www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GREAT DENTIST!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:11 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I just returned from Dr Chen in downtown San Jose, calle 6 between avenida 4 and 6. His phone is 2233-2703, email, info@drchensaluddental.com

He is not listed as a tourist dentist but a couple expats who have been here decades recommended him to me. He's a fellow grey beard, been doing dental work forever and a day.

40 mil colones for two teeth extractions, he's patient and gentle, always asking if I'm experiencing pain. He was ready for my appointment, no waiting, 45 minutes later two remnants of broken teeth pulled (had dental work and bonding on them 30 years ago, they were due)

He speaks perfect English, studied not only in Costa Rica but also Univ. Calif dental school in Irvine, California.

He was honest, told me an inexpensive bridge would be all I need, not a pricey implant, and he does all of that there, even has his own lab.

I'm picky about dentists and doctors, I highly recommend, he explained everything and made me feel safe and comfortable.

http://drchensaluddental.com/?fbclid=Iw ... ZezpbD1wrk

Post subject: Re: GREAT DENTIST!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:21 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I had a great experience with Dr. Chen years ago. I had to be at work at 8:00 AM so was having a hard time scheduling a follow-up appointment, he overheard, and asked me if I wanted to come in at 6:00 AM the next day. I got there 5 minutes early and he was already there and let me in and did his thing.

I'm glad to hear he's still chugging along offering good care at very good prices.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:34 pm 

Bookie wrote:
I had a great experience with Dr. Chen years ago. I had to be at work at 8:00 AM so was having a hard time scheduling a follow-up appointment, he overheard, and asked me if I wanted to come in at 6:00 AM the next day. I got there 5 minutes early and he was already there and let me in and did his thing.

I'm glad to hear he's still chugging along offering good care at very good prices.

Even though my procedure was not major, he still gave me his personal cell number and said to text him if I experience any problems before I left the office.

Try asking an American dentist for that, lol... :x

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:07 pm 

Dr. Chen is easily the WORST dentist I've ever been to in my entire life. I will agree that he is extremely solicitous and gentle (concerned about sparing you any pain) but he has VERY shaky hands (not something you want from somebody doing very delicate work in your mouth with a power drill). I also agree that he'll see you at short notice and there's no wait in his office because he doesn't seem to have many patients, but is that necessarily a good sign. I used him to drill out and fill a simple cavity and that filling didn't even stay in my tooth as long as my flight back to the US. I ended up needing to find an emergency dentist to fix Chen's work as soon as I got home.

Sure he's cheaper than the "tourist dentists" but what is your dental health worth? Those so-called "tourist dentists" still charge only a third of what most dentists in the US charge while operating at 1st world standards. If you're getting major work done i suggest you "splurge" a little bit rather than cutting corners and completely cheaping out. And this is coming from someone who those who know me will tell you is something of a cheapskate (e.g. taking the bus from the airport, staying at places like the old Hotel Nuevo Johnson (a $15/nt place), taking meals in the Plaza Venida foodcourt, etc)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:36 pm 

I had a great experience with Dr. Chen years ago; and his numerous other dentists recently,he don't do implants, always busy with gringos/as and ticos/as

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:54 am 

Prolijo wrote:
Dr. Chen is easily the WORST dentist I've ever been to in my entire life. I will agree that he is extremely solicitous and gentle (concerned about sparing you any pain) but he has VERY shaky hands (not something you want from somebody doing very delicate work in your mouth with a power drill). I also agree that he'll see you at short notice and there's no wait in his office because he doesn't seem to have many patients, but is that necessarily a good sign. I used him to drill out and fill a simple cavity and that filling didn't even stay in my tooth as long as my flight back to the US. I ended up needing to find an emergency dentist to fix Chen's work as soon as I got home.

Sure he's cheaper than the "tourist dentists" but what is your dental health worth? Those so-called "tourist dentists" still charge only a third of what most dentists in the US charge while operating at 1st world standards. If you're getting major work done i suggest you "splurge" a little bit rather than cutting corners and completely cheaping out. And this is coming from someone who those who know me will tell you is something of a cheapskate (e.g. taking the bus from the airport, staying at places like the old Hotel Nuevo Johnson (a $15/nt place), taking meals in the Plaza Venida foodcourt, etc)

Interesting, I see this all the time with professionals, lawyers, doctors, dentists, nobody satisfies 100% of their clients. I was in the mortgage and real estate biz for decades and most of my clients loved me, I made a lot of money for many investor clients, and regular mom n pops liked my honesty and ability to explain things to them, but I had clients who loathed me, usually fools with unrealistic expectations I ended up delivering stern admonishments to and sending them off to someone else, lol.

I didn't see any shaky hands, otherwise I would have been out of there in 2 seconds, but maybe he had a hangover when he worked on you, lol.

I also see his office packed, and he has Tico dentists dealing with Tico patients under him, but he personally handles the gringos.

The reason I went to him, a friend of mine who is quite wealthy brought his mother in her 80's to him for extensive work, and he had a bridge and other work by him and recommended him strongly, plus I had two recent broken teeth and needed to move fast.

I've been to numerous bad, maybe terrible dentists in the USA, I was impressed with him because he got both teeth out, roots and all, no breaks in less than 30 minutes, and I have long curved roots broken by American dentists, and minimum pain to me.

My experience told me, at least in this extraction, he was quite skilled.

But...you have an excellent point, he quoted me $800 for a bridge for both teeth, a steal even in CR, I may go to Costa Rica Dental Team recommended here who had an oral surgeon pull a back molar for $100 and I was extremely satisfied with them as well, doesn't hurt to get two opinions and compare how I feel.

He's old school, no x-rays, he just looked at my teeth and went to work, that may be good or it may be bad, but so far, I feel good about what he did, and if my wealthy friend trusted him with his mother and a ton of work, and by the way, she's still alive and early 90's and reports her teeth he worked on look and feel great, I got that to think about as well, lol. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:28 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I have had great experiences with Dr. Chen. He has always been honest with me & I trust his recommendations. I went to Dr. Chen on my first visit after my USA dentist said I needed $1,800 of immediate dental work. Dr. Chen concluded that the work was not needed. That was many years ago & I still have not needed it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:20 pm 

Goboy wrote:
I have had great experiences with Dr. Chen. He has always been honest with me & I trust his recommendations. I went to Dr. Chen on my first visit after my USA dentist said I needed $1,800 of immediate dental work. Dr. Chen concluded that the work was not needed. That was many years ago & I still have not needed it.

Same here, I have numerous silver fillings and have read about people who had them removed because of their fear of mercury and replaced with different materials.

I asked him about his opinion, he could have tried for an easy buck, but he told me it's all nonsense and the amount of mercury that could be released is too small to pose any significant threat.

He also quoted a bridge for two bottom teeth he pulled, with one healthy tooth that was in the middle of them remaining, a tricky job, around $700, and he has his own lab and makes them there, he showed me a couple pics of clients b4 and after, looked great.

My friend who recommended him to me can afford any dentist and he took his elderly mother there for a good amount of work, he is very gentle and patient.