www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:36 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Don’t know the laws in Costa Rica but can’t they sell it or bankrupt it? Lender takes it back?

Someone could buy it and reopen it.

It was something to see Saturday nights when both of them were rolling. With band across the street.
Even some locals in there having fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:27 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

costareeker wrote:
Jawanker wrote:
I won’t believe any of these rumors until I am actually sitting at the bar again with beer in hand after being short changed and being asked “where yu fron “ several times in succession by multiple chicas.

Funniest post of the year!
"Where ju fron?
"Where ju stay?"
"Wha ju name?"

CostaReeker

Makes me think of Thailand:

“Where yu go?”
“Yu hansum man”
“I lub you”

It’s been waaaaaay too long.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:11 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I wouldn't want to think how many millions of dollars would be needed to renovate the Del Rey so that they could compete in the eco tourist / standard tourist market. And then it would be a lifetime before that investment was recouped given the competition and the pricepoints of other hotels (non-mongering) in the area. Also, the entire close-in neighborhood would have to be "gentrified" before a regular tourist would be willing to stay there.

If they don't plan on reopening with a similar business model as before, without making significant investments in remodeling, they might as well raze the hotel site and sell the land to someone willing to try something different with it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:20 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
I wouldn't want to think how many millions of dollars would be needed to renovate the Del Rey so that they could compete in the eco tourist / standard tourist market. And then it would be a lifetime before that investment was recouped given the competition and the pricepoints of other hotels (non-mongering) in the area. Also, the entire close-in neighborhood would have to be "gentrified" before a regular tourist would be willing to stay there.

If they don't plan on reopening with a similar business model as before, without making significant investments in remodeling, they might as well raze the hotel site and sell the land to someone willing to try something different with it.

There are many other hotels in the downtown area catering successfully to the non-monger business. Sleep Inn, right behind, Balmoral, Presidente, Gran Hotel (just recently renovated), Holiday Inn, as well as many boutique hotels. On the other hand the Del Rey is considered a national embarrassment and there has been pressure to close it down or change it to something different for years. Including from some of those within the influence sphere of the former owner, and I suspect from the political establishment. Besides which the lawsuits and claims against the business that was there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:15 pm 

Zeos

I didn't mean to imply that I didn't believe there was a market in San Jose for non-monger hotels. There most definitely is just based on the examples you listed.

Where I was going was that it would take an incredible amount of cash to bring the Del Rey up to the level of those hotels. I stopped by the Presidente during my last trip last January and was really impressed at how much it has been upgraded since I used to stay there in the early 2000's. I have to believe that the return on investment to upgrade the Del Rey to "family quality" would be poor based on the room rates the competitive hotels in the area are commanding right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:27 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Zeos

I didn't mean to imply that I didn't believe there was a market in San Jose for non-monger hotels. There most definitely is just based on the examples you listed.

Where I was going was that it would take an incredible amount of cash to bring the Del Rey up to the level of those hotels. I stopped by the Presidente during my last trip last January and was really impressed at how much it has been upgraded since I used to stay there in the early 2000's. I have to believe that the return on investment to upgrade the Del Rey to "family quality" would be poor based on the room rates the competitive hotels in the area are commanding right now.

Could be. Whoever owns it seems to be just trying to avoid paying past employees, if the article from last year is accurate.

I doubt they would be allowed to re-open in any way similar to the past. But that is only an opinion based on my very limited read on the anti-sex tourism push.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:01 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:

How about another souvenir store. There is a big need for more of those downtown.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:25 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:

Agree here. The idea of renovating and converting this to a "non-monger" maybe "eco-friendly" type hotel is simply idiotic. Afterall, who in the world comes to San Jose for non-monger reasons. What does Downtown SJ have to offer a normal traveler? Not much. Even if they did that, the immediate area around that hotel is the Shits. They would have to renovate ALL of that part of Downtown SJ sort of what happened to NY and the 42nd St./Bryant Park area years ago. CR should legalize Prostitution, Tax it and maybe convert the DR to something along the lines of the Moulin Rouge in Paris. Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:19 pm 

BondTrader wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:

Agree here. The idea of renovating and converting this to a "non-monger" maybe "eco-friendly" type hotel is simply idiotic. Afterall, who in the world comes to San Jose for non-monger reasons. What does Downtown SJ have to offer a normal traveler? Not much. Even if they did that, the immediate area around that hotel is the Shits. They would have to renovate ALL of that part of Downtown SJ sort of what happened to NY and the 42nd St./Bryant Park area years ago. CR should legalize Prostitution, Tax it and maybe convert the DR to something along the lines of the Moulin Rouge in Paris. Have a nice day.

Hey, everyone has their opinion. But downtown San Jose already has a lot more hotel space dedicated to non-mongers than to mongers...by far. And there is no need to make prostitution legal in CR, it already is. Or to put it more accurately, it is not illegal.

Anyway I also am one who wishes that it could go the way you suggest...that would be great. Just don't think that's what the country wants. As evidenced by the law against external promotion of prostitution, as in the Cuba Dave. So all I'm saying is "don't hold your breath for it to reopen in any way like in the past".

The place is within 3 or 4 blocks of several important tourist attractions - National Museum, Museum of Culture, Jade Museum, the National Assembly...anyway, without the DR and associated crime I suspect the area would be a tourist draw. Whereas now they quietly tell normal tourists to avoid the area around the DR because of crime, drugs, and of course prostitution.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:40 pm 

The U.S. State Department has been warning U.S. Tourists to avoid "Gringo Gulch" for years. Never stopped any of us though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:19 am 

Jawanker wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:

How about another souvenir store. There is a big need for more of those downtown.

I think we need a new store that specializes in covid masks, phone chargers, and phone cases.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:03 am 

Whitecat wrote:
Jawanker wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:

I think we need a new store that specializes in covid masks, phone chargers, and phone cases.

I heard it will be a second hand condom store

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:13 pm 

I'm sure they still have a pile of those in the dumpster out back.