www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:57 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I know that the Trawick insurance offering has been dissed by a few folks on this board but I tried to do a bit of research as I wanted some insurance for a trip to Cancun this week, that would specifically cover Covid related expenses for medical and additional lodging for quarantine in the event I tested positive while I was down there.

Trawick was one of the few companies that specifically said they would cover additional lodging for quarantine (up to $2000) and would treat Covid as any other contracted illness as far as medical expenses were concerned.

They had pretty good reviews online and Forbes did list them as a decent company to use for travel insurance that did cover Covid. I am not really concerned with trip cancellation, baggage delay and all of the other similar coverages, just the medical and the lodging.

The price was reasonable, about $90 for two of us for two weeks in Mexico.

I am now considering them for my upcoming trip to Costa Rica (April). The quote for 10 days for one person was $43. My only real question, from people that have used them recently is how long it took to get your QR code once you submitted the completed application. When I did it in January using Sagicor I got the QR code almost immediately.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:41 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

It was immediate when I used it for an 11-13 thru 02-10-21 trip.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:15 pm 

Dmanwalking

excellent news. Thanks for the quick reply

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:13 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

YW Enjoy the Trip still alot of Fun to be had.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:19 am 

I am in the process of getting a claim paid with Trawick as my plane was turned around mid-flight and I was not able to arrive in Costa Rica as planned. I am using the trip interruption part of the insurance as I had non-refundable reservations paid that I could not use for Christmas and New Years. I will update as soon as I get reimbursed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:44 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Good luck with the claim. Sounds solid. But as I’m sure you know the business model of all insurance companies is to find some fine print in the policy that allows them to avoid paying claims or at least delay the payment as long as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:52 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

[quote="Harddrive43228"]I know that the Trawick insurance offering has been dissed by a few folks on this board but I tried to do a bit of research as I wanted some insurance for a trip to Cancun this week, that would specifically cover Covid related expenses for medical and additional lodging for quarantine in the event I tested positive while I was down there.

It's only been dissed by trolls who have no idea what they are talking about as I said previously in my post that you are referring too, a quick recap Hardrive43228 it's backed by Nationwide Insurance here in Cbus.

I will be purchasing it again on my upcoming trip and only using airfare as my trip cost for the policy ... knowing all my Room Reservations can be canceled w/o penalty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:54 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Ilv4play wrote:
I am in the process of getting a claim paid with Trawick as my plane was turned around mid-flight and I was not able to arrive in Costa Rica as planned. I am using the trip interruption part of the insurance as I had non-refundable reservations paid that I could not use for Christmas and New Years. I will update as soon as I get reimbursed

interested as well keep us posted and I Hope you get reimbursed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:12 pm 

Seems like Trawick is everyone’s choice for this insurance. Almost all reviews appear positive. However, I’m one that likes choices no matter how good something may appear. Aside from Trawick are there any other insurance providers that offer these same services?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:36 pm 

Bond Trader

Trawick is the only company I am aware of, except for the three that are listed on the CR health site (INS, Sagacor and Blue Cross Blue Shield) that specifically endorses the provisions required by Costa Rica regarding coverage for extended lodging cost if you contract Covid while in the country. I'm sure there are others you could probably push through but I doubt they would be any less expensive than Trawick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:13 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Has anyone used World Nomads? My friend used it for CR and he said it was easy and good price. It might be a US based company?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:46 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

https://travel.usnews.com/features/the- ... -companies
Trawick has mixed at best.
Do your due diligence , look at the different company reviews.
Read the google reviews for all the insurance companies, throw out the best and the worst,

Personally I DO NOT recommend Allizanz. Bad experience. they found a Loop hole and denied medical payment for my friend

Edited to add info... Allianz insurance was purchased through A.A. , the incident was about 10 years ago. We both got poisoned from La Princess marina seafood. My friend had to spend an extra couple of days in C/R , jumped through hoops to try and get the insurance to cover his medical. He went to Hospital Cauldrone by the Armistead. Even had to get a notarized form from the Doctor. Still . about three months later , they sent him letter citing a loophole in the coverage. Payment denied...Only out about 1K

Last edited by Flacoduro1 on Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:26 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Definitely do not use Allianz travel insurance to cover the CR mandated COVID insurance. From their website:

“Our travel protection plans do not generally cover losses directly or indirectly related to known, foreseeable, or expected events, epidemics, government prohibitions, warnings, or travel advisories, or fear of travel. As such, we recommend that you do NOT purchase our products to insure you against any such losses, including related to COVID-19.”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:34 pm 

I've used world nomads in the past for SE Asia trips and they were very reasonable. I don't believe that they offer the specific coverage for quarantine lodging that is required to get the QR code for travel to CR.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:37 pm 

I'm probably going to go with Trawick. I will have had my second vaccine dose (Pfizer) a week before my flight to San Jose on April 5 so I feel relatively confident I won't catch Covid.