www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:31 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Bought 6 days today for $36.06 and $0 trip cost. Apparently $500 trip cost is inexpensive.

Downloaded their app. It gives an error message and will not permit signup. Using their app is not necessary but would be convenient.

Having to wait until 48 hours to fill out the Health pass is a little unnerving for this Senior.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:18 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

GFO wrote:
Bought 6 days today for $36.06 and $0 trip cost. Apparently $500 trip cost is inexpensive.

Downloaded their app. It gives an error message and will not permit signup. Using their app is not necessary but would be convenient.

Having to wait until 48 hours to fill out the Health pass is a little unnerving for this Senior.

Trust me...nobody was more freaked out about getting everything filled out correctly and making sure everything was good to go than me. Just take you time with the health pass..it’s always a little weird filling out dates when you come here since it’s dd/mn/yr rather than how we do it. Just download and save the documents Trawick sends you and the upload them into the health pass. I would recommend watching the video someone posted earlier in the thread. I got my Q code almost instantly, which surprised me. Anyway...just take your time...it’ll work out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:51 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

My QR code was sent immediately using Trawick.

For 12 days of coverage it was $43.67. I used a trip cost of $500.

The coverages for medical, repatriation, etc. seem to be much higher than the local policies. Even includes rental car damage coverage.

Benefits paid, claims processed by Nationwide Insurance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:07 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Benefits paid, claims processed by Nationwide Insurance.

Anyone here had benefits paid? Last update I read the one member who submitted a claim is still waiting for payment.

Given that, the CR insurance requirement gained inertia and is unlikely to go away. Especially for those in the US who have been fully vaccinated, your risk of falling ill are incredibly low. The greater risk is that the airlines will cancel your flight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:56 pm 

I looked at the reviews on a couple of review sites and the responses are mixed. Most of the people bitching are arguing about slow or no receipt of trip cancellation benefits as opposed to the health side. Most travel policies are very strict as to what and when they reimburse for trip cancellation. One thing that bites many in the ass is that most companies don't reimburse for trip cancellations unless the insurance is taken out very shortly after your travel reservations have been made and paid for.

I have done travel insurance for the last 10 years or so for all of my overseas trips after meeting a guy in Thailand that had a heart issue and had to pretty much pay for everything. Even with Thailand's less expensive health care, he still ended up spending about $10K.

Myself, I'm not that concerned about catching Covid as I have had both vaccine doses but at my age I do worry about a heart attack, stroke, etc. or getting hit by a Costa Rican driver.

I think it is a great idea for countries to mandate travel insurance for their visitors. Host countries shouldn't have to foot the bill for emergency or long term treatment for visitors.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:00 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Myself, I'm not that concerned about catching Covid as I have had both vaccine doses but at my age I do worry about a heart attack, stroke, etc. or getting hit by a Costa Rican driver.

I think it is a great idea for countries to mandate travel insurance for their visitors. Host countries shouldn't have to foot the bill for emergency or long term treatment for visitors.

IMO you are more likely to be hit by a motorbike while crossing the street. Just ask Pops about that one. After his incident, I always carried travelers insurance when I was a tourist and have bought catastrophic coverage since moving here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:27 pm 

Filled out the Health Pass today on my cell phone using a chrome browswer. A few things were peculiar.

Apparently there is no Sportsmens Lodge to choose in the form and only Hotel Sportsmens El Carmen . The form also asks for your airline seat number which is unassigned at this time so I made one up.

Uploading the insurance form from my cell phone was tricky finding. I uploaded a single page Trawick form showing dates and coversge. The QR code came back instantly on my phone. It has options to download it and send an email. I did both.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:46 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

El Carmen is the District in San Jose that SL is within. It is from Central Ave downtown to Rio Torres, the river behind SL that runs through the zoo. About 20 blocks wide. Otherwise known as Gringo gulch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:55 pm 

Are you guys just carrying the electronic copies of the insurance documentation on your phone or printing out hard copies?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:20 pm 

No hard copy for me since I used my cell phone. It would be more thorough to print a copy.

I forwarded copies to email. Dowloaded all 3 documents on my cell and learned how to retrieve them.

I screenshot the QR code which generates instantly. On the posts related to Insurance some brothers say the QR code is checked but not Trawick documents. Customs still may ask for them. This is my first time visiting CR post-covid.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:28 pm 

Railroadme wrote:
Are you guys just carrying the electronic copies of the insurance documentation on your phone or printing out hard copies?

Both. I had an unfortunate experience losing a phone during travel once and had my hard copies to fall back on so I could complete transit without any delays. International layovers are not a great place to have to rush around to get documents replaced. I always carry hard copies of my boarding passes, train tickets etc... and my hotel reservations on my person, not in my carry on bags.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:54 pm 

Well, Trawick has been selling COVID coverage long enough to develop a track record. Interesting results here.

https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/www.tr ... tional.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:44 pm 

Finally got my claim finished. Thankfully I was not hurting for the money so I just kind of let it run its course, communication was at times slow to respond to email. I ended up getting paid for the max my plan was good for, which I put down $2300.00 as my trip cost. They did disallow a couple of items because I was already reimbursed from Alaska Airlines for them, but they allowed a couple of other small charges of 101.00 and 144.00 that put me up to the limit of my coverage. All in all I am happy and will continue to use them. The biggest issue I had was getting a couple of receipts and a statement from a Condo rental that I did not rebook and that I have credit for the time I was prevented from being in the country. I did feel those were reasonable requests but keep that in mind as you might need to do some leg work to get them to pay you.