www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using a SIM card
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:22 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

SIM card vs Travel Pass

Just a few questions regarding the use of a SIM card while in CR. I have always used Travel Pass with Verizon and it usually ends up at $10/ day. So 7 days $70. I know a SIM card would save money but do you have to make a list of all WhatsApp contacts and if you contact someone it will be a number not in their contacts. Any pointers how those of you familiar with using a SIM manage your contacts. I have an old iPhone that is out of service that’s been wiped clean that I was thinking of using. Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks

Jimbo
(pop pop )

Post subject: Re: Using a SIM card
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:57 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I was on San Jose a couple weeks ago. I bought a sim card it worked great. All the info contacts,photos et cetra stays in the phone. The sim card just gives you service. I E data usage. There's a Claro booth at the airport and all over town.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:21 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

kwadd replied

I was on San Jose a couple weeks ago. I bought a sim card it worked great. All the info contacts,photos et cetra stays in the phone. The sim card just gives you service. I E data usage. There's a Claro booth at the airport and all over town.

Thanks for the info KW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:46 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Jimbo wrote:
SIM card vs Travel Pass

Just a few questions regarding the use of a SIM card while in CR. I have always used Travel Pass with Verizon and it usually ends up at $10/ day. So 7 days $70. I know a SIM card would save money but do you have to make a list of all WhatsApp contacts and if you contact someone it will be a number not in their contacts. Any pointers how those of you familiar with using a SIM manage your contacts. I have an old iPhone that is out of service that’s been wiped clean that I was thinking of using. Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks

Jimbo
(pop pop )

I have Verizon also, I've used the "travel pass" option in the past. But found that where ever Wi-Fi is available, (which is just about everywhere) it wasn't needed.
But I did buy a burner phone which I load with Claro.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:25 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

A SIM card with a CR number can also provide a layer of protection for your identity. Depending on your situation in the States you may not want chicas to have your US phone number.

I also seem to remember that CR SIM cards need to be recharged within a time frame or they deactivate. Not a problem if you don’t mind a different phone number each trip. Or there were ways to top them up over the internet. Possibly this is old information no longer relevant.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:56 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

burner phone, burner SIM, alias social media accounts. If you want to be really careful, buy the SIM already activated from a chica or street vendor so that it is not linked to your passport or other ID. Recharge using cash at a convenience store. For infrequent visitors, you can use LlamaCostaRica.com linked to a paypal account.