www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:34 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I have coined a term that will be useful...

HOVIA

1. A regular favorite ho who will do novia things like going out to dinner, taking trips with you, spending the night repeatedly, etc. If you have met her family and are now giving them money as well, she probably is your hovia...

2. A ho who has found a chump with more money than common sense and is draining him good, all the while he thinks she's crazy about him...and her family is in on it too, also repeatedly hitting him up...

The difference between definition 1 and 2 is "nuanced"... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:21 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

After doing further research on translating devices, I found that I already own a translating device (and you probably do, too). I don't need to buy one after all.

There is a free Google Translate app (for Android and iOS) that turns a smartphone into a translation device. I had used Google Translate on the web previously to translate written text, but I didn't realize (duh!) that the app could do live voice translation as well as translation of written text using the camera. I have been testing it and find its translations, while not perfect, are good - good enough that I'm not about to fork over hundreds of dollars for a separate translation device that I have to carry around (especially when my smartphone is always with me already). Also, in the settings, you can set the Spanish dialect to "Costa Rica", and you can download the dictionary to be able to translate offline should you need to.

I find it useful for studying to improve my Spanish. On my upcoming trip to Costa Rica, I will try it live to see how many times it gets me into more trouble than I bargained for. LOL. Can't be any worse than the trouble I already get myself into using Spanglish!