed, you can always rent a ride for a day or two and avoid the Riteve, Marchamo, INS and mechanic expenses. Your car is always only a few years old and you never have to buy gas. If you sign up tor UberPass, you get a 10% discount on rides and free delivery on food and groceries. You get bank exchange rate on your purchases and even earn airline miles. If you combine Uber with DiDi, you can send your chica home via DiDi (cheaper) while you Uber to your post-coital feast. Plus, if you don't own a car, nobody asks you for a ride. :mrgreen:

In the US, I always owned a weekend vehicle (zoom zoom) and a utility vehicle (boat hauler). Owning a vehicle came with adulthood. Now, I am cuntent to be a chauffeur-driven gentleman-of-leisure. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:05 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Netgems wrote:
My thoughts are I'm now only 66 and in decent shape for my age and get around easy, and I am thinking if I live long enough and get older and feeble, then maybe it's the time to buy and make life easier. My ho expense may be considerably lower then, so I'll be using that money for a different ride, lol.

When you get older and feebler you will find a car making even less sense. Uber drops off and pickups right at the doorstep of wherever you are going, no need to park far away and hobble through the heat and/or rain. Plus you have a driver that will usually unload your purchases in my case, into my garage. If needed, you can always rent a ride for a day or two and avoid the Riteve, Marchamo, INS and mechanic expenses. Your car is always only a few years old and you never have to buy gas. If you sign up tor UberPass, you get a 10% discount on rides and free delivery on food and groceries. You get bank exchange rate on your purchases and even earn airline miles. If you combine Uber with DiDi, you can send your chica home via DiDi (cheaper) while you Uber to your post-coital feast. Plus, if you don't own a car, nobody asks you for a ride. :mrgreen:

In the US, I always owned a weekend vehicle (zoom zoom) and a utility vehicle (boat hauler). Owning a vehicle came with adulthood. Now, I am cuntent to be a chauffeur-driven gentleman-of-leisure. 8)

I am too, that's why I've resisted so far, and also using Uber, cabs, walking, you fly under the radar, and the Costa Rica government has less info on you, lol.

My problem is I've always been a car guy, and feel odd without one, but when I return to South Florida to visit family and friends, my trusty '92 Infiniti M30 'vert awaits my commands, maybe I'll be happy with that... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:59 am 

I have not driven a car in 5 years. That is when I moved here. I don’t miss it, especially with Uber and the buses.